Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Extremely cold painfull feet using spd's.
  • ton

whenever i use spd’s my feet get very cold and painfull.
    went out tonight for 90 mins and when i got back i was in agony.
    shoes fit fine, i wear merino socks all the time, yet it still happens.

help.

druidh
    Free Member

Try a pedal with a bit of “platform” on it. The Shimano Trail pedals might work. I use Crank Bros Candys and Mallets might also be an option. Basically, you want to spread your weight around the sole of the shoe a bit and an SPD cleat is pretty small.

rewski
    Free Member

I would question the fit, sounds like you’re cutting circulation, maybe cleat position?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ton

i keep thinking about going back to old style metal pedals and toeclips. never has a problem with them.
    might try some of those trail pedals tho druidh..cheers.

clubber
    Free Member

a mate of mine swears by kitchen foil – the thicker stuff – and/or clingfilm.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

What rewski said…I had the same problem…realised I was doing up the shoes too tightly. Loosened off a notch or two and bingo, no more freezing, numb/painful feet. I was under some kind of impression that my feet had to be bound in tighter than a geisha’s…which was bollocks.

You’ve tried some decent overshoes haven’t you?

TiRed

Do they have fabric over the toe box? Mine do and they are cold in anything but summer.

Are you overtightening the straps? Poor circulation is my problem, even with winter boots when overtightening.

I think it’s a combination. But I had cold feet this am in my shimano road shoes.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Ton, is it since the Warfarin? My hands used to get cold outdoors, but the hand I used my walking stick with was always painfully cold. I don’t know if it was my nerves or the warfarin that done it, but it seemed to go with the warfarin

Edit, to clarify, the pressure applied to the stick seemed to make the coldness worse.

Taff
    Free Member

Also look at cleat position. I had majorly painful feet in cold evenings on one set of shoes and realised my cleat position was set up differently to my main shoes.

ton

shoes are not too tight, shoes are specialized tahoe, which are suede, they are pretty flexible tho.
    Paul……the warfarin does make my hands and feet very cold.

cheers_drive

Stiffer shoes or platform pedals would solve it unless it is the meds. I’ve only had the issue on longer road rides though.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Are your socks too tight? I get this when I wear my sealskins that have been tumble dried.

rewski
    Free Member

Do you have six toes?

brokensoul
    Free Member

Get some decent shoes, big un. I’ve got a pair of Tahoes, I find that I can feel the cleats after 30 minutes.
    Have you got some Sidis? Give them a try, if you have.

teasel
    Free Member

I get a numbish feeling when wearing my Spesh Sonoma shoe but don’t suffer the same when using the Trail 120s – same pedal. It only happens if a
    I put in some effort and/or ride for a longer period of time than I usually do for my town forays.

They’re a hybrid shoe designed to be comfortable walking and at a guess, I’d say gentle as opposed to hard riding. Maybe try a shoe with a stiffer sole, as some have alluded to…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Extremely cold painfull feet using spd's.’ is closed to new replies.