Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 88 total)
  • extreme guilt – Cat has to go…
  • globalti
    Free Member

Well that’s told you.

What about creating a safe haven for the cat where the dog isn’t allowed? Our cats hate the neighbour’s screamy kids and will vanish to somewhere safe when the neighbour brings them round.

the-muffin-man

Get more dogs and more cats – then you won’t know what the **** is going on!

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

globalti – Member
    Well that’s told you.

What about creating a safe haven for the cat where the dog isn’t allowed? Our cats hate the neighbour’s screamy kids and will vanish to somewhere safe when the neighbour brings them round.

Dog cant get upstairs…

onandon
    Free Member

Rub catnip on the dog .

Keva
    Free Member

I’m looking for help/advice not to be judged !

…and the advice is to get rid of the dog. Surely you must have realised that bringing a dog into a cat’s home is not really a great idea!?!?

Gary_M
    Free Member

Dog cant get upstairs…

I don’t suppose the cat is 100% sure that the dog can’t get upstairs though. Unless you’ve put a sign up of course, something like ‘no dogs allowed beyond this point’ for example.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Keva – Member

…and the advice is to get rid of the dog. Surely you must have realised that bringing a dog into a cat’s home is not really a great idea!?!?

Didnt expect it to be this bad…

jekkyl

any local oriental resturants in the area?

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Cats are solitary predators who in no way actually give a **** about you. They dont care who feeds them as long as they get fed.

My dog on the other hand, bursts through the bedroom door in the morning if it can…. jumps in the bed and spoons you with its head on the pillow…. because its a pack animal that has an evolutionary imperative to care about others in the group.

**** the cat. If it was bigger than you it would crack your skull open with its jaws whilst you slept. Do your local songbirds a favour and launch it into low earth orbit.

Coyote
    Free Member

#edit. CBA. I suspect you’ve already made your mind up and are just seeking validation rather than advice.

councilof10
    Free Member

You might as well buy a sack and work out where the nearest river is yourself.

+1 😉

jonnyboi

The cat would shit on your bed and move on to a better gig in a heartbeat, if the opportunity presented itself.

The dog, on the other hand will worship the ground you walk on for life.

Ditch the cat. Felines have no morals or conscience.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Ditch the cat. Felines have no morals or conscience

You mean like someone who kicks out an existing resident when a new one who doesn’t fit in arrives?

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

[video]https://youtu.be/oW9f04Dctz4[/video]

zippykona

Who would you trust to dig you out of a snowdrift?
    That loyalty needs rewarding now.

myti
    Free Member

If the dog is definitely cat friendly and won’t jump on the cat have you tried shutting them in a room together. I had my cat 2 years before I got the dog. Cat was freaked and ran away every time so I shut us all in the sitting room and sat down to watch TV for the night instructing dog to ignore cat. Cat eventually realised dog not a threat and now will sleep together and cat cleans dogs ears.

Sometimes we have various friends dogs over and cat will disappear. If we are dog sitting a friends dog I repeat the locking in process so cat is forced to get to know the new dog is safe. It may seem cruel but it worked and is less cruel than shipping them off to a cats home. I’ve volunteered at rspca and it’s sad how many cats are stuck in little pens there.

onandon
    Free Member

Lock them In a room and let them get on with it. Last one standing stays.

funkmasterp

So…you introduced a predator into a formerly happy cat’s home and are now upset that it’s miserable and has to go and continue a worse life elsewhere?

I hate to break it to you, but cats are predators. More so than dogs as dogs have been domesticated way more. My cat used to bring me dead things as gifts, my last dog brought me my own shoes.

cranberry
    Free Member

I hate to break it to you, but cats are predators. More so than dogs as dogs have been domesticated way more. My cat used to bring me dead things as gifts, my last dog brought me my own shoes.

Yes, but cats are also prey to larger predators, like dogs. Hence the problem, as the OP brought something that the cat considers is likely to eat it, into its territory.

And now the OP wants to get rid of the cat, because of reasons – shiny new dog.

kayak23

Are you new here?. 😉

Just dress the dog up in a catstume. Problem solved.

cinnamon_girl

Mice aren’t to be found in homes these days so cats are redundant as they no longer serve a purpose. 😈

Cougar

Mice aren’t to be found in homes these days so cats are redundant as they no longer serve a purpose.

Do you want to tell that to the mouse I caught last week? It doesn’t appear to have got the memo.

Sandwich

Wife takes dog

Check!

funkmasterp

Yes, but cats are also prey to larger predators, like dogs. Hence the problem, as the OP brought something that the cat considers is likely to eat it, into its territory

What breed is the new dog OP? That’ll help us decide if your cat just needs to cat the **** up.

RustySpanner

Family of four?

Eat the dog. Everyone gets a leg and there’s plenty left over for sandwiches.

jambourgie
    Free Member

cinnamon_girl – Member
    Mice aren’t to be found in homes these days so cats are redundant as they no longer serve a purpose.

You’re wrong.

They’re funny. That’s their purpose.

cinnamon_girl

Do you want to tell that to the mouse I caught last week? It doesn’t appear to have got the memo.

Keep it as a pet then, go on you know you want to. 🙂

cinnamon_girl

You’re wrong.

They’re funny. That’s their purpose.

Reckon a dog is more entertaining!

garage-dweller

We have two rescue cats taken on in very similar circumstances to what the OP describes. Previously we have had rescue dogs too (all passed away at ripe old ages in our care).

It was quite apparent after a few days that the cats did not give a flying toupee about the change of owner slaves.

They do what cats do, they eat, sleep, play, fur up the furniture and kill the odd mouse mixed with an occasional show of affection to keep us on board and encourage us not to make them into cat-o-van.

A week of disruption while it settles into a new home vs. the current lifestyle for the cat I’d say is an ok trade off.

You may have made a mistake adding the dog but if something has to change then stick with what’s right for you but also consider actually which animal might be more adaptable.

It sounds like one of the two has to go.

Therefore one of them is about to get disruption to its life. The dog has been through that more recently and may in fact suffer more depending on its previous rehoming history.

Neither animal chose the current position – you created it (no blame implied here just a statement of fact that you/the family chose to add the dog) so disrupting the dog’s life on a last in first out basis isn’t really logical although it is an understandable emotional reaction.

Fwiw, Cats Protection helped our cats’ former owner and we were able to move from house to house without a cattery in between.

As an aside one of our two was known to have stress based UTIs, exacerbated by the dog. No signs of one of those six months later. Happier cat.

jambourgie
    Free Member

Cougar, are you like an actual cougar? As in a cat cougar? What with catching mice and stuff. I now cats are clever but moderating a MTB forum is pretty cool. What else can you do?

jonnyboi

You mean like someone who kicks out an existing resident when a new one who doesn’t fit in arrives?

Yes, they are clearly identical, apart from the guilt and seeking advice first, of course.

Oh, and the killing for fun, cats do that too. So in a way they’re have more in common with us than dogs.

rickmeister

3 pages in, so…
    You had a cat, life was cool…
    Why did you get a dog as well?

teethgrinder

Dab of Bisto on the tip…

lazlowoodbine
    Free Member

We got a german shepherd puppy last year then a year old rescue cat a few weeks later. Kept the cat separate from the dog (and outside) for a bit and had to introduce them them slowly, very slowly as it turns out.. Now they can be in the same room if someone’s there, otherwise the dog’s all over the cat and she only tolerates that for so long. It’s taken a lot to get this far but it’s what we had to do.

That cat is clearly anxious as you say and it’s not really fur on the poor thing. Knowing the little I do about the situation I’d be erring on the last in-first out approach if you really feel they’re not going to be able to coexist.

km79
    Free Member

Tom_W1987

**** the cat. If it was bigger than you it would crack your skull open with its jaws whilst you slept. Do your local songbirds a favour and launch it into low earth orbit. This pretty much has it covered.

Cougar

Keep it as a pet then, go on you know you want to.

I thought about that, but it being motionless with a bloody great dent in its back put me off.

Cougar, are you like an actual cougar? As in a cat cougar? What with catching mice and stuff. I now cats are clever but moderating a MTB forum is pretty cool. What else can you do?

Typing is a bit tricky without opposable thumbs.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Typing is a bit tricky without opposable thumbs.

Expert at using a mouse though. 😉

mikey74
    Free Member

I don’t think it’s fair on the dog to re-home it so soon after it found a new home. My advice would be to give the cat a way to exit and enter the house (the gutter thing, earlier) and you may find it becomes much happier. It may also go elsewhere, but that also solves your problem.

I don’t think getting rid of either pet is a solution.

footflaps

I don’t think it’s fair on the dog to re-home it so soon after it found a new home.

Sooner is better than later…

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 88 total)

The topic ‘extreme guilt – Cat has to go…’ is closed to new replies.