Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Family growing up. Where have the years gone. Time flies, etc
  • benz
    Free Member

Brought home today when Mrs B and Miss B went to get ‘ladies products’ together for the first time.

Miss B will be 12 but I must admit that the whole growing up and her no longer being my little girl has caught me a bit. Obviously she will always be my little girl, but this has thrown me a bit today.

Bless her – she pointed out the our hounds poo bags will now be useful for something else.

Where have the years gone….

bruneep

Iron and Ironing board?

perchypanther
    Free Member

Wait till she’s squaring up to you and saying….. ” I could take you, old man. Give me back my phone”

….and you realise she might be right.

matt_outandabout

Yep, we’re having a squaring up and grumping evening at oab_towers. Frustrating, depressing and frightening stuff. 🙁

Edit: time does indeed fly.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Matt – Just so you know, obtaining a taser from a bloke off the internet and using it on your teenage children is NOT COOL.

Apparently.

funkmasterp

Stick them in the tumble dryer

carlosg
    Free Member

I feel really lucky , carlosg 2.0 is 13 in a couple of months and although we do get grumps now and again he’s a really reasonable kid. He always gets a couple of warnings before we get on his back for doing wrong and always apologizes when he’s realised he’s in the wrong.
    Obviously I understand this could all change rapidly but I’m just glad he isn’t the complete toerag I now know I was to my mother in my teens.

matt_outandabout

Ours are good lads too – just looming exams later this week are causing stress and reaction…

Sandwich

Benz you have no idea. Buckle up it may get rough from here until about 23.

Remember this too shall pass.

wwaswas

My son was 21 2 months ago, my daughter’s 16 next week. 5 minutes, that’s what it feels like.

codybrennan
    Free Member

benz – Member
    ….and her no longer being my little girl has caught me a bit.

She’ll always be your little girl. Have no fear.

bigblackshed

Boy1 is sat on the sofa opposite me. He’s back to Uni tomorrow. It’s been great having him home for Christmas, it’s seemed strange without him since September.

Doesn’t seem like 5 minutes ago I brought him home for the first time. Time does, indeed, fly.

jekkyl

Op I’d make sure you have a little talk about taking precautions if necessary. Much as you don’t want to think about it she is now physically capable.
    I have two daughters, one is 6, the other is 1 so I’m a ways off yet. I forsee in my future for one week of every month there will be a lot of cycling.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

There was something I read a while back – when dd was a baby – probably some syrupy “parenting” blog but of all the things I read when he was a baby, this one stuck with me. I can’t find where it is now so I’ll just have to paraphrase.

Time does indeed fly and you have to make the best out of whatever “phase” they’re going through. And when they’re little and completely dependent on you, remember that there will be a last time for lots of things. Some of them like nappy changes, cleaning a toilet training poo-storm, you’ll be glad of.

But some of the other things – a bottle feed, buttoning up a babygrow before bedtime, a certain book they love, the need to fall asleep on your belly listening to your heartbeat and loads more that only you’ll know about – there’ll be a last time each of these things happen, and you won’t even realise it’s the last time until it hasn’t happened for weeks. Make the most of all the special things, you’ll never realise when many of them have happened for the last time. One day they’ll fall over and not cry or look to you to help them out and give that reassuring cuddle – and when they do, you’ve done your job but you’ll miss it when you realise you’re just a little less needed.

I love watching my lad grow older and a little bit more independent as the months pass, but I still miss some of the times when he needed me more than he does now – so when he does need me, and I’m thinking “I’m in the middle of something, can’t you sort yourself out?” I try to remember the above.

Right, now, that’s about as soppy as I’m going to get this year. 🙂

thegreatape
    Free Member

Buy her chocolate each month at the relevant time. Trust me, it’ll make you a hero.

wiggles
    Free Member

One day you will put them down and never pick them up again…

Mine are 5 & 6 and it seems like no time at all since they tiny and totally dependant on me, now I just need to provide food and entertainment pretty much 😆

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Mine are 35 & 33 this year. 😥

Ambrose

My favorite present this year?- both my sons came home for Christmas. One is 21, the other 26. The house is too quiet now 🙁

DavidB
    Free Member

Just wait till the pregnancy testing kits turn up, you won’t be so teary eyed (I wasn’t)

ravingdave

This thread is good. It makes me reflect on what I have now. 4yr old girl, 2 yr old boy with another boy on the way. Maybe I’ll ride the bike less

MoreCashThanDash

Daughter is 11 and we’ve already been through that phase.

Her brother is 14 – first teenage romance this summer, followed by first broken heart.

Interesting times. Both still great kids, bright, articulate and caring and I love them to bits. Can still be annoying little buggers as well.

wiggles
    Free Member

Just wait till the pregnancy testing kits turn up, you won’t be so teary eyed (I wasn’t)

One of the reasons im glad I have boys…

Not saying I wasn’t involved with this sort of trouble when I was a teenager though but you always hope you can teach them based on your mistakes 😕

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Bless her – she pointed out the our hounds poo bags will now be useful for something else.

Trekster

esselgruntfuttock – Member
    Mine are 35 & 33 this year.

38 & 34 😕 2 x 13yr old and an 8+7yr old come Sept…… 😯

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Brings a tear to my eye just thinking of the day when there’s no squeaky giggling in the house.

senorj

Li’l J is doing the “squaring up and grumping” ,he’s five! aaaghh.
    Sadly ,it was a struggle to have him on my shoulders for half a mile last night!
    I’m getting old & he’s a load heavier.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

My daughter is 14 next week and I’m 44 2 weeks after that. I have no idea where my thirties went. It’s like somebody just turned up and stole them.

We’re getting proper Kevin the teenager grumps now although she’s demonstrating a surprising level of maturity for her early GCSE this year.

jambalaya
    Free Member

It seems like only yesterday my eldest three where toddlers, they are 29, 27 and 24 now ! Eldest 2 are married and now preparing myself mentally for being a grandad whilst sharing wonderful times with my fourth daughter who will be turning 1 very soon.

molgrips
    Free Member

One day they’ll fall over and not cry

Yeah they’ll just swear instead like I do.

You are right, there’ll be a last time for many things, but there’ll also be a first time for many more.

grenosteve
    Free Member

Where have the years gone

I was thinking the same thing this morning on the way to work, not about kids (we don’t have any), but it’s coming up to our 5th wedding anniversary. 5 years! I was a young lad when I met her 10 years ago, and it seems like yesterday!

I’ll be dead soon at this rate! 😉

tomhoward

I feel really lucky , carlosg 2.0 is 13 in a couple of months and although we do get grumps now and again he’s a really reasonable kid. He always gets a couple of warnings before we get on his back for doing wrong and always apologizes when he’s realised he’s in the wrong.
    Obviously I understand this could all change rapidly but I’m just glad he isn’t the complete toerag I now know I was to my mother in my teens.

Oh, you poor lamb….

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLuEY6jN6gY[/video]

The other month my mum was lamenting where the time had gone, as she now had a 23yr old daughter. This mood was not lifted when my other sister and I pointed out we were 30 & 33 respectively…

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

It’s scary how fast time goes by as you get older, I’ve been in Southampton just over 25 years. SOmetimes I can’t help but think where did all that time go and what did I actually do of note during those years?

Mid life crisis… Tick! 😆

scud
    Free Member

My daughter has just turned 8, yet is going on 18, she had her ears pierced before xmas and is now matching earrings to hand-bags (chances of her becoming a tomboy are going out the window!).

She is Type 1 diabetic so has to have her finger pricked 9-10 times a day, before this was just a nuisance to her, but she has really grown up recently and was so proud when in the last weeks she has asked loads of question about it, and that she asked for the first time to prick her own finger and to h press the button on her handset for her insulin pump that fires the catheter into her skin, she is wanting to take control of the condition herself which has made me realise how grown up she is becoming.

slimjim78
    Free Member

they are 29, 27 and 24 now ! my fourth daughter will be turning 1 very soon.

Bravo!
    Are you Ronnie Wood in disguise?

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Family growing up. Where have the years gone. Time flies, etc’ is closed to new replies.