Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Fantastic Ride! Plus Epping Forest conditions update.
  • Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Well following the thread about riding on yer own, Khani and I met up today and went off to Epping Forest. Rode from the little dogging car park on Snaresbrook Road, up to Pole Hill then on to High Beech. Salt beef bap and a cup of tea, then back down to the car. A few Tangfastics along the way to keep the sugar levels up.

What a lovely ride. Slippery with the fallen leaves, but the trails are still riding really well, not at all boggy which is incredible for this time of year really; I seldom ride in Epping much past late October.

Hidden roots and the slippery surface makes things interesting, keeps you alert and sharp. Couple of sketchy moments, but no proper offs.

So many great little singletrack trails, snaking off all over the place. You can string together a proper decent ride through the trees and foilage. Tight twisty bits, slippery rooty fun, the odd stream crossing, friendly dog walkers (all keeping their dogs under control, of course) and just beautiful autumn colours everywhere. The mist made it even more atmospheric; there’s some really old trees in that forest, which itself is ancient and one of the few remaining proper forests left in this part of the country.

The light was fading fast on the way back, and the last couple of miles or so were done in conditions far too dark to ride without lights really, but such fun to glide through the trees using The Force. What you can’t see, you can’t worry about! 😀

Made it back to the car just as it was really far too dark to continue, and it started raining just then, so perfect timing.

Brilliant ride, proper buzz, great to meet a new face off STW too.

Oh, and Khani has the most impressive wood I’ve seen of any man…. 😉

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Good to see you’re sticking to the rules. Can’t ride Epping without doing Pole Hill for that great view!

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Pole Hill is a legal requirement if riding in Epping Forest, imo. Coon’t see much today, but on Saturday the view was fantastic, with the mist. And if you look out North East from Butlers Retreat, all you can see is forest, with the odd little church spire, and it’s hard to believe you’re still in London tbh.

I do feel very fortunate to have such good riding in such a lovely place, not far from my home. Epping may not turn many heads in terms of mountain biking, but if you know where you’re going, you can have loads of fun.

25-30psi FTW though. Bit of grip needed on the slippery stuff! 😮

senorj

I was up there on Sunday.It’s amazing how “dry” it is.
    Very underrated place.
    Did you do the singletrack which follows the stream – south of the hunting lodge?
    10/10 for whoever cut that in.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Ended up at about 20PSI at Aston Hill the other week. Was deadly slippy!

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVPmTtdifN4[/video]

khani
    Free Member

😳 dogging spot and magnificent wood dosnt sound right does it 😳
    Allthough I’m starting to love Epping forest… 8)
    Cheers elf, top time!!! 😀

Radioman

Agreed, I have been surprised by how good Epping is recently…its been better going than on my rides in Surrey Hills and even Swinley in the last 2 weeks. The leaf carpet is helping at the moment…long may it last!

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Did you do the singletrack which follows the stream – south of the hunting lodge?

Well, dunno if it’s the same bit you mean, but we did ride some singletrack south of there, yeah. The bit with the tricky little stream crossings? I love the challenge they pose, don’t always get them right. 😳

Next time Khani, we could drive up to High Beech and ride around there, there’s some great stuff to the North of there I rarely get to do cos it’s so flipping far from home! Used to do it with mates when I was younger and fitter; easy to get 50+ miles out of it. Proper day out.

Wonder if that woman in the Landy ever found the M11? 😕

hilldodger
    Free Member

Epping Forest is one of the things I miss about E London that and the kebab shops almost made it bearable 😉

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I had stir-fry duck with mushrooms and spring onions in Hoisin sauce for my tea. 🙂

khani
    Free Member

She’s probably still in the forest!
    I had bubble… 8)

grantway
    Free Member

I like Epping have a good laugh there
    When its dry its mint just hammer the hell out of it.

Kryton57

Couldnt believe it – went out earlier today and 80% of the trails are actually dusty, like summer yet with some leaves on the trails! The other 20% is just “damp” – no chance of getting the bike dirty even.

Brilliant!

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Anyone bin up there last few days? i’d imagine it’s a tad softer undertyre right now. 🙁

Still rideable? Or like the Somme?

Kryton57

E&S

I was there Sunday. Most trails under the trees were still dry, anything exposed to the sky basically has a 5mm slippery surface. The bridleways for example will spray your bike with crud very quickly making it look like a muddy ride.

The main “issue” were that the roots under the leaves are now damp, making things interesting.

Certainly not the somme – yet. I was riding the High Beech/Whipps cross side though (south) not the Theydon (north) which tends always to be slightly worse IME.

I’ll be riding there tomorrow most likely.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Nice one Kryton. although not sure when i’ll actually have any time to ride atm.

If the rain holds off for the next couple of weeks, it’ll recover fine and be ok. It’s when it persistently wet that it quickly gets churned up, and the horses don’t do it any favours.

senorj

I was up there monday afternoon ,it’s not bad- like kryton says, a little messy here and there – the most popular sections nearer the cafes.
    Still haven’t put me trail rakers on!! In December! I’ve seen it wetter in July!
    It’s forecast to rain a little before the weekend ,I’ll be there on saturday again. 🙂

Kryton57

Anyone been up to Epping in the last couple of days? How is it?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Fantastic Ride! Plus Epping Forest conditions update.’ is closed to new replies.