Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • European "city break" destinations in March
  • bails

It’s the Mrs’ birthday in March and it’s a biggie, so I thought I’d take her away somewhere for a few days.

We went to Barcelona just over a month ago and loved it and we’ve got a trip to Venice coming up soon too (no holiday for two years and then they all turn up at once!) so neither of those places, although a similar vibe to Barcelona would be great. I’m after beer, red wine, good food and wandering round seeing the sights.

So, where’s good for about 4 days in Europe? We liked the Picasso and Gaudi stuff in Barca. Also enjoyed exploring the old town in Dubrovnik and finding little places to eat hidden down the alleys there.

I’ve heard good things about Berlin, but she’s not really a history person so I don’t think the WW2 stuff would particularly interest her, I’d enjoy it though. Is there enough stuff there that you can make a good few days of it anyway? She’s not a bike rider, so the bike tour suggested on the Berlin thread that’s going at the moment wouldn’t be her kind of thing.

I’ve heard Paris is overrated, is it? (plus she’ll be expecting me to propose if we go there!) and Rome is expensive, but worth it?

She went to Lisbon with uni years ago and liked it, so maybe there? It’ll be relatively warm at least.

Copenhagen? It’s got bikes, but what else is there?

Amsterdam? I’ve been and really likedc it, but if we go for this then she won’t take me back there for my equally ‘big’ birthday next year!

Bruges? Is there much beyond a church, chocolate and beer? Is it still on high alert?

Dublin would be an option but her birthday clashes with St Patrick’s day so it’ll be manic/expensive.

Stoner
    Free Member

Istanbul? (not Constantinople…)

Next on my list.

lunge

Rome is stunning, I liked it a lot. I’d be nice in March too.
    Munich is also bloody brilliant and surprised me a lot and I intend to take my wife there later this year. It’ll be cold though!

martinhutch

Salzburg or Munich? Edit: Beaten to it!

Rome isn’t that expensive, and is packed full of stuff to do.

Not a Paris fan, personally.

PS She’ll be expecting you to propose wherever you visit.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I went to Rome with Wife a few years back and was really impressed. So many levels of history. Food and wine was okay too. Pack comfortable shoes as you will walk a lot.

bails

Istanbul

Thanks, but no. She’s been to Turkey and Morocco before and refuses to go back. Apparently they weren’t the most ‘respectful’ places when she visited as a teenager…IYKWIM.

pomona
    Free Member

Bruges.
    Old buildings and other such sh*t, art, chocolate, chips, beer, dwarves, cocaine.

dragon
    Free Member

Rome and Paris are ace in their own ways, Rome edges it for me, but you’d find it hard to have a rubbish time at either.

Reykjavik is also great but in a very a different way.

FuzzyWuzzy

Noma – if you have deep pockets

bails

I went to Rome with Wife a few years back and was really impressed. So many levels of history. Food and wine was okay too. Pack comfortable shoes as you will walk a lot.

Thanks, maybe I should suck it up and pay for Rome!

Walking is fine, we walked about 15 miles per day in Barcelona. Just meant we could eat more! 😀

edit: And Italy is her favourite country. And we’ll have hopefully picked up a bit of the lingo in Venice.

nickjb
    Free Member

Last couple we’ve been to: Satzburg, quite small might be a bit limited for 4 days but very pretty. Quiet in the evening, to the point of being empty, but maybe it was the time of year. Krakov, really nice. So much history and interesting architecture. Obviously a bit of war stuff in the history but I actually found that quite an eye opener despite feeling reasonably knowledgeable on the subject. Great to walk around and bustling. Quite keen on Ljubljana next.

everyone
    Free Member

I’m going to Lille in early April with my gf. I’ve handily arranged it so that we can watch Paris-Roubaix on the Sunday!

martinhutch

I’d agree that Salzburg is quite small for four days, but one advantage is that you can take a day trip out to very pretty places like Berchtesgarden, which is only about 30mins by road.

And go on the Sound of Music tour dressed as a nun.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

This is what it looked like in 2011 : https://photos.google.com/u/0/album/AF1QipOIOYKZzKpbsGXdkdFL39KWUDp2Ldv8Btd8o0dN

Hopefully you can follow the link. Google Pictures hates me and gives me great long URLS when I try to post pictures which I have to convert and I can’t be arsed

grizedaleforest

I would also go for Rome, especially in March. But maybe also consider Siena or Florence as a bit more manageable for a short break.

Jason
    Free Member

Just back from Budapest. Not the poshest place, but I thought it was a nice city to spend some time in. The thermal baths are amazing, and well worth a visit. Lots of restaurants and bars all over the place. Lots of interesting history. Plenty of easy tourist sites to visit. Really cheap as well.

I spent a few days in Parma last year. Really enjoyed it there, not too touristy, probably the best restaurants of any city I have been to. Not too far to get to Ferrari for a look around their museum. Only downside is no direct flight, so it involves a train from Bologna.

I was also in Vienna earlier this year. If she likes Gaudi and Picasso, then the work of Hundertwasser is of a similar vein. Personally I wasn’t that taken with Vienna as a holiday city. Maybe fine to work there but I wasn’t inspired to go back in my own time.

mrwhyte
    Free Member

+1 for Rome.

If you do a city break, search for ‘free walking tours’. Have done them in Venice and Rome. You have a local take you around, show you the hidden sights, and also shows you some of the best places to eat.

You pay what you think the tour is worth at the end, usually everyone gives 20 euros.

We found an all you can eat buffet in Venice, tucked away. 10 euros for the two of us along with a glass of local red each! bargain.

beej

+1 for Florence. In March, provided you are before Easter, the crowds won’t have arrived. So much to see, both inside and out.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Coffee is good in Rome too

scandal42
    Free Member

Lucca is a fantastic base, then spend the days in Florence (1 hour train) Empoli, Siena etc.

Lucca is more low key but so much nicer to stay in, lovely food and great local wines.

zippykona

Valetta. Plenty of history , weather should be good ,nice food and you don’t get hassled by people trying to flog you crap like you do in Rome.

willard

Berlin.

I love Berlin. Good food, good beer, stunning architecture, nice people.

hels
    Free Member

I am just back from Malta and it was brilliant. Loads of history, beautiful architecture, if you like boats you will go crazy.

Only 3 hours on the plane from London.

It is reasonably cheap, good food, friendly people and English widely spoken. Highly recommend it, in fact I can suggest a nice place to stay, we were in the Sliema district and had a brilliant sea view across to the Valetta (the gorgeous old walled town).

It reminded me of Italy but without all the rudeness and arrogance.

wrecker
    Free Member

Have a look at Zagreb.

anagallis_arvensis

Ljubliana is nice. Old style bits combined with soviet concrete.

leftyboy
    Free Member

We did Berlin last year for my wife’s big birthday, was really good but quite expensive as we did just about everything you could in 5 days!

avdave2

In March Rome for sure.Save the Berlin’s and Amsterdam’s for a warmer time of year. Salzburg is indeed beautiful but again I’d rather go in summer. Prague suits cold weather though if you fancy that.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Top tip for Rome. If you want to cross the road without getting killed by the mental Italian drivers then wait for a nun and slipstream her across the road.

There are nuns along every 30 seconds and they’re the only people the Romans will brake for.

Other than that Rome is totally worth it. Take comfy shoes.

tonyg2003

I love Rome and have visited many times – you will have a good time there. However Lisbon would be as high on my list for a march visit. I was there 3 times last year and it didn’t disappoint any time.

birky
    Free Member

Munich with a day trip to Salzburg (did this just before xmas). Bavaria ticket gets the two of you there and back for just 28e.

DrJ

Nope.

and Rome is expensive, but worth it?

This would be my choice – somewhat Barcalona-ish and nice weather in March.

Stacks to see and do, as per previous topics, but still a bit nasty weather.

DrJ

If you haven’t, and/or you prefer beer and meat to a bit of seaweed and a live ant, then Warpigs is the place to go.
    http://warpigs.dk/

badnewz
    Free Member

Rome. Always Rome. It’s eternal, apparently.

binners

Nobody mentioned Birmingham?

lunge

I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t tempted to.

Sod it, I’ll play. The OP said he was after “beer, red wine, good food and wandering round seeing the sights.”
    Beer – Loads of great pubs and 1 bar that has over 400 beers available.
    Red wine – Great bars, serving some brilliant wine. There’s also a truly brilliant wine merchant that has some serious wine to taste.
    Food – 4 Michelin stars and a wonderful selection of other options from great burgers to sushi to whatever else you fancy
    Sights – Hell yes, great art, old building, modern stuff, all catered for.

So yes, as Binners says, Brum, it’s the way forward.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Nice cities what I have been to-

Lisbon (similar to Barcelona)
    Bratislava (different but also really good fun, and very cheap- you’d think it’d be a bit naff but it was a highlight of our trip)
    Paris
    Geneva

Not nice cities what I have been to-

Munich (people are rude, it’s grey and not especially interesting)
    Vienna (perhaps the worst European city I’ve been to. Rude people, dirty, expensive. Some people love it but about as many hate it. The only place we’ve left early on a holiday).
    Dublin
    Bordeaux

avdave2

I’ve been to most of the places recommended so far and a lot more besides through work and to this day the place that exceeded expectations above all others was actually Birmingham. It did have the advantage of starting from a very low expectation however. 🙂

huws
    Free Member

Gothenburg, exceptional beers. Loved it.
    Porto, exceptional wines. Loved it.
    Bergan, rainy. Haven’t been yet but expect I’ll love it when I eventually do.

perchypanther
    Free Member

NOT Naples. Just don’t OK?

avdave2

Porto, exceptional wines. Loved it

And my favourite bridge 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘European "city break" destinations in March’ is closed to new replies.