Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 88 total)
  • extreme guilt – Cat has to go…
  • unfitgeezer
    Free Member

…Wife is so stressed with the situation.

New rescue dog arrived in April and since then we have tried everything for the cat and dog to tolerate each other.

The dog just wants to be friends with the cat, the cat has no interest in being friendly or even being in the same room.

Cat lives upstairs and occasionally goes out but can’t access the cat flap for fear of the dog.

Tried the plug in stuff with the cat – makes no difference,

To add the cat hates other cats as well, she keeps weeing on toys, beds etc as she is clearly distressed.

Its not fair for her to live like this she deserves to be happy and come and go without fear.

Shes still really loving as sleeps on beds wakes us up in the morning my oldest son addores her, youngest couldnt give two hoots about her.

What to do ! Wife is getting so stressed -which in turn brings other stresses/anxieties in.

Ideally want to keep her, it feels wrong to get rid of her also showing the children a bad example…

….Just doesn’t sit right !

Ahhhhh and breath !

footflaps

How come the cat has to go? Cat was there first….

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Dog has to go.

johndoh
    Free Member

Wife has to go

jambourgie
    Free Member

Wife takes dog with her.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Hardly fair is it? Last in, first out surely?

fasthaggis

Give the cat to someone you know,that way the son can visit.

iainc

you could go ?

RobHilton
    Free Member

Cat might well go of own accord.

Coyote
    Free Member

Why does the cat have to go? Did it behave like this before the arrival of the dog? I think maybe you need to take a long hard look at yourself…

bikebouy
    Free Member

Kids and wife to go, cat moves next door, your mum has the dog.

You are left with the bikes and fridge full of food.

Winner winner, ice cream filler.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

footflaps – Member
    How come the cat has to go? Cat was there first….

Had this conversation – will get far more out of dog ownership than cat ownership…

More experiences with the dog etc holidays

Coyote – Member
    Why does the cat have to go? Did it behave like this before the arrival of the dog? I think maybe you need to take a long hard look at yourself

It was fine before dog arrived (still hated other cats)

I think maybe you need to take a long hard look at yourself

Why ?

Rob Hilton – Member
    Cat might well go of own accord.

Comes back – likes the food !

RustySpanner

Not fair on the cat, poor sod.

jambourgie
    Free Member

Son moves to Legoland. Takes cat.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Poor cat.

Gary_M
    Free Member

get a new pet and throw the old one out, hardly fair. Dog needs to go, that’s what’s caused the issue.

Had this conversation – will get far more out of dog ownership than cat ownership…

That’s harsh, maybe you shouldn’t have pets if you get bored of them easily.

Is that flooded house anywhere near you, dog and wife could live there. Your wife not the guys wife that lived in the house.

P-Jay
    Free Member

More experiences with the dog etc holidays

Ah, hence the guilt.

You’ve upgraded from a cat to a dog and are trying to justify it because “the cat isn’t happy”.

That’s stone cold. You might as well buy a sack and work out where the nearest river is yourself.

jimjam
    Free Member

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Cat/dog needs to go live on a ‘farm’ 🙄

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Gary_M – Member
    get a new pet and throw the old one out, hardly fair. Dog needs to go, that’s what’s caused the issue.

Bit harsh !

Asking for advice !

fasthaggis

Run it through a Catalytic converter.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Ah, hence the guilt.

You’ve upgraded from a cat to a dog and are trying to justify it because “the cat isn’t happy”.

That’s stone cold. You might as well buy a sack and work out where the nearest river is yourself.

Not at all !

Gary_M
    Free Member

Cat/dog needs to go live on a ‘farm’

rogermoore

Run it through a Catalytic converter.

I’ve got a feline that the OP isn’t looking for puns right now.
    RM.

khani
    Free Member

Ask not what your pet gives you but what you can give your pet..
    Having been up to four dogs and three cats at one stage I’d say leave em to it and they’ll sort themselves out in the end, ours get on fine now after some initial shenanigans,
    In fact we’re now in the position that the staffie thinks he’s a poodle, the poodles think they’re Siamese cats,
    And the cat thinks he’s god..
    All good in the end though..

walla24
    Free Member

I had this same situation, so I picked up an old bit of drainpipe from the tip, lined it with carpet for grip and attached it to upstairs window sill—> garden fence
    Cat comes and goes when ever he likes, is now much less stressed

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

feed the dog to the cat

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

walla24 – Member
    I had this same situation, so I picked up an old bit of drainpipe from the tip, lined it with carpet for grip and attached it to upstairs window sill—> garden fence
    Cat comes and goes when ever he likes, is now much less stressed

Like – send a picture ?

perchypanther
    Free Member

Just let ’em fight it out.

Go on holiday with the winner.

fasthaggis

Put this on the outside wall..

khani
    Free Member

Play this while they’re fighting..
    [video]https://youtu.be/AphxyjrH4SE[/video]

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Have you tried dating?. Some soft lighting, moody tunes, dinner for two, (tuna, can’t fail). If not rohypnol the cat so it wakes up in an inappropriate position with the dog. They get on, married , have a catdog child…win win. Problem solved.

oafishb
    Free Member

So…you introduced a predator into a formerly happy cat’s home and are now upset that it’s miserable and has to go and continue a worse life elsewhere?

😯

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

monkeysfeet – Member
    Have you tried dating?. Some soft lighting, moody tunes, dinner for two, (tuna, can’t fail). If not rohypnol the cat so it wakes up in an inappropriate position with the dog. They get on, married , have a catdog child…win win. Problem solved.

I’ll get a tin of John West on the way home !

oafishb – Member
    So…you introduced a predator into a formerly happy cat’s home and are now upset that it’s miserable and has to go and continue a worse life elsewhere?

Er no ! It would be happier in dog free zone !

ads678

Been in a similar situation with our cat. Except ours got stressed with the arrival of kids. We moved house about 5 years ago thinking that the cat didn’t have much longer left. she’s now 19 years old and can hardly walk, costs us a fortune in special food and still shits on the floor in the kitchen!

Fortunately since she became deaf she’s chilled out loads and actually sits with the kids.

I’ve wanted rid of her loads of times but we bought her years ago so have to see it through. At 19 she can’t have long left now…..

Unless you can give the cat away to a nice home you should just suck it up and do you best to make the whole family get along, including the cat.

walla24
    Free Member

it’s not pretty but he loves it!

Yes dogs give you ‘more’ but cats give you something different- they choose to be near you not like dogs who are just obedient

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

If the cat came before the wife, kids or dog, then they get turfed in that order. Last in, first out.

Though I broke the rule.

Got the wife before the cat. Wife gone, cat stays.

loddrik
    Free Member

I have three siamese and a dog. Got dog about a year ago and two reluctantly tolerate him the other still absolutely cannot stand him. Dog obviously just wants to be friends but cats aren’t interested.

If the situation were to to deteriorate to a point to where they couldn’t exist together it would be the dog that would be gone in a second. It’s not the cats fault that we moved a dog into their house and upset the balance.

Absolutely last in first out.

Can’t believe the OP is even suggesting getting rid of the cat before the dog.

footflaps

Absolutely last in first out.

+1

Cats are for life.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Can’t believe the OP is even suggesting getting rid of the cat before the dog.

I’m looking for help/advice not to be judged !

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 88 total)

The topic ‘extreme guilt – Cat has to go…’ is closed to new replies.