Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Exmoor coastal path/ south west coastal path ridable?
  • newro97
    Free Member

A few friends and I are thinking of doing a cycling/bivvying trip from minehead to barnstable.

Does any one know how much (if any) of the coastal path is ridable or if there are any alternative bridleways in the area?

I’ve googled it but not really coming up with much.

Mooly
    Free Member

I haven`t done it myself but would suggest that it would be very difficult riding due to the steepness of terrain.
    Not much help i know.

snaps
    Free Member

I ride that area a lot & leaving Minehead, the coast path is rideable bridleway for about 4 miles, you’d then have to cut inland to decend to Selworthy unless you want to stay on the path (full of redsocks from now until Oct) then a mile or so of road through Porlock, then climb up via Worthy woods, Culbone, county gate, Watersmeet, Hillsford, Myrtlebury, Lynbridge, then a fair bit of road or cheeky stuff after that until you get to Spreacombe south of Ilfracombe (staying on the coast after Croyde is flat for 15 odd miles into Barnstaple)

newro97
    Free Member

cheers snaps, have you done any bivvying or wild camping in the area?

Butterfly2346
    Free Member

I’m watching this thread with interest… as me and the BF are eye-ing up the area west of Porlock for a coastal ride much like snaps mentioned.

Would love to see some pics!

We will be camping to get a base to explore the area and possibly also to Exmoor as well, we will go armed with an OS map 🙂 There also seems to be a far few reasonably priced camp sites around the area.

Whats the terrain like around the area?

snaps
    Free Member

cheers snaps, have you done any bivvying or wild camping in the area?

No I haven’t, prefer a nice bed after a days riding, but there are some nice sheltered spots along there.

Would love to see some pics!

Cheeky sunset ride on the coast path west into Porlock bay
    Same trail a mile further back coming down from Selworthy beacon on an overcast day
    Countisbury hill above Lynmouth
    Trails near Simonsbath on Exmoor
    The locals

Pook

I was walking down there a few weeks back. There’s a bridleway into the back of porlock weir that was incredible, then a fire road/tarmac club out. Also, a 3mile descent from.dunkery beacon to dunster that looks ace

Butterfly2346
    Free Member

Most excellent 😆

Wow it was only yesterday me and the BF where thinking of giving it a go We are sooooo…. going there when weather has another warm spat!!!

Love the locals BTW

lump

The next section from Barnstaple out to Hartland/Bude is more ridable along the coast. And has some great riding

newro97
    Free Member

cheers guys, looks great!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Exmoor coastal path/ south west coastal path ridable?’ is closed to new replies.