Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • European "city break" destinations in March
  • bails

Birmingham

That’s only 15 miles down the road, I don’t think she’d be impressed. Although I’d save a fortune on the hotel, just get a Centro daysaver… 😆

Rome is looking like the winner, although good call on Porto, not thought of that.

Thanks everyone!

Mackem

San Sebastian.
    Bilbao.
    Valencia.
    Toulouse.
    Bordeaux.

thepurist

If you liked the arty bits of barca then Madrid is worth a look – reine Sofia museum for lots of modern stuff, then plenty of Goya for your fix of more classical stuff. Bilbao is great for the guggenheim and a nice callatrava bridge, but otherwise is a bit crap.

DrJ

Bergan, rainy. Haven’t been yet but expect I’ll love it when I eventually do.

Lovely little town. But not in March b

sodslaw
    Free Member

If you liked the arty bits of barca then Madrid is worth a look – reine Sofia museum for lots of modern stuff, then plenty of Goya for your fix of more classical stuff. Bilbao is great for the guggenheim and a nice callatrava bridge, but otherwise is a bit crap.

I’d agree, it’s a beautiful city and it’s worth the trip just to see Guernica but it won’t be particularly warm that time of year. I’d head south if possible.

I’d recommend Malaga actually. Spent 5 days there after a mates wedding this summer. Great Picasso museum, obviously 😀

imnotverygood

How about Seville or Granada? I agree with Not Naples.

olddonald

Go east young man
    Prague
    Krakow
    St petersberg

All cold though….

Sandwich

Verona with a trip to Mantua by train.

Scapegoat

Prague. Cheap food and beer, loads of things to see, fascinating history.we went last Easter, and realised we had really screwed up because the Jewish museum was shut for Passover. Otherwise awesome.

WildHunter2009

Florence, went with the missus and my parents last year. It gets a bit busy but its a stunning city to wander around, tons of art and museums, the foods amazing etc etc. And I believe there is some top notch road riding in the hills.

If you go sleazy jet i think they fly into Pisa so could maybe combine a day to see the tower then 3 days in Florence.

scandal42
    Free Member

I’d recommend Malaga actually. Spent 5 days there after a mates wedding this summer. Great Picasso museum, obviously

This

I was surprised by Malaga (The actual city, not the place drunken Brits think is called Malaga that they never even go near)

Very nice little city with a fair bit to see.

SaxonRider

So, where’s good for about 4 days in Europe?

Unless you posted your OP from North America, or somewhere else that isn’t Europe, you already are in Europe. I assume you mean the Continent.

Now that that’s out of the way, I really think it’s helpful to determine if your and partner’s interest’s are more northern European or southern, in the sense that visiting a city south of the mountains (Lisbon/Barcelona/Malaga/Rome) is going to give you a different experience to one to the north (Bruges/Paris/Berlin/Copenhagen/Prague). And not just because of temperature.

In any case, my vote would be for Berlin. It’s fantastic: vibrant, historic, modern, full of beer, sausages, schnitzel, museums…

mogrim

Madrid will be cold in March. Bilbao will probably be raining. Same with Porto. All great places to visit (and I live in Madrid), but not in March. I’d probably go for Malaga, Seville or Cordoba if travelling to the Iberian peninsular.

ChrisHeath

Rome isn’t that expensive if you avoid the tourist hot spots. I went a few years back. Wasn’t really sure that it would be for me, but I loved it.

If you go, book things like the Vatican Museum and Colosseum in advance. Particularly the Vatican Museum (and it’s really worth going) as you’ll be able to walk straight past the queue of people that didn’t.

Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘European "city break" destinations in March’ is closed to new replies.