Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • Favourite Pratchett books?
  • RustySpanner

Just finished I Shall Wear Midnight.

Thought it was excellent, thought provoking, moving and very funny.

So, my revised top three are:

Small Gods
    Wyrd Sisters
    I Shall Wear Midnight

With Night Watch a very strong runner up.

Whats yours?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Thud.

nbt

Guards Guards and Good Omens

jimster
    Free Member

Soul Music

llama

Our copy of Good Omens has been read so many times that it is starting to fall apart

For Pratchet solo, near enough anything with Rincewind in it. I don’t like the Vimes character much.

cranberry
    Free Member

Small Gods- both funny and with a definite point to it.

stumpy01

Oooooh, “I shall wear midnight” will be my next read then!!

I’ve read most of them, if not all – not sure I have a favourite though.

Going Postal sticks in my mind though, as does Thief of Time and the one that is mainly about Golems (the name escapes me).

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I think I’ve only read Nightwatch, I enjoyed it.

sslowpace
    Free Member

Loads for me, Mort, Reaper man was excellent (Miss Flitworth at the end was very, ahem, moving), Granny Weatherwax, Vimes, …

Actually most of them.
    I find that it’s the ones that have a very poignant moment that stays with you.

Some recent ones, for me, havent been so great. Will have to re-read them.

mogrim

Good Omens without a shadow of a doubt.

z1ppy

All of them, (if it’s discworld) I have a tendancy to get the new one, read it, then start again on the whole lot, finally re-reading the new one again.
    Really a favorite? No too many great characters… the Wytches, the night watch, Death, Rincewind…

chrisdb
    Free Member

Interesting Times for me. Also like The Truth.

momo

My favorites are the watch books, I really like Vimes, I do the same as z1ppy does and re-read the books every so often.

sslowpace
    Free Member

Bill Door was the BEST CHARACTER. EVER.

toys19
    Free Member

Equal Rites, first one I read, and have re read it many times since, excellent.

BenjiM

Reaper Man, Going Postal, Small Gods and Wyrd Sisters. However I’ve enjoyed all of them and currently reading I shall wear Midnight. My going postal is signed too 🙂

cranberry
    Free Member

oops – posty doubleness.

yunki
    Free Member

anything with the Nac Mac Feegle gets my vote..

VanHalen

pyramids. purely for You Bastard.

guards guards and good omens.

also Eric.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Van Halen – Member

😆

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Anything with the Men of the Watch, especially that cynical B*astard Vimes. Genius character whose development from the alcoholic in Guards, Guards through to the man he is in Thud and Nightwatch is just brilliantly written.

I still think ‘Jingo’ is one of his finest as a commentary on war, race and religion and ending with Vimes attempting to arrest two armies on charges of ‘breach of the peace’ and ‘going equipped to cause affray’ is shear genius.

That and the opening description of the ‘Curious Squid’ means im laughing before I’ve made it off the opening page!

NorthShaun
    Free Member

Soul Music… music with rocks in it! 😀

NorthShaun
    Free Member

LOVE THE WAY DEATH TALKS IN CAPITALS!

49er_Jerry
    Free Member

I’m a big Pratchett fan, and really enjoy the DW series. I prefer the earlier books personally, particularly the Witches and Guards series.

However, IMO his best book by far is Nation. Sheer brilliance. He’s used all the beauty and skills honed in the DW series and created a whole culture on an Island. It isn’t one of his mainstream books, but is well worth a read.

pitduck
    Free Member

Guards Guards 😀

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Oddly, I found Nation to be a little too “preachy” for me. Still, lovely writing!

Used to have a great Playstation game, with Rincewind voiced by Eric Idle, which really tapped in to the wit and humour of his writing.

cb

I have hardbacks for Nightwatch, Thud and Going Postal for sales if anybody wants them

nobtwidler
    Free Member

I love the discworld books but think Nation which isn’t discworld is his best

finbar
    Free Member

I was a huuuge Pratchett fan (not so much now), but my mum started me on the Truckers/Diggers/Wings books. God i disliked those. I “rediscovered” him through the Discworld books about three years later and didn’t look back.

My favourite recent Pratchett books have been Making Money and Going Postal. Even though they share a plot, i enjoyed them both a lot.

Northwind

Night Watch, or maybe Lords and Ladies, or possibly Reaper Man.

bigbloke
    Free Member

Guards Guards and Nightwatch

Sawyer
    Free Member

Going Postal/Making Money are excellent. The Truth is good. All the Vimes books are great, Jingo, The Fifth Elephant especially.

Oh, and Mort and Hogfather go without saying.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Two of my most precious knickknacks are a ‘Death on Binky’ and ‘Great a’Tuin’ figures from Clarecraft.

Getting rare, too.

blades2000
    Free Member

For me it has to be either Night Watch, Guards Guards or the last continent

stucol
    Free Member

Have read about 15 of the Discworld books and two weeks ago a colleague gave me all the rest of them on loan. Just as well i’m on holiday at the moment.

Favourites are Reaper Man, Going Postal and Guards! Guards!.

Like Commander Vimes, DEATH, Susan Sto Helit and any of the Igor’s. And of course Captain Carrot (who does’nt ?).

nbt

Getting rare, too.

I’ve got a Death bookend. I’d bought it for my mate as a present for his marriage but his missus made it clear that she’d never allow anything like that so I kept it and bought him something else.

They got divorced.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

He should have seen the signs.

I’ve got some bookends, too. Great things.

ratadog

Agree, You Bastard features in my Clarecraft collection.

Favourite books probably Men at Arms and Nightwatch although any of the Watch or Witches novels will do me fine. Also agree Nation is a wonderful book.

kimbers

jingo is very clever
    mort /reaper man my fave though

CHB

My wife and i refer to crap sausages and other meat products as C.M.O.T.

No one gets this.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Favourite Pratchett books?’ is closed to new replies.