Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Fancy Something Silly This Sunday (Cut Gate)?
  • barca
    Free Member

I have a rare but much anticipated full day off from domestic bliss on Sunday and I'm right in the mood for something that will take all day again.
    So, would anybody from this side (Manchester side – you know, the best side) of the Pennines fancy doing a ride home from Langsett on Sunday with me? I've not checked trains as yet but I'm guessing Pennistone would be the nearest station? If there are no trains, would anybody be up for a ride out to ths start? I'd be heading over from Stockport which isn't too bad a ride if you take it easy (is it? Through Glossop to try and stay off Woodhead for as long as poss). It'd need to be an early start though. I've asked my wife for a lift over but a long hard stare didn't really encourage me to ask again :-]
    Anybody? I don't want to do it on my own though.

barca
    Free Member

Just me then? Even the losers from the normal gang of riders are a little backward at stepping forward.
    It's going to be sunny on Sunday.
    I'm not normally one for spending the day with complete strangers but I reckon it'll be a laugh.

thejesmonddingo

Hope you're going to wear waders over Cut Gate,my forecast says upto 3" rain before Sunday.
    Ian

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

(Manchester side – you know, the best side)

Error

I'd be heading over from Stockport which isn't too bad a ride if you take it easy

Error

This Sunday (Cut Gate)?

Error

You've really not seen the weather warnings for this weekend have you Barca?! 😉

crazy-legs

Cut Gate in this weather?!
    😯

cxi
    Free Member

Major it's a combined MTB / underwater bog snorkelling outing?

BadlyWiredDog

Other plans or I'd tag along for a bit. Biblical night ride last night, wet 🙂

barca
    Free Member

Come you lot! The BBC says sunny for Sunday in Stockport and that's the direction we'll be heading for.
    Is Cut Gate any different from any other part of the peat areas of the Peak District? There'll be loads of people riding Rushup Edge which has it's own section of soft stuff as does Mam Nick to Hollins Cross, Whinstone Lee Tor ect.
    It's a few miles to ride over but easy enough on road from where I am. Marple to Glossop, left at the lights instead of straight on over the A57 and only a short section of Woodhead and you're there. No rush enjoy the spin. Planing on coming back via Cutgate, Lockerbrook, Edale Cross, Jaggers, Hollins Cross, Rushup Edge, Hayfield and then Stockport. Do more or less road sections depending on how it's going. Very steady pace, just enjoying the day.

jackthedog
    Free Member

I'm doing a bit of a peak thing on Sunday and I'd be up for something like that but for the fact that you'd be going the wrong way, living as I do near Penistone 🙂

If it wasn't for the ending up miles from home on the filthy side of the Pennines covered in mud trying to get a train back home bit, I'd join you.

pistonbroke
    Free Member

I live 2 miles from Langsett and imo you will need snorkel and flippers for Cut Gate given the rain we've had this week.

barca
    Free Member

Hmmm, fancy doing a Stockport to Home ride instead Jackthedog? As I plan to ride one way on road and one way off, I could go either way and as we did Manchester to Sheff. on road and back again off road earlier in the year for St Ann's Hopsice, riding out there off road could actually be more fun?

jackthedog
    Free Member

Sounds good if I can sort transport to Stockport. Haven't got the legs to ride out there and then back (! 🙂 )

jim
    Free Member

Is Cut Gate any different from any other part of the peat areas of the Peak District?

Indeed it is, there's a stream (small torrent?) running down a good length of it.

barca
    Free Member

We'll be right (I hope) Jim.
    Give me a shout if you can get over JtD.
    Anybody else?

antigee

you can avoid woodhead pass motorway completely by following the trans pennine trail
    i think we'll need pics

therealhoops
    Free Member

I'm up for something in the darkness. Will probably do Dizz/Mellor/Strines from my house if I remember to charge my lights.

Weather forecast is super-shitty for much else. Don't fancy being up top in this wind.

barca
    Free Member

erk! 75mph winds for Saturday……still sunny on Sunday 🙂 Fancy riding over as far as you like Sunday morning mate? We'll be going that way to Hayfield. I'll blag some off road lights if so. Otherwise, we could set off a bit later and I'll be OK on road on the way back with my little blinkies.

Photo's? Of course if you'd like some but of what Antigee?

IanHaughton
    Free Member

You use BBC for credible weather forecasts? blimey 😯

Cut Gate is an ace ride but not even I'd ride it after 3" rain the day before it's bad enough when it hasnt rained for a few days before

Good luck!

BTW bitter and twisted as stuck in London all weekend 🙁

jackthedog
    Free Member

The slight weather panic, talk of lights and general transport issues are making me think staying local and riding the quagmire of Wharny with Pook and Kona UK might be a better bet.

I really like the idea of a Manc(ish)-Sheff(ish) ride though, so maybe another time.

therealhoops
    Free Member

Reddish Vale it is! lol Pondering a Sunday nighter instead.

barca
    Free Member

No worries JtD. I can highly recommend Sheff. to Manchester off road although the first bit wasn't great. Not knowing the area brilliantly, we did a not very good route out of Sheff. to Redmires Res. before dropping over to Bamford etc.
    I'll have a long think about giving it a go this Sunday now, especially as I might get to come up from behind on Hoopsie in the dark in Reddish Vale. The opportunity is almost unrefusable 🙂

thepodge
    Free Member

jackthedog – The slight weather panic, talk of lights and general transport issues are making me think staying local and riding the quagmire of Wharny with Pook and Kona UK might be a better bet.

I really like the idea of a Manc(ish)-Sheff(ish) ride though, so maybe another time.

I should be on the wharncliffe ride too. I'm interested in Sheff / Manc rides now that i live in the former and work in the latter

jackthedog
    Free Member

Well I'm up for doing a STW Manc to Sheff/Sheff to Manc, Ride of the Roses or something at some point, given a bit of time to perhaps plan some routes, trains and stuff.

And when there isn't a national weather alert 🙂

antigee

Photo's? Of course if you'd like some but of what Antigee?

swamp monsters

therealhoops
    Free Member

bugger, i forgot the missus is off to see Willy Young on Sunday night 🙁

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Fancy Something Silly This Sunday (Cut Gate)?’ is closed to new replies.