Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)
  • Fasting
  • TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I was putting forward a normal solution to the current problem… not suggesting it was what the average person currently does!

Fasting IMO, is a bit ‘out there’ to help the average person.

emsz
    Free Member

Safe to say me and food aren’t bff.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

You don’t even eat sausages.

kcr
    Free Member

…it frees up a lot of time…

But preparing your own food and eating it should be a pleasurable way to spend time, and has positive benefits other than just satisfying your energy requirements.

…it’s pretty cool to be able to go 20+h without getting tired or ratty about not eating if the need arises…

I know some unfortunate people cannot afford to feed themselves, but for most of us, when is it necessary to survive a full day without food? This reminds me of the Tommy Simpson biography “Put Me Back on My Bike” where they describe pro cyclists in the 60s supposedly “training” themselves to do without water by riding enormous distances in hot weather without drinking.

BoardinBob

Fasting IMO, is a bit ‘out there’ to help the average person.

Again, I agree. It’s not for the normal person. As I mentioned at the outset it’s for those that are already lean and have their diet 100% sorted.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Fair enough BB… how hard do you exercise when not eating for 20 hours at a time?

crikey
    Free Member

But preparing your own food and eating it should be a pleasurable way to spend time, and has positive benefits other than just satisfying your energy requirements.

That is where a significant part of our problems with food lie.

We’ve taken a basic physiological need and seen it develop into an activity with so much baggage attached that we, as humans in a society where food is plentiful, cannot have a ‘normal’ relationship with it.

We still have fairly basic drives for shelter, warmth and food, but haven’t developed a method of regulating our intake in a way that avoids us getting obese. We are still animals who think starvation is only a week or so away, so eat accordingly if we don’t conciously try to over-ride that stimulus.

finbar
    Free Member

I know some unfortunate people cannot afford to feed themselves, but for most of us, when is it necessary to survive a full day without food?

It was actually really helpful not having to worry about making breakfast and making / finding somewhere to buy lunch when i was camping in Scotland last week.

Again, I agree. It’s not for the normal person. As I mentioned at the outset it’s for those that are already lean and have their diet 100% sorted.

I totally agree with this. Fasting would be hard and (i think) fairly pointless if i wasn’t already fully happy with my diet otherwise.

Fair enough BB… how hard do you exercise when not eating for 20 hours at a time?

Not directed at me, but i ran ~4 miles slow and did 3*10 sets of leg raises at the pull up bar halfway round this morning. On Saturday i did a parkrun (17.37) and then rode ~25 miles, before having a huge lunch.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

That’s pretty fast… 😯

So do you just eat a whole days food in one sitting rather than spreading it out through the day?

tails
    Free Member

On Saturday i did a parkrun (17.37)

Impressive, I’ve signed up for my local one but have not been yet.

finbar
    Free Member

Ta TSY. My PB is a little faster (17.23) but i freely admit that was breakfasted-up and with more carbs than usual the night before 😀

So do you just eat a whole days food in one sitting rather than spreading it out through the day?

That’s absolutely what i do, although it’s more like:
    6pm banana & some carrots/leftovers/something prior to some sort of exercise
    7.30pm ish – big dinner – usually some sort of meat(s) and veg, maybe roast potatoes
    8.30/9pm ish – pudding – maybe a big bit of cheese, some coconut or something involving lots of cream

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Right, sod the fasting diet tips… give us some fast running tips!

Can’t see fasting working for me, ever. 100% happy with my diet, as lean as I’ll ever be… which is why I see no rational reason for adopting it. Thanks for answering my questions though!

BoardinBob

I’ve only ever done it a on a Sunday and it’s generally been a gentle cycle for a couple of hours.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Ahhh… do you reckon you could train regularly and with intensity whilst doing it?

boxfish
    Free Member

…just eat decent home cooked food.
    Do some exercise.
    Don’t snack.

Seems to work for me. 10 lbs down in 3 weeks. 10 lbs to go. I don’t intend to go back to snacking on sugary cr*p and eating processed junk. Well, maybe the odd takeaway 😈

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

boxfish – it works for everyone… as long as they actually do it.

finbar
    Free Member

Right, sod the fasting diet tips… give us some fast running tips!

Surfer to the thread please !

emsz
    Free Member

Any tips on recovery after a sprained ankle would be good as well. Haven’t run for ages now, feeling fat and unfit. Can’t even cycle that well ( hurts when I flex my ankle)

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Write the alphabet in the air with your toes twice a day.

Balance with your eyes closed whilst standing one legged on a cushion. (Work up to this by doing it with open eyes / not on a cushion)

Walk along a skipping rope laid on the floor.

Stretch the ankle in every direction you can think of but don’t do it so it’s painful.

Massage gently the painful area… you may have scar tissue you need to massage out.

alfabus
    Free Member

as a slight aside, this thread is highly amusing if you read it all with the word ‘fasting’ replaced with ‘farting’.

IGMC.

Dave

sadexpunk

Ahhh… do you reckon you could train regularly and with intensity whilst doing it?

i prefer weight training fasted as i feel sharper. some people take bcaa before a workout, i can take or leave them. but it certainly works up an appetite and then its eat eat eat once ive finished 🙂

Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Fasting’ is closed to new replies.