Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Exposure Diablo – not as good as I thought?
  • slimjim78
    Free Member

After reading a few favourible reviews, I plumped for a Diablo.
    I really liked the quality and beam spread of my Toro, and thought I was essentially purchasing a mini-toro. Same number of LED’s, same output etc etc, just a shorter burn time

Turns out the beam spread is not as wide not does it penetrate as far.
    At least thats what it seems from first test.
    Was I naive?

I reckon itll make a really good helmet mounted light and road bar light for the winter, but im left feeling a little less wow factor at my (expensive) purchase.

br
    Free Member

But if used as a helmet light, the beam width doesn’t matter.

And the guys I was out with last night seemed to have moved from Joysticks to Diablos on their helmets, and my Joystick works great – was it fully charged and/or on full power?

mmb
    Free Member

that’s because the diablo is intended mainly for helmet use and the toro for bar use so the beam width is deliberatly different.

slimjim78
    Free Member

fair enough. although id have thought a toro on your head without the weight penalty would have a diablo beat.

anyways, its still a lovely bit of kit

gee
    Free Member

I love mine. Are they the same year? The newer Toro has a different beam pattern. The Exposure website says they should be the same.

billyboy
    Free Member

Use my 2009/2010 Diablo all the time…it does have limitations but I’m pleased with it

iainc

having used both Diablo and Joystick on helmet I went for the Joystick (2010/11) – lighter, bright enough to see where you are looking, good burn time. I found the Diablo just a wee bit heavy when rattling on bumpy stuff as is my norm. 2011/12 MaxxD on the bars 🙂

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

diablo is surely a helmet only light? cant see as it would be good on the bars for the reason you state – its not got a wide beam….your not wrong, its just not designed to have a wide beam, stick it on ya bonce and use it that way….

slimjim78
    Free Member

ive a 2012 Diablo.
    Dont get me wrong, I like it. But its notably less ‘kapow’ than my 2011 Toro.
    As said above, it’s spot on for a lid light.
    I was just surprised it’s quite so different considering its essentially the same light with less burn time.

flatfish
    Free Member

I have a Light and Motion ARC and a 2010 Diablo. I now use the Diablo exclusively unless it’s more than a 2 hour, and thats not very often on a night ride.
    Beam seems good enough to me. Go back to your halogens and come back with a decent argument. 🙄

markenduro
    Free Member

love mine, use it on the helmet with on night rides with another bar light and also use it for commuting on the bars, no issues with it.

slimjim78
    Free Member

I said i like it!

go back and read my actual point

STATO
    Free Member

Exposure state the Toro as same lens as Diablo, so it should be as good if not better since youve got a newer model.

From exposure…

The Diablo uses three Cree XPG R5 LEDs. The Cree XPG R5 is a more refined, higher quality LED of the same type used in the 2011 range. It keeps the same great beam patterns and colour temperature but the light has an additional 7-10% output over last year’s models. We are quoting 325 lumens per LED rather than the 300 in 2011.

Might be worth sending it to Exposure for a check-up.

pottsathome
    Free Member

I only use a diablo it’s 975 lumens what more do you need and the spread is fine for me

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Exposure Diablo – not as good as I thought?’ is closed to new replies.