Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Mac users, your help please.
  • thegreatape
    Free Member

Just replaced our old PC with an iMac. Having initially assumed I would need some sort of internet security/anti-virus as with a PC, it appears many people don’t bother with it on a Mac. Is this really ok? Mrs Ape is not convinced at all. I was wondering about one of the free ones such as ClamXav. Thoughts appreciated.

unsponsored
    Free Member

clamxav should be just fine.

peteimpreza

Been running a Mac for over four years now and have had absolutely no need for for security or anti-virus software. The only additional “security” we have is an encrypted password protected wireless network.

Save your money and enjoy your Mac.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Was just thinking of one of the free ones. While you’re here, what is Safari like vs Firefox? I’ve been told Firefox is ‘safer’.

geoffj

Make sure the firewall function on your router is switched on.
    Apple do recommend using antivirus software now, but I haven’t bothered.
    There is a slightly increased risk (theoretically at least) to any PC users you may share files with if their security isn’t up to scratch, because you wont be checking for viruses before passing them on.

grumm
    Free Member

I’ve had one for about 2 years and never bothered with anti virus – never had a problem. We also have loads of them at work and none of them have any anti virus either – just firewall on the router.

peteimpreza

Safari is way better than Firefox

grumm
    Free Member

Oh yeah and I use safari too – got fed up of constantly updating firefox and finding plugins stopped working. Safari is a bit faster too.

beamers

I seem to recall seeing something on the BBC website about the possible increase development of Mac specific viruses due to the increase usage of Mac computers. I run Windows on my Mac, through Parallels and run Avast on the windows side. Not bothered with anything on the Mac side though.

I am a Firefox person myself, although the ability to save stuff onto your dashboard via Safari us pretty cool.

SaxonRider

I’ve been using different Macs for more than ten years and never used any kind of security software, and my computers have never so much as hiccuped.

CountZero

The only serious virus was back around ’95-96, transmitted via photoshop files, but there’s been very little directed at Macs in recent years.

Flaperon

MacBook and FireFox here with no antivirus software. Windows XP SP3 runs in Fusion with no antivirus either but equally, no write access to anything outside its virtual world. Frankly, provided you have automatic updates turned on and don’t use IE on Windows, you don’t need antivirus for that either.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Mac users, your help please.’ is closed to new replies.