Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Fetching a bike from the USA
  • bonesetter
    Free Member

Can it be cheaper going and fetching a brand new one yourself?

I'm considering 2 bikes which are not UK available (and are just out, so none around anywhere)

I would like to try these 2 while I'm there to help decide which one to go for, and then would hope to bring back a *cough* used (dirty) frame & fork only costing ~$2.5K

uplink
    Free Member

Bring it back
    Chances are you'll walk straight through but factor in the chance of getting stopped & paying duty

Can't see any point in dirtying up just a frame & fork
    if the seller will under value it for you & give you a receipt to that effect, stick it in your bag somewhere & post the real one back home

cp

the lack of components could be a give-away…

I got stopped once on the way back from the states with a bike in a box… but I'd been living there for over 6 months so all was good (don't have to pay import stuff if you do that… could be extreme for you though 🙂 )

or take a crap bike out there and dump the frame, then put the new frame and old bits in the box, semi assembled 🙂

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

If you get caught you will get done for the 20% import duty, plus 17.5% VAT, plus a fine. They might believe a complete bike if its dirty but probably won't accept just a frame and fork, especially if you took nothing out

cynic-al
    Free Member

or take a crap bike out there and dump the frame, then put the new frame and old bits in the box, semi assembled

No record is kept of what you take out.

si-wilson
    Free Member

20% import duty

I don't think so. Normal import duty on frames originating from the US is 4.7% ish if i remember correctly, plus VAT on top.

cp

No record is kept of what you take out.

luggage tags? Not proof it's a bike, but at least the quantity of bags.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Where do you think any of that will get you?

If HMRC think you've brought in a new bike they'll be asking for the tax or a UK receipt, not luggage tags.

HitchinBoro
    Free Member

"If HMRC think you've brought in a new bike they'll be asking for the tax or a UK receipt, not luggage tags."

Surely the burden of proof is on them to prove you bought it over there, rather than you trying to prove you haven't?

Just take some wheels & various components out with you, bring them back with your frame and forks and I doubt they'll even check.

bonesetter
    Free Member

I tend to think HB has it about right. Take a bike bag with a wheelset, crankset and a couple more odds, and the game's on

On $2.5K ****t tax works out to be £406

cynic-al
    Free Member

I've flown with bikes many times, including tranatlantic. I've not been charged tax but know some who have.

Surely the burden of proof is on them to prove you bought it over there, rather than you trying to prove you haven't?

How on earth could they prove that? Have you ever dealt with tax authorities?

Just take some wheels & various components out with you, bring them back with your frame and forks and I doubt they'll even check.

They won't have a clue nor care what you took out with you but feel free to wate your time and money if you want to.

HitchinBoro
    Free Member

"They won't have a clue nor care what you took out with you but feel free to wate your time and money if you want to."

You're not taking them out to show you took something out, rather taking them out to bring them back and make it look as though you've been on a cycling holiday in America.

Ye I have dealt with tax authorities, thanks.

Contrary to your belief they cant just go around imposing taxes on people on a whim – My question was where does the burden of proof lie in these cases, on them or on you?

uplink
    Free Member

The opposite I'm afraid
    If they reasonably believe you're evading duty/taxes they can [& do] charge you duty with a penalty/seize the goods
    It's then up to you to appeal the decision & prove them wrong

cynic-al
    Free Member

You're not taking them out to show you took something out, rather taking them out to bring them back and make it look as though you've been on a cycling holiday in America.

ie: show that you took something out.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

The opposite I'm afraid
    If they reasonably believe you're evading duty/taxes they can [& do] charge you duty with a penalty/seize the goods
    It's then up to you to appeal the decision & prove them wrong

Exactly. And as well as import duty and VAT don't forget the fine on top of that. They will zoom in on bike bag. Better to take a large suitcase, split the frame and forks and pack them with your clothes

HeatherBash
    Free Member

>frame & fork only costing ~$2.5K<

Hmmm with the fantastic $/£ exchange rate we have at present that's circa £1600 plus £320 duty plus £336 vat plus flights and accommodation and a possible fine. Sounds like an absolute bargain…

Customs can sieze your frame pending an investigation into it's source regardless of what tatt you have bolted to it.

uplink
    Free Member

Can I just add?

………… you'll probably be fine you just have to be aware of the gamble

you've gotta ask yourself a question: "Do I feel lucky? … 😀

Well, do ya punk?

bonesetter
    Free Member

Heather, where do you get your maths from – you're way out

If I take a crank, crankset, wheels/tyres, bars, chain, brakes… and half build it up, it's impossible to say anything

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Fetching a bike from the USA’ is closed to new replies.