Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Facebook, what a pile of…..
  • oldgit
    Free Member

Was using it to talk nonsense with people I've met over the years, but now my homepage is full of people I don't know and I've got friends I didn't know I had? I thought you had to OK them.
    Each time I look at my page I have a long WTF moment. Can I delete these 'friends'.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I thought you had to OK them.

you do

Can I delete these 'friends'.

yes

you may also want to set your options so only friends can see your info/posts etc

if you go to the page for a friend, bottom of the left hand column is "Remove from Friends"

jon1973
    Free Member

you may also want to set your options so only friends can see your info/posts etc

Yes, I thought that was the default.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I thought that was the default.

I think they changed it so the default is to let everyone see everything

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

You may want to change it so no one can see you!! And just ignore those friends, easy.

firestarter
    Free Member

i had an account til yesterday when i closed it. but i also found i was getting lots of friends i hadnt accepted. so may be a problem some where. but i was also getting two women i went to school with bothering me so glad im shut of it lol

jon1973
    Free Member

You may want to change it so no one can see you!! And just ignore those friends, easy.

You mean have a Facebook account where you can only talk to yourself?

uplink
    Free Member

I keep getting an invite from someone called Claire M Kinard

I don't even have or want a facespace account or – even less – imaginary friends

iDave
    Free Member

Facebook Old luddites what a pile of…..

scaredypants

I've only got 1 friend on FB, and I hate him anyway 😉

hels
    Free Member

I'm going to become a millionaire with my new website called Arsebook. It sends emails to random strangers and people you met once telling them to rack off. It will become a global sensation with retired people falling over themselves to have the most enemies.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

I'm getting really sick now of some algorithm telling who I might like to contact 👿

coffeeking
    Free Member

but i also found i was getting lots of friends i hadnt accepted

They must have a pretty major security breech somewhere, or you borked your settings, as I never get friends I dont OK. I get people pestering me to be friends but I just ignore them.

oldgit
    Free Member

Nope I had six mates that now live in other countries, that was it. Though a little investigation shows them to be freinds by association. Cleaned up now.
    I wonder if it tells them they've been deleted, coz that's proper sad being deleted on Facebook.

molgrips
    Free Member

You don't have to accept friend invites, you just click 'Ignore' instead of 'Accept'. I know, I know, it's pretty obscure..

Facebook's been great to me. I now know my own extended family and my wife's much better, got some good friends on there now who previously were people I'd met once or twice at family gatherings.

And for those who say 'just phone or write instead' it's far easier and more likley to happen that we all read each others notes and pics than we go through our entire address books once a day and call everyone to let them know what's going on in our lives.

uplink
    Free Member

coz that's proper sad being deleted on Facebook

don't they call it 'unfriended'?

molgrips
    Free Member

I'm getting really sick now of some algorithm telling who I might like to contact

It's no worse than having Wiggle telling me what to buy all day.

Plus, Woppit's not on my friends list, so that's a plus 😉

simonralli2
    Free Member

Oldgit

If I get this right, you signed up to facebook, accepted your old friends' friend requests, and are now complaining that they are your facebook friends? One thing you can do is ignore news from people you have as friends. I do this so my newsfeed is only full of the news from an inner sanctum of special people, VIPs if you will.

Facebook can be excellent if you use it in a limited way and fully utilise the security settings.

blades2000
    Free Member

As far as I know when you delete a friend on Facebook they will never know, unless they have been watching your profile.

oldgit
    Free Member

I never clicked on accept and today two people that often come up in suggested are now/were friends. My homepage was just full of these two talking about farmville? and finding eggs and borrowing nails and wood?
    I deleted them from friends and all their messages have gone to. I keep my two teenagers on there and that throws up some drivel sometimes.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I never clicked on accept and today two people that often come up in suggested are now/were friends.

Never happens to me. Sometimes their posts come up on my wall as they're talking to other people who ARE my friends, but they are not listed as my friends, and with the right settings you can stop their drivel coming through.

Keva
    Free Member

…more drivel on FB than on STW

roger_mellie

Facebook changed the default privacy settings on everyones account around Christmas, which may have had an effect on your sudden popularity, Mr Git.

You may find the following helpful to change your privacy settings back to something sensible.

linky link link

Rich
    Free Member

They are probably coming up on your news feed, which can happen if they are friends of friends.

Not the same as posting on your profile.

GrahamS

And you can hide all that Farmville, MyAquarium, Daily Luck bollocks by clicking the X next to any post then choosing "Hide All Posts From xxxx"

rOcKeTdOg

you can delete your entire profile and stop stressing about it, believe it or not Facebook or even the internet isn't compulsory! 😯

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Facebook, what a pile of…..’ is closed to new replies.