Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • Fasting
  • tails
    Free Member

I have had a brief read about fasting as a weight loss tool. I follow a moderate idave diet and lose around 4 pounds a week then at the weekend I put it back on. I was thinking about fasting every monday so I can get under 12 stone.

Anyone tried fasting?

druidh
    Free Member

How are you putting on 4 pounds at the weekend? what are you doing differently?

wwaswas

then at the weekend I put it back on

4lbs on in one weekend?

wtf do you eat or do you just dehydrate all week and then drink loads of water on Sat and Sun?

why not just cut down a bit at the weekend. It’s not losign weight durign the week that’s thje issue for you is it?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

How overweight are you?

I need to know whether to take the piss or give you serious advice.

fasthaggis

I just turn up my restraint mode to 11( and take the pie shop off speed dial)

BoardinBob

Intermittent fasting to get very lean is really only advised if you’ve already got low body fat and your diet is 100% sorted. Lot’s of stuff on-line about it. Tried it a couple of times but didn’t enjoy it personally.

BoardinBob

4lbs on in one weekend?

Not difficult at all to do. I’ve seen 8-10 lb spikes after a wild iDave cheat day and it’s all gone again in a couple of days.

hels
    Free Member

IME, the faster you lose weight, the faster it goes back on. This is based on absolutely no stringent peer-reviewed research, just a personal observation.

If you are serious, then this sounds like a really really stupid idea and won’t help at all.

Again from experience, not eating for long periods of time messes with your brain, and leads to very bad decisions ! It’s the path to eating disorders, don’t take that first step.

BoardinBob
    miketually
    Free Member

Most of the weight you put on on cheat day will be water and it’ll go over the next few days.

Lots of paleo diet people fast occasionally. If you’re reasonably healthy you’re not going to die from one missed meal.

If doing a big ride starting in the morning, I don’t eat beforehand and tend to eat less during the ride than I would on a normal day.

BoardinBob

Lots of paleo diet people fast occasionally. If you’re reasonably healthy you’re not going to die from one missed meal.

This ^

Most people fast every day.

It’s called sleeping.(apart from the 3am fridge raiders)

The whole intermittent fasting thing ties in with iDave as it’s a lot to do with insulin response

tails
    Free Member

I’m 12.8 today and always get to around 12.3 or 12.4 by friday, I’d like to get to 11.5 to 11.8. I can assure there is zero chance I’ll ever have an eating disorder! I’ll check out your link BB.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

People… just eat decent home cooked food.

You’ll be fine.

Fasting, eating like a cave man, Dr Dukan, blah blah blah… stop worring about it and start cooking your meals from scratch.

Do some exercise.

Don’t snack.

Good luck.

BoardinBob

I’ll check out your link BB.

Dr Berardi is considered to be the expert on IF and his stuff comes highly recommended

PeaslakeDave
    Free Member

fasting won’t help long term. Your body will want to retain more fat afterwards to respond to the hunger. I think you should try and lose it gradually over a couple of months. Then it won’t go back on so easily.
    I have a Islamic friend who say he gains weight when he fasts even thou he doesn’t eat more

sefton
    Free Member

sorry I cant help (I thought you said fisting)

tails
    Free Member

sorry I cant help (I thought you said fisting)

Were all friends here! 😀

tails
    Free Member

I have a Islamic friend who say he gains weight when he fasts even thou he doesn’t eat more

That was something I had thought about, will it have a reverse effect on me.

emsz
    Free Member

I can go quite happily for a day without eating. Don’t seem to get grumpy ( well any more grumpy LOL )

finbar
    Free Member

I limit myself to a ~4 hour eating window most weekdays. Works well for me.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I limit myself to a ~4 hour eating window most weekdays

Why?

Cougar

Dr Berardi is considered to be the expert on IF and his stuff comes highly recommended

Being the expert on something does not necessarily add credence to that something.

Eg, consider the sentence, “Dr Cougar is considered to be the expert on Homeopathy and his stuff comes highly recommended”. This could easily be factually correct, but it’s not actually a recommendation to run out and buy water that’s been shaken in a special way.

I’m not saying that IF is good or bad – I have no knowledge or opinion either way – I’m just suggesting that your reasoning here is flawed.

legspin
    Free Member

I find it to drafty by the window.

TSY speaks sense….

Cougar

Does he stuff himself silly beforehand in preparation and again afterwards, perhaps?

finbar
    Free Member

TSY, it frees up a lot of time, i’m persuaded it has various health benefits, and it’s pretty cool to be able to go 20+h without getting tired or ratty about not eating if the need arises.

I should add it took me a good three months or so to be comfortable regularly eating once a day.

Martin Berkham does a far better job of rigourously explaining the science behind why (he believes) intermittent fasting is a good idea than i can. See the link below if you’re interested.

http://www.leangains.com/2010/10/top-ten-fasting-myths-debunked.html

tails
    Free Member

Interesting finbar, but I’ve found not eating rice, potatoes etc in the evening is great for weight loss.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Each to their own… I like eating way too much to not eat for 24 hours.

So, has it made you as lean as you’d like to be? Can we have some stats to help others?

sadexpunk

TSY, it frees up a lot of time, i’m persuaded it has various health benefits, and it’s pretty cool to be able to go 20+h without getting tired or ratty about not eating if the need arises.

I should add it took me a good three months or so to be comfortable regularly eating once a day.

Martin Berkham does a far better job of rigourously explaining the science behind why (he believes) intermittent fasting is a good idea than i can. See the link below if you’re interested.

http://www.leangains.com/2010/10/top-ten-fasting-myths-debunked.html

i followed leangains to strip bodyfat and found it quite easy. basically its always gonna be cals in vs cals out and eating in a deficit to lose weight, but IF (and leangains in particular) makes it easier IMHO.
    i then decided i was too skinny and wanted to gain weight but still using IF (basically, 8hr eating windows, 16hr fast) but i just wasnt hungry enough in those 8hrs to eat surplus cals. so i just ate what i wnated when i wanted. and put on too much round my waist 🙂
    im now doing IF again to lose a bit and will then have another bash at putting on lean mass.

waffled on a bit there, but basically its a healthy (yes really) way of eating less food each day. its better if you can stick to it as a lifestyle choice, because as finbar says, it frees up time and is just soooo easy 🙂

as well as the leangains method (16/8) theres also the idea that having 2X24hr peiods per week zero calories works too. which it does as i also did that once upon a time 🙂 sounds harsh, but really its just having evening tea, nothing else that night, miss breakfast, get hungry bout dinner, see it through, then eat tea again. and then eat as normal 5 days per week. obviously less cals consumed that week.

both ways work, are healthy and i found easy. HTH.

glenh
    Free Member

BoardinBob – Member

Not difficult at all to do. I’ve seen 8-10 lb spikes after a wild iDave cheat day and it’s all gone again in a couple of days.

wtf? I don’t think I’ve lost or gained that much in 10 years.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

People that fast… you don’t really like food then?

finbar
    Free Member

So, has it made you as lean as you’d like to be? Can we have some stats to help others?

Well, i have leaned out some and definitely put on muscle since i started IF. I’m not exactly shredded though – I’ve got a four pack rather than a six pack 😉 .
    But, i’ve been doing more bodyweight exercises and significantly less cycling over the past six months or so (no ironman this year), so it’s all a bit unquantifiable. I’m not really into measuring that sort of stuff anyway so i wouldn’t know about my bodyfat or weight lost.

I should point out that i really didn’t come into fasting through a bodybuilding direction, more a palaeo/health direction.

Also, i LOVE food. Eating 2-3000 calories in a couple of hours is very satisfying.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

So ‘no’ then.

Edit: You so Fasting I say Binge eating.

I’ll be honest… I think fasting is **** up. My dietary advice is listed above. It’s a normal solution for normal people.

BoardinBob

People that fast… you don’t really like food then?

Love food. Total food snob in fact.

finbar
    Free Member

I’ll be honest… I think fasting is **** up. My dietary advice is listed above. It’s a normal solution for normal people.

Great – different strokes etc. I’m not trying to convert anyone or preaching about IF, but i like it.

BoardinBob

Except the “normal” solution doesn’t work for most people.

You may have been lucky enough to come out of the womb looking like an adonis, and you’re even luckier you’ve held onto that look, but most haven’t.

As iDave says, the human body isn’t a simple closed loop system.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Does your partner fast with you?

BoardinBob

Does your partner fast with you?

Yes

finbar
    Free Member

My girlf very rarely has lunch and eats breakfast like a sparrow, so not exactly, but it doesn’t cause any friction.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Yes

Ahhh… that makes some sense. I was thinking they’d have to.

Regarding the normal solution… it does work.

There’s so much conflicting advice and evidence… eat 6 meals a day, fast intermittently, eat this don’t eat that.

People didn’t use to fret and worry about this rubbish. They didn’t find new and unique ways to maintain a healthy weight…

They ate home cooked food and they didn’t snack.

It works.

BoardinBob

People didn’t use to fret and worry about this rubbish. They didn’t find new and unique ways to maintain a healthy weight…

They ate home cooked food and they didn’t snack.

It works.

I agree.

But the unfortunate fact is that isn’t “normal” any more. Normal now is fast food, sugary drinks, microwave dinners, McDonalds, massive bags of kettle chips etc etc.

People are addicted to that stuff nowadays, and like any addiction, it’s hard to break for a lot of people (not me personally). Most people have no perception of what was normal years ago and what they need to be doing. iDave correctly advocates your interpretation of normal as people weren’t eating processed crap 30 years ago.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Fasting’ is closed to new replies.