Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)
  • Apple "Customer DIS-service"
  • Helios
    Free Member

I have NEVER been so **** angrey with customer service in my Life than today. My poxy **** apple **** iPhone 4S, all of 1 year, 2 weeks old (thats right kids – out of warranty by two whole weeks) has broken. Thew power/sleep button is physically stuck – I’mve not dropped it, not been flushing it down the toilet. not fed it to my dog. It just BROKE.

I went in to the **** apple store last week to speak to one of their blue t-shirted **** and he looked, said – “ah yes – it’s out of warranty, you’ll need to come back to speak to a **** genius” So i make an appointment to come back today to speak to one of their **** apple **** geniuses and what does the smug, halfwit **** **** tell me. “Sorry it’s out of warranty – there’ll be a charge to fix it of 140 **** pounds”

HOW MUCH? THAT@S LIKE ASKING ME TO BUY THE **** IPHONE AGAIN. ****!¬!

After severalspeechless attempts at comprehending how a company that reckons it’s all about the USER EXPERIENCE can treat it’s users with suchg utter **** comptempt I had to walk about. I mean – ONE HUNDRED AND FORTY **** POUNDS – has their **** apple money p[rinting maching run out of ink of or something? Why the **** couldn’t the first blue tishirted **** have told me that? Why did i have to go back again to speak to a different blue t-shirted ****. Had the first blue t-shirted **** not been on the special ‘How to be smug and patronising to customers’ training course? **** Apple. ****.

NB: Yes it’s out of warranty, yes i knew that if it broke after the 1st year i’d be the one to pay for it to be fixed, yes it’s all my own fault, yes **** Apple are evil and you’ve all been saying so for ages. None of those things remove the need for me to vent my rage… And I feel a lot better now. Thanks.

logical
    Free Member

They do apple care which would have extended the warranty to 2 years.

The customer service for Apple was the only thing that meant I kept an iPhone as long as I did.

jam-bo

£140 for an out of warranty replacement is better than you’d get out of any other smartphone manufacturer.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    cranberry
    Free Member

Isn’t the EU mandated warranty for consumer goods 2 years ?

MSP

I thought that 2 years was the minimum warranty period in Europe.

maccruiskeen

not in any sense is that like asking you to buy the phone again

but now its out of warentee theres absolutely nothing to stop you taking it elsewhere to get it fixed. Its always worth trying apple first as even out of warrantee some repairs and replacements get done for gratis. I had the body on my laptop replaced for free this year even though its 3 years out of warentee and I’m not even the first owner. No questions asked- they provided me with backup even though I wasn’t their customer.

druidh
    Free Member

Go back. Mention the Sale of Goods Act. This over-rides any manufacturers warranty and can be up to 6 years (5 years in Scotland). Also mention the EU Directive that gives you a minimum of two years on electrical goods.

bruneep

when my son broke his (dropped it whilst pished)they replaced FOC, I was told to go in and be chatty and nice to them previously .

You obviously went in as an angry man. 😉

philconsequence
    Free Member

not seen a rant like that in a while. good man. 8/10, only marked down for the fact i could understand what you were typing.

pixelmix
    Free Member

Nope, list price for a 4S seems to be £449 at the moment, so it’s a lot cheaper than a replacement. You could also try a friendly local iPhone repair shop who will no doubt do it for less. Maybe calm down and resume breathing before you call them though.

Cougar

Where can you get a 4S for £140?

Common fault anyway, there’s plenty of DIY fixes for it. Blowing dust out, flexing the case and so on. Hit google.

Also, there’s a software version of the Home button in accessibility options if all else fails.

benslow
    Free Member

As above – thought Apple had been taken to task somewhere/ how regarding EU 2yr warranty on goods.

And ahem, just saying like …. but Samsung and HTC do 2yr warranties on their smartphones.

Cletus
    Free Member

That charge seems pretty steep. I remember a work colleague getting the glass front replaced on his 3GS replaced a couple of years ago and it cost less than £100.

I was kind of impressed at the time (normally not an Apple fan) but agree that £140 is a bit steep. Would also be peeved if not told by the first “genius”

jota180
    Free Member

Here you go, I bet they don’t hand this out as a flyer 😀

http://www.apple.com/uk/legal/statutory-warranty/

wwaswas

I wonder if an stw ban for swear filter avoidance will improve the OP’s mood 😉

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Good assessment, Philly. I was erring towards and 8.5, but as you say, that underlying current of coherence just took the edge off it.

wors

£140 for an out of warranty replacement is better than you’d get out of any other smartphone manufacturer.

My nokia broke after 18 months, they fixed it free of charge, no questions. 😀

jota180
    Free Member

It’s only really a 7 maybe 7.5 for me

What I feel holds it back – as well as the coherence – is the limited use of non alphanumeric characters.
    A liberal dosing of !#$ etc. would have seen a better return IMO.

vinnyeh

Here you go, I bet they don’t hand this out as a flyer

http://www.apple.com/uk/legal/statutory-warranty/

My wife ran up against this issue.

Apple’s stance is that the issue had to exist when the phone (macbook air in our case) was sold, and it’s on the customer to prove this – i.e. not up to Apple to prove the item was flawless when sold.

andydicko
    Free Member

EU Consumer Law

Read Article 3 & 5, basically its up to you to prove the fault is something inherent on the Phone, if you can prove this then it should be repaired under Warranty, you have 2 months to file a claim from the point you originally reported the fault.

tonyd

I agree with Phil, excellent rant well done. I think you were a bit stingy on the score though Phil, while I could mostly understand what he was saying I did have to work at it in places. Also, very classy use of random capitalisation and odd characters.

A very worthy 9/10 from me.

Frankers
    Free Member

Similar also happened to my colleague when his iMac packed up after 18 months. They quoted £160 to repair the power source which had failed, he quoted various consumer rights/sales of goods acts but was told he would have to prove it failed and was not damaged by dropping/movement etc…

I recently had my Time capsule replaced which was bought in 2010 as i found out it was covered under my iPad applecare warranty, the guy at the genius bar did try and wriggle out of it though.

On high value Apple stuff i always extend the warranty now, and on my iPhone i get insurance as if it ever packs in “hammer time” the screen for replacement

Helios
    Free Member

You obviously went in as an angry man.

Nah – i was all cheerful cos I’d been playing with the iPad mini and decided i was getting one (for MrsH – not me obviously) for Christmas.

Good assessment, Philly. I was erring towards and 8.5,

Why thank you – that means a lot. I’ll work on the cohernace next time 😳

I wonder if an stw ban for swear filter avoidance will improve the OP’s mood

I’m stumped – where’s the swear filter avoidance? I deliberatly went with lots of nice recognisable sweareys so the filter would pick them up for me…

Where can you get a 4S for £140?

When i bought it on 2 year contract, I paid something like £150ish – so not that far off the £140 they’re asking for…

pixelmix
    Free Member

When i bought it on 2 year contract, I paid something like £150ish – so not that far off the £140 they’re asking for…

Yes, but you’re actually paying for it through your monthly charges no doubt.

maccruiskeen

are you really that naive?

Frankers
    Free Member

helios i understand your disappointment, maybe try someone like this though for a reasonably priced repair.

http://iphone-surgery.co.uk/collections/iphone-4s-repairs

philconsequence
    Free Member

a general lack of coherence would’ve afforded you a higher score, taking in other judges comments we could settle on an 8.5/10

top tips for the future: try and build up towards the end of the rant, increasing the use of ANGERCAPS as you go and less punctuation creates the image of a man smashing the keyboard and spitting fire, try to never end on ‘thanks’.

a worthy rant sir, well done 🙂

Cougar

Two years, at, what, £30/month? So that’s £860 in total.

By that logic, you can get a free one now. Result!

pixelmix
    Free Member

helios i understand your disappointment, maybe try someone like this though for a reasonably priced repair.

http://iphone-surgery.co.uk/collections/iphone-4s-repairs

Frankers, have you used them? I smashed the back glass on my 4S about 6 months ago and I might be tempted to finally replace it for the bargain price of £25!

jota180
    Free Member

Talking of naivety, when you take a, say, 2 year contract out, don’t they cover faults on the phone for the duration?
    I’ve never really thought about it, just presumed they would, I’ve never had a contract mind.

wrecker
    Free Member

I think he starred the swearies out himself. Hence 7.5.
    There’s a swear filter, use it.

Helios
    Free Member

are you really that naive?

Thanks, I’m actually INCREDIBLY naive.

Wait – Are you trying to say that maybe, just maybe it was cheaper because I was also paying through the nose for my monthly bills? 😉

I was making the point that their charge for fixing it is the same as the charge i paid to “buy” it in the first place – i wasn’t figuring the bills into the equation… My big CAPITAL rant would have been somewhat weakened if i’d applied some kind of logic to it.

Helios
    Free Member

wrecker – Member

I think he starred the swearies out himself. Hence 7.5.
    There’s a swear filter, use it.

Nope – all courtesy of the filter – It picked up on my nice array of “Fs”, “Ws” and “Ts” even a “C” I think… Now that i’ve calmed down slightly and taken to some self-criticism, I do regret not using more compound swearies. Will try harder next time to reach that all important 10/10…

On a serious note – I’d be interested if you’ve actually used that repair service Frankers – The nice man in the market said he would fix it for £40 but that he’d take it off to London to see the “technicians” which scared me slightly…

scuzz
    Free Member

Does anyone here think a £140 charge is reasonable for the repair?

bencooper
    Free Member

Meh. I had a (rather expensive) PowerBook that stopped working just outside the warranty. Took it to a “genius” who confirmed that the power board inside, a small circuit board about 1″x2″ with no expensive chips on it, had failed.

Then he asked for £650 to fix it.

I walked out and sold it on eBay for £800 🙂

logical
    Free Member

Normally they don’t repair. They just replace. So its £140 for a new phone (albeit a refurb).

wrecker
    Free Member

Nope – all courtesy of the filter – It picked up on my nice array of “Fs”, “Ws” and “Ts” even a “C” I think…

Instant upgrade to 8.5. That’s a score to be proud of.

MrSmith
    Free Member

just go to one of the walk in repair places wait 20min, give them £35 and walk out with repaired phone.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

+1 for the Sales of Goods Act!

Put your complaint in writing, stating if they don’t repair you will get an Engineers Report done. If its found the phone was faulty, they’ll have to pay the cost of that too. Be very clear you’re claiming under the Sales of Goods Act, NOT the Apple Warranty.

The only way you’d be at fault is if the Engineers Report found the you’d damaged the phone in such a way as to directly cause the fault with the switch.

i.e. if they find water ingress, but it didn’t damage the switch, Apple would still need to pay.

.. or just go to those walk-in phone repair places.

enfht
    Free Member

Why on earth do apple need to do anything without charging an excessive premium when they have legions of iFanbwoys?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘Apple "Customer DIS-service"’ is closed to new replies.