Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Facebook help for a novice
  • WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I want to use Facebook and Gmail to help coordinate helper and dig days at the Southampton Sports Centre Skills area . I am planning on using Southampton Cycle as the name to coordinate this as I used it for the initial blog.(http://southamptoncycle.wordpress.com/)

1) I want an email account so people can contact me easily.
    2) I want a public Facebook page where people can read about the Skills Area.
    3) I want a private area where only ‘members’ can see the details of planned dig days etc.

1) I have achieved this! southamptoncycle at gmail dot com
    2) I have set up a facebook account using this email address and my name. Should i have used Southampton Cycle as my name? If so, can I change my name in Facebook or do i have to delete the one i just created?
    3) I have created a secret group in my Facebook account but how do other people join the group?

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Well I have managed to change my name to
    First Name : Southampton
    Last name : Cycle

now need to work out how to show stuff on the home page. I may just stick a link to the blog.

Any other suggestions welcome

josh1982
    Free Member

you need to create a “page” rather than a “group”. You will then once you have 25+ fans be able to get a facebook domain such as facebook.com/southamptoncycle

josh1982
    Free Member

go to your personal account and click the account tab then create page. name page southampton cycle and start inviting people to join.

If you have emails just email them. Or you could use mailchimp facebook emailer

highclimber
    Free Member

the truth is, no one knows as FB keep changing the layout.

miketually
    Free Member

You’re not supposed to set up an account for a group. FB accounts should all be real people, with groups and/or pages for organisations.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I am Southampton Cycle a person. The group is called Chaos. I am the creator of Chaos.

I will now try and create a page.

If any of you lot are from around Southampton and want to get involved then try and contact me on Facebook to join the group. That way I can see what happens and test if it works.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Are you aware there is a BBB Facebook account?

I was not informed of this….

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

How do I create a page?

i can’t see any mention of it.

miketually
    Free Member

Go to another page; there will be a create a page link on the left. Nobody knows how the first page was created.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

The only pages I can see are my profile and wall. I guess these aren’t the kind of pages you are talking about. How to I get to a page like the ones you mean?

miketually
    Free Member

Use the search function. There are pages called things like “how do I make a page”. Or find the STW one?

josh1982
    Free Member

go to http://www.facebook.com/livbeauty thats my mrs page for her business. click top right create page

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Facebook help for a novice’ is closed to new replies.