Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Festival cooking advice
  • jkomo

Hi, off to the Wilderness Festival on Friday. Just noticed gas cookers not allowed.
    Has anyone used the Trek Mates flameless system? Looks fab, but pricey.
    Any alternatives?

jam-bo

I’ve never bothered cooking at a festival.

sandwicheater

I’m with jam bo, have found not worth the hassle getting back to tent and possibly missing out on fun.

Stoner
    Free Member

Id never seen http://www.trekmates.co.uk/online-shop/flameless-cook-system before.

Looks cool. Anyone use it?
    Im a bit of a luddite when bivvying, with my MSR pocket rocket and Ti pan normally.
    Much advantage to the flameless system?

qwerty
    Free Member

get a curry from a local takeaway, delivered is a bonus, probably not in keeping with a “wilderness” festival but a very enjoyable way of eating

Mooly
    Free Member

I have been to many festivals and most say no gas cookers but they never check and probably only say it to keep the stall holders happy that they are trying to encourage more custom.
    As long as its not massive just take it.

jkomo

Yeah, but the odd cuppa in the morning, bacon butty, and kids food will cost a fortune to buy in.

jota180
    Free Member

As already intimated, just ignore the rule. Don’t be too obvious though

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

get a little hexamine stove

cheap as chips and so not the end of the world if it gets stolen. Just make sure it’s well ventilated (ie: use it outside) so you don’t gas yourself and/or stink the tent out.

z1ppy

jota180 – Member
    As already intimated, just ignore the rule. Don’t be too obvious though

+1 as long as your using a camping stove and not trundling in with a 15KG gas bottle or camped next to the gates where security can see you, no ones gunna bother you.
    I feel your pain of feeding a family at a festival.. not a cheap experience. Same goes with those “no beer to be taken into stage area’s” rules, I believe they cannot legally pat you down.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

The no gas rule is mainly because at festivals like Leeds tha last night is a warzone with people getting seriously injured by idiots throwing them on bonfires. And however semsible you may be, nowt stopping someone taking your gas stove and throwing it on the neaest fire for a ‘laugh’.

Clas Ohlson do a trangia rip-off for about £20. I’ve got a ‘real’ one which is better in a few ways, but not £30 better unless you use it a lot.

Same goes with those “no beer to be taken into stage area’s” rules, I believe they cannot legally pat you down.

True, but their festival their rules. If you don’t accept being searched then they can refuse you entry, the tickets will have R.O.A.R or similar on them.

z1ppy

I know ,but if they charged reasonable prices you happily pay them, but £4 or more for a pils size bottle is rubbish.
    TBH they don’t tend to pat you down, they just ask to show what in your bags, que much clinking as you walk 😀

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

maccruiskeen

Clas Ohlson do a trangia rip-off for about £20. I’ve got a ‘real’ one which is better in a few ways, but not £30 better unless you use it a lot.

for trangia type stoves theres a sort of waxy gel (called ‘green heat’ I think) you can buy in pots to use in the place of meths – doesn’t stink or soot up your cookware, longer lasting, easier to extinguish so you don’t waste it and you can’t spill it. The pot just goes straight in the place where the spirit burner usually goes

emsz
    Free Member

I’ve hidden little burners in the bottom of rucksacks, but honestly, I gave up on taking stuff like that to festivals ages ago. My packing nowadays consists of

Wellies/ flip flops
    Money
    Spare tampons
    Change of Knicks.
    Toothbrush

jkomo

Emsz, I envy you.

jkomo

Not the tampon bit.

wrightyson
    Free Member

I’ve never seen the no gas thing before ( that’s prob because we didn’t read it) but noticed its not allowed in v fest! Took one last yr and we’ll be doing the same this yr.

emsz
    Free Member

Jkomo, I wouldn’t mind, but this one doesn’t seem to know when to stop or start!! 2 weeks now, I wish it would make up it’s mind!!

Lol probably sharing to much, right?

jkomo

It’s okay, I am familiar with the, cough, that sort of thing.
    Being super fit can mess up the old system I bit I think.
    Maybe that’s it.

jkomo

Fit in an cardio vascular sense.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Festival cooking advice’ is closed to new replies.