Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Exploding ust tyre – why?
  • Garry_Lager

Opened the garage this morning and noticed the Nobby Nic on the whippet had gone bang in the night, distributing latex hither and yon.

This has happened to me once before, also with a NN coincidentally. In that case the tyre wasn’t usable afterwards – the bead must have gotten damaged somehow in the blow out as it wouldn’t inflate onto the rim.
    I didn’t have a change to check the one this morning as I was leaving for work – anyone know what’s going on here?

ETA The tyre wasn’t at a ridiculous pressure or anything – something like 35psi. The rim was a crest and the tyre was a 2.2.

amedias
    Free Member

ghosts…big ones…

boxfish
    Free Member

Spiders with a taste for rubber and sealant?

rickmeister

Your lucky, mine went off and I ended up covered with jizz whilst I was bent over pumping*… as well as being deaf for most of the day…

*I dont like double entendres as a rule, but I’ll slip one in occasionally

njee20
    Free Member

but I’ll slip one in occasionally

I’ll bet you will.

Presumably just using yellow tape? It does tend to knacker the bead when that happens, but I wonder if the bead fails (at least partially) then the tyre blows off, rather than vice versa.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Sounds like a failed bead to me, I’ve had this happen a few times. One memorable time it took the sidewall of a 719 rim with it.

Garry_Lager

Thks – I guess it makes sense that the bead is failing causing the blow-off. Have to say I don’t understand why a tyre bead would suddenly fail like this; must have been a bad one from Schwalbe.

glenh
    Free Member

anyone know what’s going on here?

You bought Schwalbes.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Exploding ust tyre – why?’ is closed to new replies.