Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • favourite municipal recycling centre
  • rob2
    Free Member

just been to oakley wood dump near wallingford, in lovely countryside, no queue, nice people!

Much better than reading.

So anyone else have a favourite? ! Or do people get out more?!

rootes1

none of the ones that i'm designing/working on at the moment…. lol

eddie11
    Free Member

what a dull subject, yet i feel i have to contribute

I don't have a favourite but the nearest one to us (about a mile away) is actually in the council next door and it is covered in signs saying 'this tip is for X council residents only' (i.e. not me but i still use it) but the one that is meant to be 'ours' is all the way over the other side of our borough.

It seems daft to me. i dont care where the invisible council boundaries are.

jon1973
    Free Member

none of the ones that i'm designing/working on at the moment…. lol

You mean people design those things? I thought they just positioned half a dozen huge skips in a row for poeple to throw stuff in.

AlasdairMc

jon1973 – Member

You mean people design those things? I thought they just positioned half a dozen huge skips in a row for poeple to throw stuff in.

You clearly haven't been to the one in Sighthill in Edinburgh, highly recommended as there's loads of space and you can recycle pretty much anything.

GrahamS

I just take my old stuff to the local woods, leave it there, then call the Flytipping Hotline who show up and remove it after a month or two.

rob2
    Free Member

lol at grahams

It is a completely dull subject I admit!

rootes1

yep new ones – lots more thought is going into them these days – one we are doing is in doors with a living roof…

jon1973
    Free Member

You clearly haven't been to the one in Sighthill in Edinburgh, highly recommended as there's loads of space and you can recycle pretty much anything.

A 900 mile round trip is a long way to recyle my old bottles 😉

To be fair, ours is basic but well run – helpful and curtious staff. Always a bit of a queue if you go on a nice day at the weekend as there only half a dozen parking spaces.

rootes1

interesting what people call these places..

the dump, the tip, civic amenitiy site, HWRC, RC

I always liked the dump

skidartist
    Free Member

The one in Forres in Morayshire hosts a recycling charity, as you go to dispose of stuff you have the option to either put your stuff in the skip or donate it to them, they sort it, mend it and then offer it for sale

You might leave with more than you arrived with

andy_hamgreen

class thread !

this is what makes stw so great

Pigface
    Free Member

I did a site inspection on Oakley wood 🙂 excellent facility.

Dear God this has to be the most dull thread ever. 😉

Dylan08
    Free Member

Towcester / Northampton – anything that is saleable is put onto Tables and sold off for £5 or £10. Picked up a Kona for a tenner couple of Years ago (Explosif – my mate is still commutying on it now and loves it) 🙂

ourmaninthenorth

interesting what people call these places..

the dump, the tip, civic amenitiy site, HWRC, RC

I always liked the dump

I worked for 3.5 years on the (legal aspects of) the Great Manchester Waste PFI (at the time, the largest waste PFI at £4bn value). I refused to refer to them as HWRCs, and always called them "the dump", which made my clients at the Authority visibly angry every time..! 😀

rob2
    Free Member

they have stats at the dump/rc/tip about how much was recycled and what went to landfill.

I think that's a nice touch. 😉

rootes1

I refused to refer to them as HWRCs, and always called them "the dump", which made my clients at the Authority visibly angry every time..!

yep council's hate it if you refer to HWRC's are the tip or the dump – having said that a study found that most members of the public use the term dump/tip with civic amenity a long way back in third…

dull thread but then to a Chartered Wastes Manager – quite interesting! lol

rootes1

Nice – waste iconography

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I just use a lay by about 5 mins from my house, though Wallingford isn't that far from me so I could take a visit. Can't imagine it's as scenic as the lay by I use though!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘favourite municipal recycling centre’ is closed to new replies.