• This topic has 65 replies, 26 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by sas.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)
  • Fare dodging on the train
  • dazh

Anyone ever been reported for not buying a ticket on a Northern Rail train? What happened next? I’m not talking about a ticking off at the station, but them taking your details and then taking it further.

Cheers,

Daz.

dazh

Sorry, wrong forum. This has nowt to do with bikes.

daz38
    Free Member

i got a 30 quid fine , if i did not pay id go to court , i did not pay (ticket machine was out of order) was gonna pay on the train , not good enough these days , waiting on a court date ,, been 2 yrs now

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    dazh

Well considering I wasn’t far off being on an assault charge on the condescending little hitler I had to deal with, I reckon a £30 fine is ok.

RealMan
    Free Member

Man doesn’t pay for train ticket, gets caught, then considers beating up the guy who is just doing his job.

If they do send you a fine, pay it. If you have to turn up to court, do so. Otherwise you will end up with a criminal record, etc. etc.

If you can’t get a ticket on the platform and you’re polite and reasonable to the guard, they will always sell you a ticket on the train. If you try and run away from them until your stop or try and BS your way out of paying, then they probably won’t.

boblo
    Free Member

Wasn’t there a thread about this on here recently?

Cougar

They need to sort out this inconsistency. Either you can buy a ticket on the train or you can’t. It shouldn’t come down to “well, you can buy a ticket if the guard likes the cut of your jib.”

Either, you board a train without a ticket and you get fined for boarding a train without a ticket, or it’s perfectly acceptable to go “yes, I’d like a ticket please” when the inspector comes along. There shouldn’t ever be a situation where you’re sat on a train without a ticket but every intention of buying one as soon as you can, and then running the risk of getting fined for it.

dazh

Er, no. Man doesn’t pay for train ticket because the inspector at departure station waved him through the barrier so he didn’t miss the train. Man then gets pulled up at destination station by another inspector, admits not having a ticket, explains the situation. Then the little hitler inspector accuses man of deliberately dodging fare, saying it’s impossible that the other inspector waved him through the barrier at departure station. Argument between little hitler and man ensues, little hitler calls police over, man gets angry, little hitler reports him for fare dodging etc….

The fine will be paid, don’t worry about that.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

I agree with Cougar. They need to decide on a rule and stick to it. Years ago I got an on the spot fine, I was planning on buying my ticket while on the train as I used to do all the time but the gaurd was having none of it.

dazh

Cougar +1

RealMan
    Free Member

So you didn’t give yourself enough time to buy a ticket, then assumed people would just believe you? Why didn’t you buy a ticket on the train? If you get to your destination station and the gates are up and you don’t have a ticket, then you will be fined, no way round it.

There’s a reason why they have posters and announcements saying not to get on a train if you don’t have a ticket. If you don’t have a ticket and you get on a train, you’re risking being fined. Don’t complain about it, you can’t plead ignorance, it’s obvious.

If you tried to steal from a shop and caught by the security guard, would you complain about the inconsistency of security guards in shops? That there should be an all or none rule enforced?

alfabus
    Free Member

In my experience, there are two types of inspectors:
    1. Ticket inspectors (these will sell you a ticket and cannot fine you)
    2. Guards (always come in groups of 2 or more, they cannot sell you a ticket, they can only fine you)

The inconsistency is annoying as it depends on who you run into.

Obviously if you have the opportunity to buy a ticket, and you don’t it is your fault; but if running for the train, it would be useful to know whether you are allowed to buy a ticket once you get there, or at the destination.

Dave

dazh

Train was v. crowded, no man to buy a ticket from.

Look I’m not disputing the fact I didn’t have a ticket and held my hands up to it. What I object to is some little hitler putting words in my mouth, deliberately misinterpreting what I’ve told him, accusing me of getting on somewhere else, and blowing what is a pretty insignificant situation (£2 fare!) up into the crime of the century.

RealMan
    Free Member

Argument between little hitler and man ensues, little hitler calls police over, man gets angry,

Look I’m not disputing the fact I didn’t have a ticket and held my hands up to it.

😕

boblo
    Free Member

Quick question: why is it that sometimes you can buy a ticket on the train and other times it’s a pallava? I use East Coast all the time and they have barriers at both ends and people on then rain to buy tickets from whom you would think are largely redundant as you can’t get through the ‘in’ barrier without a ticket.

Is there a ‘standard’ policy?

Cougar

There’s a reason why they have posters and announcements saying not to get on a train if you don’t have a ticket.

Why do they sell tickets on trains then?

If you tried to steal from a shop and caught by the security guard, would you complain about the inconsistency of security guards in shops? That there should be an all or none rule enforced?

That’s not the same situation though, is it. In that analogy, it’s like closing all the tills and then being stopped halfway round the store for shoplifting.

dan1980
    Free Member

Also some stations don’t have a manned ticket booth, or a ticket machine, so there’s no way to actually buy a ticket before boarding.

Had some officious guard try to do me for fair dodging, it took him a while to back down even when I pointed out the station bloke had gone home and there wasn’t a machine to use.

RealMan
    Free Member

To help people out. When they sell you a ticket on a train they are doing something nice. If you get on a train without a ticket, expect a fine. Be thankful when you can buy a ticket instead.

That’s not the same situation though,

It is though. The moment you step on to that train without a ticket, you’re committing a fine-able offence. Do it if you want, but don’t complain about the consequences, it’s just childish.

dazh

@Realman The argument was not over whether I had a valid ticket or not, that much was self evident. The argument was about the aggressive, condescending and totally unprofessional way in which this guy spoke to me, and the way in which he was trying to blow it up into a something it wasn’t.

dan1980
    Free Member

The moment you step on to that train without a ticket, you’re committing a fine-able offence

So what are you supposed to do at the hundreds of stations around the country that don’t have ticketing facilities? Not get on a train?

boblo
    Free Member

RealMan – Member

<snip> The moment you step on to that train without a ticket, you’re committing a fine-able offence.

Do you have the de facto reference for this please?

RealMan
    Free Member

Do you have the de facto reference for this please?

The posters and announcements they have all over train stations?

So what are you supposed to do at the hundreds of stations around the country that don’t have ticketing facilities? Not get on a train?

I’ve never seen or heard of one like that. Buy it online maybe?

Would you try and get on a plane without a ticket?

@Realman The argument was not over whether I had a valid ticket or not, that much was self evident. The argument was about the aggressive, condescending and totally unprofessional way in which this guy spoke to me, and the way in which he was trying to blow it up into a something it wasn’t.

Then what were you arguing about? Why did he feel the need to call the police?

binners

I was going to suggest hiding in the toilet. This seems to be someones solution on every single Northern Rail train I’ve ever been on. For the entire duration of the journey 🙄

andytherocketeer

Network south east used to have “permit to travel” machines. Just stick some coins in a press button. You’re supposed to trade it in for a real ticket at the 1st opportunity, but I doubt many do, unless stopped by an inspector.
    Essential for all those small stations in the middle of nowhere, with 1 ticket machine that accepts nothing larger than a £10 and accepts no cards, and accepts no notes that have seen better days.

boblo
    Free Member

Don’t the posters say something like ‘travelling without a valid ticket blah blah’? Not ‘tickets must be purchased before going through the barriers’?

That’s why I asked for the specific reference not a fob off with a public information poster.

zokes
    Free Member

Don’t get out from under your (railway?) bridge much then?

Cougar

To help people out. When they sell you a ticket on a train they are doing something nice.

Cobblers. They’re doing it because they have to, because not every railway station has the facility to sell tickets. Doing something nice would be going “oh, don’t worry about it, I’ve got a couple spare that I can sell you,” not walking round with a damned ticket machine expressly to sell tickets. That’s not being nice, that’s an official system in place.

The moment you step on to that train without a ticket, you’re committing a fine-able offence.

Oh, I dare say. But what else are you supposed to do if you want to board a train that has no ticket office and no automated ticket machine at its station, but probably sells tickets on the train?

Let’s say, as an example, at short notice my mum needs to get an evening train to Preston from her home station, which is Accrington. She doesn’t have an Internet connection. There’s no time to order tickets by phone / post as she needs to leave that day. She gets to the station to find there’s no ticket machine, and because it’s gone 5pm the office is closed.

So, she either cancels her trip, or gets on the train with the intention of buying a ticket from the inspector, who carries a ticket machine expressly for that purpose.

Now, it’s a lottery:

a) she meets an inspector, he goes “tickets madam,” she replies “I’d like a ticket to Preston please, I boarded at Accrington and the office was closed.” He replies “no problem madam, there you go, that’ll be three quid.”

or,

a) she meets a guard, he goes “tickets madam,” she replies “I’d like a ticket to Preston please, I boarded at Accrington and the office was closed.” He replies “sorry madam, boarding a train without a ticket is an offence, that’ll be thirty quid and I’m ringing the police to pull you off at Blackburn if don’t pay up.”

It’s cock. In that situation it’s easy to go “well, you don’t travel” but then they sell tickets on the trains! What’s anyone going to do in that situation? They’re not intending to defraud the train companies, they’re intending to pay using the systems that they bloody well put in place for just this purpose! “It’s ok love, you can pay on the train… whoops, sorry, we mean, it’s illegal, pay up!” There’s a legal term for this, it’s called Entrapment.

zokes
    Free Member

and I’m ringing the police to pull you off at Blackburn

I knew Blackburn was rough, but I didn’t realise the police were there specifically to perform sexual favours 😯

Cougar

Plenty of train stops don’t have anything other than a platform.

Of the ones that do, not all are 24 hour.

Not everyone has Internet access.

Internet-ordered tickets take time to post. Even e-tickets still have to be collected from a designated point (major stations only).

Use the train much, do we?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I’m with RealBoy on this one. You got on a train full knowing you were required to buy a ticket, weren’t in possession of a valid ticket for your journey, then give it the biggun to some poor sod doing his job.

Is it the ticket inspector’s fault you din’t buy a ticket cos you were running late? No. do you expect him to make an exception for you in front of hundreds of other potential fare dodgers? No. They have to be seen to be doing their job, to deter people from travelling without a ticket.

All you had to do was say ‘fair cop guv’nor, you’ve caught me bang to rights’, then just accepted the fine.

Then, right, you’d now be less stressed about it and woo’t feel the need to come and vent your spleen on an internet forum.

Sorry, but I’m right, and deep down, you know I am.

Cougar

Zokes > yeah, I did wonder about that when I typed it… (-:

dazh

Then what were you arguing about? Why did he feel the need to call the police?

What was I arguing about? See above.

He called the cops over to intimidate me because I had the temerity challenge him when he went off on his power trip.

You’re not a traffic warden by any chance are you?

boblo
    Free Member

Cougar, you really should have given your Mum a lift. Tight sod. 🙂

Looks like Elfin has taken control of the ‘I’m right’ button…

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I’m always right. I really don’t know why anyone ever bothers arguing with me, quite frankly…

😐

chvck
    Free Member

They should not only make the whole when you buy the ticket consistent but also try to make it consistent across different companies! I’m pretty sure that Arriva trains have no issue with you buying tickets on the train.

zokes
    Free Member

Freddedbra, earlier…

veedubba

Realman is the inspector in question, and I claim my £5 prize.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

😀

dazh

then give it the biggun to some poor sod doing his job

It was the other way round actually.

All you had to do was say ‘fair cop guv’nor, you’ve caught me bang to rights’, then just accepted the fine.

Exactly what I did, actually. The trouble is that didn’t fit with his pre-conceived idea of what the situation was so he then did his level best to misrepresent what I’d told him so that it did.

boblo
    Free Member

Go on, what’d you say?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘Fare dodging on the train’ is closed to new replies.