Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Excited! New frame arrived (crosslight pro 6) but a bit stumped with the headset
  • organic355
    Free Member

Excited muchly as new frame arrived, kinesis crosslight pro 6, but bit baffled with the headset, never seen anything like it before, but I have only ever owned 2 bikes (built 1)

So how does this work then? and how do I go about fitting. Quite happy fitting a star fangled nut and cutting forks to size but this has got be baffled. I cant see how you would set it at the correct depth within the steerer tube?

New frame:

headset/nut/topcap:

trailflow
    Free Member

From their website here

”HEADSET: Integrated, 41.8ø upper, 51.8ø lower, for taper head tube. FSA No.42/ACB headset included with frame.

Both bearings are ‘ACB’, meaning ‘Angular Contact Bearings’. The head-tube seat angle is 45º.

The headset drops into a tapered seat in the head tube and is tensioned using a headset tensioner within the fork steerer. Tensioning the headset centres it on the taper and prevents any play. The larger lower bearing allows a tapered steerer and larger crown. This gives sharper response and helps reduce flex under braking.”

organic355
    Free Member

so do I just cut the steerer to length and drop that in and tension it? It looks like an anchor bolt which expands as you tighten it.

With he actual headset I have also got what looks like a crown race, but it is to small to sit where a crown race should sit, not sure if I need this bit?

Will take another pic of the headset bits and hopefully someone can explain where all the bits go…….

antigee

you don’t want to put a star fangled nut in a carbon steerer – hence the thing you’ve got

fitting instruction for the headset are on the fsa website – my memory says that it come supplied with an extra ring than you don’t need which is why need to check diagram

(well i reckon not and i’m still alive and not got a floppy one) , other than that easier to fit than a conventional headset

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Have a look here at the clicky’s. First one is the headset installation and the second is for the compressor, assuming it’s a carbon steerer tube.

Installation
    Compressor

organic355
    Free Member

next question, how safe is it to cut carbon steerers, do I need full breathing aparratus? 😯

Digger90
    Free Member

Do NOT(!) under ANY circumstances, fit a star-fangled nut inside a carbon steerer tube. If you do, it’ll likely break off when you’re at high speed and kill you, planet Earth will implode and all human life will be gone.

Seriously though – you should NEVER install an SFN in a carbon steerer – it’s dangerous.

The expansion fitting you pictured sits inside the steerer tube and if you look closely you’ll see there is a 6mm hex/allen fitting inside, and further inside that is (usually) a threaded section for a 5mm allen screw – although yours looks like it has an external threaded section which the top cap screws onto.

Fit the expander bung into the steerer tube at the appropriate height (after you have measured and trimmed the steerer to length), tighten the 6mm allen to secure it in place. This needs to be snug/tight, but not forced too tight.

The top cap is then fitted, the screw going into the expansion bung.

It’s very easy once you have done it once but really this is not something to mess with so if you’re not sure it’d be best to take it to your LBS and pay them £10 to do it.

antigee

really this is not something to mess with

oh i don’t know – all it does is take up the slack – more important is using a torque wrench to do up the stem bolts to correct load

organic355
    Free Member

So Ive got these bits:

and these bits:

I think the 1st 2 go together like this:

but I need to fit the lower race onto the forks, normally these are split and easier to fit, so will need to bodge that or get bike shop to do it.

i think the other 3 bits go together like this

and into the frame like this?

So i just need to fit stem and spacers on top to correct height and cut forks to 2-3mm below top of stem correcto?

organic355
    Free Member

BTW I wasnt going to fit a SFN into a carbon steerer, just saying it was something I knew how to do on regular steerers, and this one had me baffled as never seen it before! 🙄

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

yep the way you have it fitted is correct!

dont cut the steerer too short! you may want some stackers in there.

put a few on top then you can have a play with the hight and once you have the correct hight you can cut the excess off.

organic355
    Free Member

so how easy is it to fit this oversize lower race without the correct tools? can I just gently tap it on with a bit of wood? or should I take to LBS?

organic355
    Free Member

what does anyone think to the frame BTW? ill post more build pics up once I get started. Still deciding whether to wait for SRAm red hydraulic discs or just go with BB& mechanicals & maybe Red or Force shifters

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Nice frame, post pics when you’re done. I’d recommend road BB7’s, superb brakes.

antigee

so how easy is it to fit this oversize lower race without the correct tools?

struggled a bit as the usual collection of plastic piping failed me all too small – saved by an aluminium cookie cutter which was right diameter which went in combo with the pipe and a few wacks

my big tip would be don’t use the axe that you used to cut up all that kindling 😉

enjoying mine but i don’t race and have yet to use for a full days ride
    very happy with BB7’s

antigee

the white looks good

here’s a black one out and about

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

I have no idea about the headset, but I really, really want one in red.

organic355
    Free Member

Sponging-Machine, they are still £449 on fatbirds, get it while you can!!

http://www.fatbirds.co.uk/22280/products/kinesis-crosslight-pro-6-cyclocross-frameset-red.aspx

senorj

frame looks lovely.I do like the white ,
    but I once had a white car – pain in the derrière to clean ,so,I’ve got a black’un on the way.
    hurrah.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Excited! New frame arrived (crosslight pro 6) but a bit stumped with the headset’ is closed to new replies.