Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • falling off a mountain….
  • jam-bo

this made my jaw drop, that man has some cojones….

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rd8AJdcnw4A

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Flash git 😉

Smee
    Free Member

kin ell.

TheSwede
    Free Member

That film made me buy all the gear a few years ago. It wasn’t quite the same at Tamworth snow dome.

sometimerider
    Free Member

Wow! You couldn’t do that on a bike!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

theres a first decent article in dirt a few months back, souds similarly sketchy, coming down scree slopes sideways digging the pedals into the scree to slow things down!

the commentary was just cingeworthy though!

taka
    Free Member

bah i can do that 😆

can i *uck

Jamie
    Free Member

Awesome video ruined by shit soundtrack shocker!

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

sometimerider
    Wow! You couldn’t do that on a bike!

No, you’d get stuck in the snow. I reckon it’s possible given the right terrain.

Darren Berrecloth does something similar in the latest NWD movie down the side of a mountain in the Gobi desert. A few thousand metres of carving…..clicky

taka
    Free Member

na not as impressive

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

taka – Member
    na not as impressive

Definitely not as impressive, I agree 100%, especially seeing as the entire sequence isnt built up to hype that one single line and how scary it is, complete with multiple angles including numerous heli shots. That’s not why I posted it though.

My point was – something similar would be possible on a bike – if the terrain was there, then I believe there are riders who would be capable of doing it. That’s all.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

But there’s no snow in the Gobi Desert 😕

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Blimey.

What really puts me off this kind of stuff, when I see the vids, is the Godawful shouty music, and the completely imbecilic ‘Wow, Dude, like, totally stoked, man; Gnarly’ etc etc etc… SHUT THE **** UP YOU MORONS!!!

Do you really need to be thick, and from California or wherever, to do this kind of thing?

tails
    Free Member

say what you like about berrecloth I just watched roam for the first time in a while ya man is sooooooo good at riding. and rudeboy I’m not sure whether you’ve visited west coast america but thats how they speak, your hardly in the position to be rude about colloquialisms. Now go take some pics with ya dijical kamra. 😀

djglover
    Free Member

Wow, Dude, like, totally stoked, man; Gnarly’ etc etc etc… SHUT THE **** UP YOU MORONS!!!

Do you really need to be thick, and from California or wherever, to do this kind of thing?

You don’t see THAT many Asian kids with esturay accents doing it though do you?

RudeBoy
    Free Member

I’m sure not all Californians speak like that; none of the ones I’ve ever met have! No, come on, it’s an affectation; a whole vernacular that seems to have enveloped many ‘extreme’ sports. I’ve seen Aussies and Norwegians adopting the same cringeworthy slang. It’s become a caricature; like how young British kids have adopted ‘Hip-Hop’ street slang. I’m all for colloquialisms, sure; accents are part of people’s identity.

But why make yerself look like a knob?

Ya kna ah mean? Dat is blown, man. Dey fink dey is well heavy, but dey is butters, innit?

Or something…

tails
    Free Member

ay sure they don’t all speak like that and your right about it spreading through mtb but the younger cali people i have met were always pumped on being stoked to go down the beach. ya na wot i mean bredge!

RudeBoy
    Free Member

I make no attempt to keep up wiv da yute, I have to say. Most of it is quite lazy, unoriginal and not particularly creative use of language. But hey ho, I spose it’s part of their ‘identity’. Hopefully, most will grow out of it, when they realise that ‘Yo, what ya saying, y’alright’ won’t go down too well in a job interview, etc.

It really does make me cringe, wen I hear people like Rachel Atherton saying they were ‘stoked’, and similar. Bloke I once worked with, spoke perfectly ‘normaly’, but get him onto snowboarding, Cheeze.. It was as though he’d been suddenly possessed by a West-Coast Extreme Sports ‘Dude’.

He was from Watford.

crikey
    Free Member

I gave up mountain biking in about 1990-91, lots of reasons to do with family and stuff, but I recall meeting a young lad near where I live at the bottom of a hill and after hearing him say ‘ that was a totally gnarly descent, man’ in his Rochdale accent, I decided that I really shouldn’t shed any tears over my exit. The mags of the day were pushing this ‘mountain biking as a lifestyle’ shit, and some of them still are, whereas I see it as riding a bike.

jam-bo

Well, you can agonize over the language or just admire the talent and sheer balls of the guy….

grumm
    Free Member

What on earth does the way someone else describes something have to do with whether you enjoy mountain biking or not, and what are you doing on a mountain biking forum if you gave up nearly 20 years ago? 😛

crikey
    Free Member

I came back later, but I still despair at the way that it gets sold as a lifestyle thing, like surfing is.

It’s just riding a bike.

s8tannorm
    Free Member

Crikey everyones different. It might just be riding a bike for you but for some it is their life. Granted it’s easy for anyone to but a Ripcurl T shirt and walk down the street all ‘surfy’…but many surfers do walk the walk just as many mountain bikers do.

Stuart

adstick
    Free Member

Jesus listen to the old men.

Personally I’m stoked to be going riding today, and intend to send it.

Smee
    Free Member

adstick – whatever you do don’t use parcelfarce.

scotabroad

Bet he couldnt ski glen shee on a stormy day 😉

grumm
    Free Member

Bet he wouldn’t want to. 😉

RudeBoy
    Free Member

‘Stoked’- have you had someone fill yer arse with burning coal, then?

molgrips
    Free Member

Apparently so.

And who cares about the language? It’s fun.

Dude.

adstick
    Free Member

Language evolves. People who complain about its ‘improper’ use are normally too thick to understand this fact.

Anyway I don’t watch snowboard/bike films to hear what the riders have to say…

chakaping
    Free Member

Back on topic, I saw a bit of a show called Lines on the Extreme channel last night – showing US/Canadian “big mountain” snowboarders doing similar stuff in Alaska.

I think it was possibly the same film maker too, as the editing looked very similar.

But this had great use of music and interesting and informative interviews with articulate snowboarders talking about the dangers of their sport and the lifestyle they were living.

Worth looking out for.

GrahamS

Speaking of snow vidoes:

If you haven’t already then check out http://snowfix.tv/

They do video podcasts (subscribe through iTunes or just watch on the site).
    Worth watching Episode 74 – Injury Special where one of their presenters gets caught in an avalanche!

(oh and they are generally articulate too, with only the occasional gnarly slipping out).

Poindexter
    Free Member

I watched that and found myself saying “whoooooooooooooaaaah! What a dude!”

Sounds pretty much the same no matter what the accent.

I prefer people who speak with accents or affectations to those brain-dead nipples that try to type in colloquial parlance.

stevomcd
    Free Member

However you say it…. Terje is the man…

scotabroad – don’t think Terje has ever ridden in Scotland, but he did ride the Sheffield dryslope!

meeeee
    Free Member

that video looks a bit ‘squashed’ sideway – peoples heads appear a bit long and the helicopter at about 37 seconds seems tall and thin.

Still v impressive, but i wonder if its making stuff look a bit steeper than normal

grumm
    Free Member

Lines is an awesome film.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I came back later, but I still despair at the way that it gets sold as a lifestyle thing, like surfing is.

It’s just riding a bike.

Got to say biking scene and surfing scene is totally different, but from a surfing point of view it really is a lifestyle you fall into when doing the sport. You tend to be a lot more laid back, a lot more patient and really obsessed with the conditions, the weather etc etc. Surfers spend whole days just sat around watching the sea waiting, relaxing, BBQing etc and they’re a group of people who spend most of their time with the same sort of people – they’re bound to create their own styles, speech and views just like any other group. These things are lifestyle choices, sure some people just want to ride a bike at the weekend, others let themselves get a little more immersed – theres no harm in that. Their extra/new words dont bother me at all – its the total lack of vocab that gets me – they can add new words all they like if they can string together a coherent sentence.

As for the music, that simply revives the same feelings you get when actually doing the sport. Thats the reason people put them over the track, to create an emotional response.

jam-bo

err. very few surfers I know and surf with spend whole days sat round watching the sea waiting, relaxing, BBQing etc….

when its on, its on and you get to the coast pronto. I hate the beach, just a bit of dirt I have to cross to get to the waves…

RudeBoy
    Free Member

I watched that and found myself saying “whoooooooooooooaaaah! What a dude!”

Aw, bless! Did you find yourself dribbling? Did you have a little ‘accident’?

I prefer people who speak with accents or affectations to those brain-dead nipples that try to type in colloquial parlance.

Heh! You love me really, don’t you, Adam? Go on, admit it; I give your life meaning.

they can add new words all they like if they can string together a coherent sentence.

Trouble is, some of ’em can’t! They just sound a bit thick. Youse all know it, too.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Bye bye, mate!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘falling off a mountain….’ is closed to new replies.