Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Ex- Brits voting
  • amplebrew

I left the UK in 2006 and moved to the Isle Of Man, so I never imagined that I'd be able to vote in the general election.

I was amazed to find out last night that an ex-UK citizen can vote up to 15 years after they've left the country!!!!!

I find it suprising that I could vote on a countries leadership when I don't even live there!!!!

voting when abroad

Coyote
    Free Member

I think I'd bring the limit down to the term of government, i.e. maximum of five years after you've left.

amplebrew

15 years does seem like a long time 😯

I wonder how many people from other countries used their right to vote?

I'm not too sure I'd like to vote to be honest as it wouldn't feel right with not living in the UK.

stevomcd
    Free Member

Yes, I could have (but didn't!) voted in the election, even though I've lived in France for 3 years. The weird thing is that, even though I pay my taxes, social security, etc., etc. in France, I can't vote here!

coffeeking
    Free Member

I suppose at the end of the day it's probably because you might not live there now, but might intend to return. Seems odd though. Ultimately you're still a UK citizen.

amplebrew

I wouldn't be happy if people living in different countries could affect how my own country was run.

With not living in a country, how up to date with current affairs could someone be?

I'm obviously watching the news etc and speak to family and relatives about what's going on, but that's not the same as witnessing and experiencing things 1st hand?

Marge
    Free Member

I never voted when I lived there & there's even less chance now I'm overseas.
    My sis is also expat but she bothers to do the proxy vote thing via our ma…

Coyote
    Free Member

Actually, scrub that. I would make it if you don't pay UK taxes, you don't get a UK vote. That's fair enough.

vinnyeh

Not a citizen here, but still eligible to vote…

markenduro
    Free Member

Don't look here then. This can not be right at all.

mogrim

My opinion as an ex-pat…

UK politics directly affect me:
    If a Conservative government decided to pull out of the EU I'd have to take out Spanish nationality, which would be a pain. UK foreign policy has an effect on which countries I can visit (safely). My parents are both still alive, and near retirement – so UK home policy is important to me. Why shouldn't I have a vote?

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

I find it bizarre to be honest. I understand why those out the country temporarily – armed forces etc – are able to vote. But those that have essentially emigrated and begun a new life in another country shouldn't be able to vote for an MP in the UK.

mogrim

OK, but then I can't vote here, and I can't vote there. Which is not ideal.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

You have more right to vote in the country you live in than one you've left though (imo)! How long till you can vote in Spain – do you have to take out Spanish nationality?

mogrim

Yup, although I can vote in local and county (Spanish equivalent) elections.

Not massively bothered, tbh, although it does seem a little off that I can hold a full British passport but not be eligible to vote… anywhere.

Coyote
    Free Member

OK, but then I can't vote here, and I can't vote there. Which is not ideal.

although it does seem a little off that I can hold a full British passport but not be eligible to vote… anywhere.

Ain't life a drag…

amplebrew

I don't think that it would be right for me to vote in the General Election as I am now an Isle Of Man resident, although I would have been eligible.

I decided to leave the UK back in 2006 and cut all official ties (tax, national insurance etc,) and the only knowledge I have of what living in the UK is like now is from other peoples opinions or through the press, rather than through 1st hand experience.

I fully accept that the right to vote is there though and respect everyones views, it just wouldn't sit easy with myself.

mogrim

Ain't life a drag…

No, not really 🙂

I'm more pissed off at not being able to fully vote here – despite paying taxes for 14 years – than not being able to vote in the UK.

mrmo
    Free Member

Who can vote in UK general elections
    You can vote in UK general elections once you are on the electoral register and provided that you are also:
    aged 18 or over on polling day
    a British citizen, or a Commonwealth citizen or a citizen of the Irish Republic (living in the UK)
    not legally excluded from voting (for example, if you are in prison)

linky

So a Kiwi or an Irish citizen can vote in the UK but not a french or a german resident in the UK? Why????

amplebrew

It all seems a bit mad to me 🙄

I was amazed at the 15 year rule.

andytherocketeer

I pay tax in .de but NI in .uk (employed via UK co. but seconded overseas)
    I am entitled to vote in UK, so did.
    I am not entitled to vote here (except local and euro elections).
    I will continue to vote in UK until I am no longer entitled, and since my proxy is a member of the local political party and instructed to vote accordingly in all elections, I choose not to vote in the Euro elections here, since it would be morally wrong to vote twice, if not illegal.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Ex- Brits voting’ is closed to new replies.