Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 83 total)
  • FAT TYRE FOR 29ER
  • firestarter
    Free Member

Oh btw with the enabler fork I'm presuming its a 26 wheel with huge tyre to make it 29er size

Sam

RR 2.4 are the highest volume, Mountain King 2.4 are the biggest including knobs.

mollski
    Free Member

WHATS the fatest tyer you can put on a stan size rim please?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    AJ
    Free Member

Fork £89
    tyre £80
    rim £50
    chub hub £150

But you could do it cheaper

It does ride really well and not much of a weight penalty

big_scot_nanny

Not sure about tyres on stan's rims, sorry, but I will throw in a couple fo observations.

I use conti MKs 2.4s back and front, and also RR 2.4s when dry out.

RRs are, as others have said, massive. They are also pretty light (I have folding), and this is a pretty noticeable difference compared to MKs. You can really feel the reduction in rolling mass when you are fighting to get up something tiring. I have also found that RRs wash out pretty damn quickly in loose dry corners. It is predictable, but they are deffo lacking in grip.

MKs feel heavier (perhaps both drag and weight), but for my riding they offer very good grip and shed mud nae bother at all. My riding is mostly forest.

They do wear pretty fast on the rear however.

Kev

mollski
    Free Member

THANKS for that kev

AJ i emailed you today re buying your bars?also can you please tell me how to do it cheaper in your last post please?

AJ
    Free Member

any rear 26" wheel will work fatter the rim the better i ran my tyre on a 30mm easton havoc wheel for about2 months with no real issues ( just couldn't run uber low pressure)

you can pick up a cheap trials rim for £20 and any 135mm spaced single speed screw on hub will work check out CRC bound to get a (old dirt jump hub) bargain

the tyre and fork are fixed in priced

mollski
    Free Member

ok your photo of your bike is sweet man

firestarter
    Free Member

Cheers aj, out of interest why does it need to be a screw on ss hub. The seen a non off set pug fork that was 100mm that may work too I think

AJ
    Free Member

Doesn't need to be but it just gives a cleaner finish/ or yes the 100mm pugs fork works, well with a 100mm hub

singlespeedstu

Mick.
    Check the AtoC length you need before you buy a Pugsley fork.
    It's shorter than the Enabler so might not be suitable for a suspension corrected 29er frame.

Got my Enabler fitted and ready for the Larry tyre which should be with me on Thursday.

firestarter
    Free Member

Cheers aj and put it rings a bell that I think I'd need a salsa fork on The karate monkey. Cheers

Chainline
    Free Member

Singlespeedstu, if you don't get your larry, let me know, I have a spare endomorph you can borrow
    Got my Larry from Billy's

Sam

2.4 Mountain Kings just come in stock. Good price for STWers. Drop me a line…

mollski
    Free Member

hi sam were can i get them from please?

mollski
    Free Member

hi sorry to be thick anybody tell me and show me some larrys please?

chainline how much for your spare endo? 😆

singlespeedstu

Chainline.

That's very kind of you and if it doesn't turn up tomorrow i might have to take you up on that. 8)

mollski
    Free Member

hi sam how much are the tyers please?

coastkid
    Free Member

Fitting wider rims will proberly make more difference to you tyre spread than actual tyre width,if on a budget look at Kris Holm 29er rims at around £40, liking the interest in surly tyre front end set ups 😮
    i recommend fat front and rear 😮

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

I'm really tired of the "what's it for" questions out on the trail!!! – Use your brains people!!

mollski
    Free Member

coastkid do you no of anybody that has these kris holm 29er rims,if so what tyer can you use any advice please,many thanks

firestarter
    Free Member
    mollski
    Free Member

MINT i will order them now

Chainline
    Free Member

Larry
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/the_pilot/4885225844%5B/img%5D

Surly Larry 3.8 & WTB Weirwolf 2.55 by philip.pryor, on Flickr

Endomorph

http://www.flickr.com/photos/the_pilot/3797945534%5B/img%5D

url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/the_pilot/3797945534/][/url]
    Jones 3D; JJ test;geared; by philip.pryor, on Flickr

Basically the Larry is more trail focussed, the Endo a bit more Snow/Sand/loose focussed, although it works on both just fine. The Larry deals with mud grip a little better and steers more 'normally' due to a more rounded profile with the knobs, the Endo can feel more 'vague' and 'slower' although it really just steers a little heavier, its no slower in terms of steering, it feels more vague due to its more floaty nature, however this is if comparing at the same pressures. If you run the Endo a little harder than the Larry it feels very similar.

Nightmare with posting pics so links included!

Sam

MTN K 2.4 £22ea posted in the UK. email (in profile) to order.

Chainline
    Free Member

Very frustrating I can't get Weirwolfs in the UK anymore!

firestarter
    Free Member

just looked for an enabler fork ;-( non til dec. might just do with some new wheels and huge tyres 😉

Chainline
    Free Member

firestarter, what about a vicous fork, there are a few such forks in the US produced for fat bikes.

Chainline
    Free Member

Firestarter, The Wildfire custom fork would work for you, but 10wk delivery, so Dec doesn't sound so bad, no where is the US got an enabler?

Chainline
    Free Member

Worth a try I'd say if you really want one 😀

http://smartbikeparts.com/search_details.php?itm=FK0515

firestarter
    Free Member

lol think i might just have to go with new wheels and tyres for now as i need a new set really thats why ive been looking for ideas as i thought if ive gotta buy anyway i may as well buy one than just make the front big 😉

Chainline
    Free Member

@singlespeedstu, do I need to bring my Endo or did you get Larry 😆

singlespeedstu

The Larry has landed.
    It's on and ready to roll. 😆

Thanks for the offer though, very good of you.
    BTW what pressure you got in yours? I tried 10psi then dropped it down to 6psi in the all important ride it up and down the street test. 🙄

Look out for the worlds shonkyest bike* with a brand new fat front end. 😉

*Current ladies SSUK champion frame that I've kind of borrowed. 😆

mollski
    Free Member

chainline thank you for post the larry photos,ok im a bit lost here ,does the larry fit a stan 29er wheel ,or is it a fat 26er? sorry if this gets on some folks tits,but nobody around were i live has heard of what i would like to do.

singlespeedstu

The Larry's a 26er tyre that gives the same outside diameter as a 29er tyre.

Chainline
    Free Member

Like what Singlespeedstu said, you need a fairly wide, I'd say minimum 50mm rim to fit it.

Singlespeedstu, I find between 4.5psi and 8psi depending on conditions, I run 6-7psi most of the time but ran 4.5psi at SITS at the weekend cos the ground was rock 'ard.

mollski
    Free Member

ok thank you

tazzymtb

4.5 psi, bloomin heck! I take it you just blow it up with your mouth like a big balloon then?

singlespeedstu

I thought 6 felt just about right for some knarlytarmac. 😆

It makes a great noise when you lean it into a tight turn 8)

I keep thinking more and more about a fat bike.
    The salsa looks so tempting.

epicyclo

I'm soon to join the fat people – I've got a set of 100mm rims on order.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 83 total)

The topic ‘FAT TYRE FOR 29ER’ is closed to new replies.