Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • Fat ? – Yes please.
  • Solo
    Free Member

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/10679227/Saturated-fat-is-not-bad-for-health-says-heart-expert.html

British health experts and nutritionists backed his comments claiming that for too long ‘uncomfortable facts’ have been stifled by ‘dietry dogma.

🙂

Drac

I thought that was old news?

Solo
    Free Member

I thought that was old news?

Well, its dated today 😉

Thank you.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Anyone else?
    Nom nom.

GrahamS

And in other diet news, a high protein diet is as bad as smoking 20 a day:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science-news/10676877/High-protein-diet-as-bad-for-health-as-smoking.html

kimbers

if you read the (sat fat) article the majority of evidence and scientists dont support that view

but the telegraphs science articles are notoriously shoddy

Im surprised that we didnt have a thread about the iDave/ Paleo diets massively increasing your cancer risk though
    http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn25158-i-can-has-cheezburger-protein-cancer-risk-overblown.html#.Uxg_2Pl_t8E

Solo
    Free Member

And in other diet news, a high protein diet is as bad as smoking 20 a day:

Yeap, did you notice a lack of fat ?

The article seems to dicsuss protein intake, in the context of a low fat diet.

Its the lack of fat in the diet that has been linked to an increased risk of stoke and cancer, not the inclusion of protein.

Innuit traditionally survived on meat AND fat and had very low incidence of cancer, stroke, diabetes, obesity.
    🙂

Solo
    Free Member

if you read the (sat fat) article the majority of evidence and scientists dont support that view

I think that if you read the article, you may note that the medical establishment has been stuck in a dietary dogma born in the 1950s and in the more recent past, anyone who spoke out against that dogma, was ingnored.

Its some kind of process of natural selection. The smart people will observe the science and enjoy better health, the rest will continue to believe in flawed scientific dogma and, well, take statins.

GrahamS

What’s the average lifespan of a traditional Inuit, Solo?

Solo
    Free Member

What’s the average lifespan of a traditional Inuit, Solo?

What was the incidence of cancer and stroke in the Massai at the turn of the 20th century ?

geoffj

There are health reasons over and above cardiac issues why some folk should consider keeping an eye on their sat fat intake.

TerryWrist
    Free Member

Solo

I think I preferred it

when you wrote your posts
    about fad diets in the old TSY days

when they read like some sort of poem

And included mental stuff about milk.

kimbers

solo do you eat whale meat 3 times a day? you are gonna live forever man!

GrahamS

What was the incidence of cancer and stroke in the Massai at the turn of the 20th century ?

Excellent.

Lower your risk of stroke or cancer by simply dying of something else first 😆

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Bacon sandwich on toast is just wrong.

miketually
    Free Member

Im surprised that we didnt have a thread about the iDave/ Paleo diets massively increasing your cancer risk though

That study came up on the “lose 14lb in 14 weeks” thread.

Solo
    Free Member

Bacon sandwich on toast is just wrong.

Yeap, thats a bacon sandwich fail. No eggs.
    🙁

disco_stu
    Free Member

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn25158-i-can-has-cheezburger-protein-cancer-risk-overblown.html#.Uxg_2Pl_t8E

From the New Scientist link the evidence is from a survey of peoples diet from animal protein and not suprisingly quite a few researchers disagree with the findings.

“Collins isn’t convinced. “We don’t need to do anything different, and nor should we be worried [on the strength of this study],” she says.”

16stonepig
    Free Member

This is of interest to me, having been told that I need to switch to a low-carb, high-fat diet, for medical reasons.

brakes
    Free Member

this is confusing, can anyone summarize before lunchtime?
    I fear my next meal is critical to my survival and I’ve a report to get out this afternoon.

miketually
    Free Member

This was a pretty good take down of the “protein as bad as smoking” research: http://www.zoeharcombe.com/2014/03/animal-protein-as-bad-as-smoking/

geoffj

this is confusing, can anyone summarize before lunchtime?

Everything in moderation (including moderation)!

geoffj

It’s interesting that the protein stuff mirrors the findings of the china study – which has had mixed reviews at best.

kimbers

it bears further research but I wouldnt worry too much, certainly the association between too much red meat and (bowel) cancer incidence is well known

everything in moderation and is the take home message, again

binners

Hang on a minute? Does this mean I have to nip to Greggs? Or start smoking again? Or both? Or neither?

Why is everything so complicated? 😥

grum
    Free Member

The only safe thing left is smoking Greggs sausage rolls.

lemonysam
    Free Member

Why is everything so complicated?

Simplify matters and cover both bases simply by smoking sausage rolls.

edit: beaten to it.

grum
    Free Member

😀

warton
    Free Member

someone put a comment on the times website, in response to the protein story.

He basically said (and I’m paraphrasing)

I don’t eat meat, I don’t drink Milk, I don’t smoke, I drink very rarely. I eat whole foods, mainly organic.

I got cancer.

eat what you want within reason, don’t get hung up on it. there will always be a demon food in the news, it means nothing.

sums it up nicely i think…

brakes
    Free Member

what about eating cigars? they’re organic aren’t they?

Jamie
    Free Member

The only safe thing left is smoking Greggs sausage rolls.

Binners will be overjoyed. He loves smoking sausages.

binners

GrahamS

“Love To Share” – I think that’s a bit optimistic 😀

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Now the WHO is ‘recommending’ that the intake of sugar is cut by a half, and the Chief Medical Officer mooting a sugar tax. For as long as there is a professional ‘health’ lobby we’ll continue to suffer a constant drizzle of this less than subtle nagging.

GrahamS

Now the WHO is ‘recommending’ that the intake of sugar is cut by a half

Won’t get fooled again.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

I see that so far no-one’s mentioned the evil monster that is sucrose.

Jamie
    Free Member

I see that so far no-one’s mentioned the evil monster that is sucrose.

geoffj

I see that so far no-one’s mentioned the evil monster that is sucrose fructose.

FTFY

http://www.newscientist.com/blogs/culturelab/2012/12/is-the-obesity-epidemic-caused-by-too-much-sugar.html

kimbers

kimbers

ohnohesback – Member
    Now the WHO is ‘recommending’ that the intake of sugar is cut by a half, and the Chief Medical Officer mooting a sugar tax. For as long as there is a professional ‘health’ lobby we’ll continue to suffer a constant drizzle of this less than subtle nagging.

youre right theyll be going after smoking next!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Fat ? – Yes please.’ is closed to new replies.