Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Fencing. Advice needed.
  • pguy78
    Free Member

Rebuilding a storm damaged fence. Putting.in new post which are 2.4. Dug my post holes to 60cm (2ft) should I also bother using metal spikes on the post then postcret or just postcret them into the holes.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Just postcret them into the holes, no need for metal spikes.

pguy78
    Free Member

Cheers. Saves a job now I can have a fiddle with my bike to fill the whole time I told the missus I’d be working on the fence.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

I’m putting spikes in and bolt in the posts, means I can then unbolt in the future and swop out and no more digging. 3 week date for panels round here, so its all dug out and waiting.

qwerty
    Free Member

[hijack] if I’m putting up concrete H posts for 6′ wide panels, how wide should the gap actually be for the panel? Shirley 6′ dead is a little too snug, no? Add an 1/8″ or 1/4″ or 1/2″ ??? [/hijack]

Inbred456
    Free Member

Don’t use postcrete. It makes the post too rigid and so susceptible to snapping when it weakens with age. Then you have to try and dig the bugger out to replace it. I use broken bricks and rubble, this allows the post to give a little bit but also the water can drain away if we ever get dry day. I used 4 x 3 inch posts. No sign of movement yet after 2 yrs. Easy to dig the rubble out to replace the post if it does snap.

oldboy
    Free Member

I’m putting spikes in and bolt in the posts, means I can then unbolt in the future and swop out and no more digging. 3 week date for panels round here, so its all dug out and waiting.

Hope you are using good quality spikes, as I’ve seen some rust through before the fence posts need replacing!

Basil

Concrete posts, concreted in the ground, arris rails and close board lapped.
    Never will I use them panels again (bitter resentment)

mrben100
    Free Member

Inbred456 – Member
    Don’t use postmix. It makes the post too rigid and so susceptible to snapping when it weakens with age. Then you have to try and dig the bugger out to replace it. I use broken bricks and rubble, this allows the post to give a little bit but also the water can drain away if we ever get dry day. I used 4 x 3 inch posts. No sign of movement yet after 2 yrs. Easy to dig the rubble out to replace the post if it does snap.

I too had heard similar point along these lines – when concreted in ground water can sit on the top surface causing the post to rot at that point. Was advised rammed earth for the posts was better as free draining – but the rubble would in theory have a similar function.

Might be bolx mind.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Hope you are using good quality spikes, as I’ve seen some rust through before the fence posts need replacing!

Well I did the other half of the garden 12 years ago like this and after the recent storms, the posts and spikes are fine, just the tatty panels letting the side down, so fingers crossed the new ones last as long.

avdave2

I’ve just replaced a fence and this time I started with concrete repair spurs so there is no longer anything in the ground to rot. 2ft concreted into the ground and 2ft above with the wooden posts bolted to them using threaded rod which is cheaper than buying bolts. I’ve also built it to let the wind through using pressure treated roofing battens.- putting up a solid barrier where we are only has one winner in the long run.
    Concrete posts are good as well but dam heavy, you’ll probably need help if you are going to use them.

timbur
    Free Member

Hit and Miss fencing I did recently.
    4×4 posts dry mixed in the ground.
    Gravel boards spaced to give privacy but allow wind through.
    Boards screwed not nailed.
    Satisfying!

tymbian
    Free Member

What inbred said! I use Type 1 aka MOT rammed in hard. Couple of inches in the bottom ( not a euphamism ) of thehole, post in, Type 1 or rubble in around and compacted.

robland
    Free Member

I put a fence up last year i used solid concrete posts the ones with the pre drilled holes in.you just bolt your panel straight to the post. I also have fence with slotted concrete panel post. The slotted ones have cracked and the panels rattle because the panels shrink after time.

tinribz
    Free Member

After breaking my back digging out snapped concreted in, used spikes a couple of years ago. This year’s non stop rain & wind has left it well wobbly. Clay soil doesn’t help. Just broken bricks and rubble doesn’t sound like it would be that stable either.

gears_suck
    Free Member

All this is subjective because as tinribz eludes to above, everything is dependent upon the type of ground in which the posts are going.

avdave2

Just broken bricks and rubble doesn’t sound like it would be that stable either.

It won’t be but you may well be able to ram it all down again and even if you have to dig some out it’s easier than concrete. But if you build it as timbur and myself have to let the wind through you’ll have a lot less problems.

gears_suck
    Free Member

As usual, no ones listening.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Fencing. Advice needed.’ is closed to new replies.