• This topic has 65 replies, 26 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by sas.
Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)
  • Fare dodging on the train
  • GlitterGary
    Free Member

If the train companies employed enough staff on both the trains and at stations this wouldn’t be a problem.

I use a number of stations that have no ticket facilities, it’s a lottery whether there will be any. The system is inconsistent and takes the mick out of passengers.

When I used to work for GNER we used to get commission for tickets we sold on the train, so I’d always tell people to buy tickets on the train.

😉

boblo
    Free Member

Good old GNER, where are they now? Ooops….

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Well, the bosses got massive payouts and the railway got handed over to another massively public subsidised company.

Everyone’s a winner!

boblo
    Free Member

and my f…ing season ticket is still £6k!

GlitterGary
    Free Member

“and my f…ing season ticket is still £6k!”

Tell me about it mate.

And don’t try to work out peak and off peak times, it’s a bloody minefield!

Cougar

Cougar, you really should have given your Mum a lift. Tight sod.

Ah, well, she was visiting me in Preston hospital, following an unfortunate accident involving a railway guard, a pair of secateurs and a catering pack of blancmange.

In reality, yes, I’d give her a lift, but that kinda ruins my example so hush. (-:

takisawa2

Realman gets the STW Barrister of the day award from me.

Cougar

So unless you get caught and fined four times a week, it’s cheaper simply not to bother and pay the fines.

Cougar

Realman gets the STW Barrister of the day award from me.

Grande caramel macchiato with an extra shot, to go please.

boblo
    Free Member

Cougar – Member

So unless you get caught and fined four times a week, it’s cheaper simply not to bother and pay the fines.

Evidently, that’s what some people choose to do…

Cougar

Works well, this system.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

It’s flawless, Cougar.

boblo
    Free Member

I think they’d pay on the train but are a bit off by all the pallava…

M6TTF
    Free Member

I don’t use the trains very often, but when I do, depending on the time of travel (evenings especially) i’ll always board without buying a ticket. I always used to buy one, but they rarely, if ever have someone on to check it – so I just buy on the train if asked, if not then it’s a journey bonus and a few extra quid for a night out 🙂 – the trains are obscenely expensive

boblo
    Free Member

Terrrrrrrroll!

metalheart
    Free Member

To the OP: my ex had a situation where she boarded a train and bought a ticket from the guard. At the end the ticket didn’t open the gate. Turns out it was the ‘wrong’ ticket she had been sold (see GG’s comment ^^^ about off peak I guess) and the inspector demanded the uplift (less than £2). The ex replied I’ve paid for a ticket you (i.e. rail company made the mistake). The inspector then called over the police…

…who couldn’t give a shit (hardly surprising really). BTW the ex is sub 5′ and hardly likely to start a fight.

The ex complained to the rail company as she was extremely radged up over the whole thing. They sent some vouchers as means of compensation.

You might try a similar tack? (not for vouchers, but recognition that their employees sometimes got OTT)

bobbyspangles

while boarding a train near to Southampton recently, i witnessed 5 kids refusing to buy a ticket and just legging it down the platform.

felt quite sorry for the ticket inspector.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Anybody ever been fined by scotrail? Or is this just an english thing? Just curious as I’ve bought loads of tickets on trains, never been threatened with being fined once. Seems very odd to me anyhow, sounds just like robbery by the train companies…

richmtb

From what I’ve witnessed there is so much fare dodging on Scotrail trains the conductors are happy to sell anyone a ticket on the train or otherwise

wrightyson
    Free Member

I caught a train Italy in Italy last weekend, it just highlighted to me what a rip off fookin shambles trains are over here!! Public transport outside the cities in this country officially sucks balls!!

Kato

If you can’t buy a ticket, i was under inpression you had to get a permit to travel from the machine in order for you to board the train and then buy a ticket, otherwise you commit an offence?

Kato
    BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

wrightyson – Frecciarossa by any chance? I was on one a couple of months ago – fanfeekkintastic. State run public transport at 200+ mph, on time, clean, comfortable with a restaurant (not buffet) car.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Nope just a double decker trenitalia job, could have set your watch as it left. 70km into Venice, €4.40 each.

bazookajoe
    Free Member

I’m sure the Scotrail posters say something along the lines of you can’t take advantage of any offers or discounts if you buy on the train, not that you can’t buy one at all. Was reading one at the weekend waiting to board the Aviemore steam train for a spot of afternoon tea. Probably differs between the different operators?

sas
    Free Member

Elfinsafety
    I’m with RealBoy on this one. You got on a train full knowing you were required to buy a ticket, weren’t in possession of a valid ticket for your journey, then give it the biggun to some poor sod doing his job.

But earlier…

dazh
    Man doesn’t pay for train ticket because the inspector at departure station waved him through the barrier so he didn’t miss the train. Man then gets pulled up at destination station by another inspector, admits not having a ticket, explains the situation.

Though I suppose it depends on whether the inspector waived you through knowing you didn’t have a ticket, or whether he assumed you already had one but didn’t bother to check so you wouldn’t miss the train.

Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘Fare dodging on the train’ is closed to new replies.