Viewing 40 posts - 33,521 through 33,560 (of 77,140 total)
  • EU Referendum – are you in or out?
  • mikewsmith
    Free Member

and just say that we can only deal with what we can control and what is in front of us. I can’t do anything about the Irish border. I will leave that to those who are better qualified

Right so does that mean if people have done all their homework and prep they can have some opinions on the shit show of a government and its failings?

As for blinking first I’d say May, right when the knife hits her back, followed by Borris realising he’s not PM then the collective sigh as a GE is called again.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

People can have whatever opinions they like (apart from the recently eliminated obviously)

It’s up to them if they want to act on then too

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Ministers have discussed the possibility of a transition deal with the EU of up to two years, a Cabinet source has told BBC News.
    Prime Minister Theresa May is also expected to make an “open and generous” cash offer to the rest of the EU in a bid to unblock Brexit talks.
    She will announce the details in a speech in Italy on Friday.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-41342580
    Well if she is going to start buying friends with cash again just before conference season then it’s going to be a riot in there.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Why?

We know there needs to be a transition
    We have committed to settling out obligations

Tories may be a mixed up bunch, but none of that is surprising

mikewsmith
    Free Member

That isn’t settling the obligations that’s a bung before 2020, the settlement still needs to be agreed.
    Given the swivel eyed loon side of the party who firmly believe that the EU should be paying the UK to leave etc. writing cheques will upset them greatly.

thecaptain
    Free Member

No, actually there needs to be no transition. You’ll work it out eventually.

(alternatively, you can have your transition when I’ve got my unicorn)

theotherjonv

I will leave that to those who are better qualified

I’d happily go with that, if only I’d seen some evidence, a soupcon of a plan, or had some prior confidence in the people that are doing it.

But we’ve got the Brexit Bulldog and an idiot from Eton and a plan that basically consists of some colours and a catchphrase.

I’m positively shitting myself with anticipation about how great it’ll be once we’ve left it to the ‘better qualified’.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I read as many of the parliamentary briefings on this topic as I can – the joys of commuting – and they tell me that there are plenty of experts with plenty on expertise working be advising on all aspects of Brexshit

You just have to step away from the obsessive focus on the Brexshiteers. Contrary to what many believe, they are not in real control

thecaptain
    Free Member

I wish I had your pollyanna-ish faith THM. Do you have any feeling for when the solution to the Irish problem will make its long-awaited appearance? With all these geniuses working on it, it surely can’t be long now….

tick tock

mattjg
    Free Member

and a plan that basically consists of some colours and a catchphrase.

today’s winner.

mattjg
    Free Member

It’s gonna be fine guys, I found a hi-tech UK made product the world is begging for.

cchris2lou

Quite easy to get on with it when you can.

A lot harder when you have no choice in the matter.

sobriety
    Free Member

I read as many of the parliamentary briefings on this topic as I can – the joys of commuting – and they tell me that there are plenty of experts with plenty on expertise working be advising on all aspects of Brexshit

This relies on the muppets in charge actually listening to them, given their track record, I’m not holding out much hope.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Well I thought I was the biggest cynic re politicians on STW. I was obviously wrong (although this could be the anti Tory bias)

CPn – there is no simple solution, so I have no ST expectations. I merely note the reason why the EU make this a prerequisite for moving on. As subtle as a brick.

aracer
    Free Member

Experts? We’ve had enough of them.

aracer
    Free Member

The reason you think. Maybe the EU realise that it’s an issue which has to be solved in order for Brexit to happen and that it’s utterly pointless wasting time discussing anything else if there isn’t going to be a solution…

mrmo
    Free Member

merely note the reason why the EU make this a prerequisite for moving on.

Maybe because the EU/Ireland consider the GFA to be of some importance unlike the Little Englander kippers who frankly don’t care and want to go back the bad old days.

GEDA
    Free Member

Not sure if has been said already but was not the biggest mistake of the government and Brexit to trigger article 50 and start the clock ticking without a plan agreed by both sides as to what was going to be the deal? It seems to be totally and utterly bonkers for them to start a ticking clock triggering a procedure “article 50” that seems to be 100% in the EU’s favour. The simple fact that you cannot negotiate new trade deals in the transition but loose all the existing ones when exiting is a bit of a arm lock.

Were the people in charge actually thinking at all about how this might pan out?

I know they would be pressured to doing something about Brexit by those that support it but it seems it would have been better for the UK if the UK government had used it as a threat and obstructed EU working within the structures to get some kind of plan together before triggering it.

I suppose triggering Article 50 locked the UK into leaving but they could have been a bit more patient and not made a dogs dinner of the whole thing. Maybe the dogs dinner was inevitable.

Junkyard
    Free Member

was not the biggest mistake of the government and Brexit to trigger article 50 and start the clock ticking without a plan agreed by both sides as to what was going to be the deal?

the EU refused to negotiate till it was triggered so the UK govt had little choice on this outcome.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Good job old Jezza was not in charge. He was in even more of a rush

aracer
    Free Member

They could always have worked out what they wanted, how they were going to negotiate and put in place the required resources (or made sure they actually had some) first though, rather than waiting until after A50. Maybe coming up with solutions to the little problems which were otherwise likely to block progress could have been a good idea too…

mrmo
    Free Member

the EU refused to negotiate till it was triggered so the UK govt had little choice on this outcome.

Thats fine, but what was the UKs negotiating positioning going into the talks? Why is there still no single narrative from the UK.

Yes it would been impossible to get everything, but to get anything you want it helps to set out what it is you want, oh, and to make those wishes remotely tenable.

And certain obvious issues, such as NI should have been nailed down long before A50 was triggered.

GEDA
    Free Member

But the UK could have refused to do other things to stop the eu working it would have been better than what is happening now.

mrmo
    Free Member

But the UK could have refused to do other things to stop the eu working it would have been better than what is happening now.

Depending on what you mean , there are means where by the EU could expel a member and when that member already said they were going… It would have been even messier though.

kimbers

Amusing number of brexies sputtering in anger on BBC HYS betrayed by May- (she’s a secret remoaner saboteur !!)

Unbelievably they still believe the Tory brexies lie that we can just leave with no deal & British vigour & rigour (mortis?) will see us through…. .

20bn is just the downpayment too, will the gov ever admit to the final bill & continued liabilities ?

No wonder Jambs did a runner

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Anyone read Barnier’s press release today? 😀

Longest cabinet meeting since the UK fell off the ERM.

mrmo
    Free Member

20bn is just the downpayment too, will the gov ever admit to the final bill & continued liabilities ?

Interesting to see how they won’t, surely it would have to be published in the annual budget? Whilst it may not be headlined by them, i am sure the press would seek the numbers out. Further freedom of information request, on what grounds would they be refused?

dannyh
    Free Member

teamhurtmore – Member
    Good job old Jezza was not in charge. He was in even more of a rush

POSTED 52 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

Again, totally missing the point. It’s not a party political issue that Brexit is a really, really shit idea and should be reversed. It’s Cameron’s fault for causing all this and both the Tories and Labour now being craven to an advisory vote that went the way it did through a combination of gullibility, crass stupidity, insularity, racism and ingratitude.

Henceforth I will never, ever vote for any party that endorses this madness.

No wonder Jambs did a runner

Eventually even the fanatics will have to face reality.

mrmo
    Free Member

So i guess the question is what does she want, less than Norway and more than Canada.

As Norway isn’t part of the Customs Union that could be an issue, basically creates a hard border in Ireland and also in Dover, basically screwing import/export death by red tape, breaches the GFA etc. Also doesn’t want to be in the single market which again Norway is party to.

Just to keep the Kippers happy and ban immigrants, wonder what the plan is re pensioners in Spain et al?

kimbers

I thought we were getting cake & unicorns?

thecaptain
    Free Member

Well done THM, when all else fails you can always fall back on “labour would be worse”.

Well, so what? How is that a solution to anything?

When faced with a shit sandwich, do you just say “at least it’s not got a dead rat in it too” and chow down?

thecaptain
    Free Member

mrmo, its more like she wants more benefits than both Norway and Canada, but less costs than either.

binners

Given that Theresa May is utterly spineless, and that we’re all effectively hostages to the bunfight at the top of the Tory party, I fully expect her statement tomorrow will be the same vague, vacuous sound-bite-heavy meaningless ‘cake and eat it’ drivel as all her previous contributions

I’m sure that I’ll listen to/watch it while muttering “oh FFS?!”. I imagine I won’t be alone in that

Anyone heard anything from the Labour Party recently? Just out of interest? Have I missed anything?

kimbers

Anyone heard anything from the Labour Party recently? Just out of interest? Have I missed anything?

WTF would they want to be associated with the shitshow that’s Brexit?

Corbyn was canny enough to keep it ambiguous during the GE,

he’d be wise just to let the Tories face the consequences of the Brexiters lies.

dannyh
    Free Member

thecaptain – Member
    Well done THM, when all else fails you can always fall back on “labour would be worse”.

Well, so what? How is that a solution to anything?

When faced with a shit sandwich, do you just say “at least it’s not got a dead rat in it too” and chow down?

POSTED 20 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

Precisely.

Cue another “you’re just a bunch of cynical, naysaying wreckers” flounce with an exhortation to “get on with it”.

<Yawns, checks watch….. yep, still going>

Tick, tock, tick, tock.

Oh look, here comes Boris with the big print guide to bomb disposal.

Farce, farce, farce.

Sandwich

I thought we were getting cake & unicorns?

Whoa, I go to NEC for the bike show and someone adds cake to the bung. That MK1 unicorn needs work Mike!

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Again, totally missing the point. It’s not a party political issue that Brexit is a really, really shit idea and should be reversed.

Tell that to the marines

It’s Cameron’s fault for causing all this and both the Tories and Labour now being craven to an advisory vote that went the way it did through a combination of gullibility, crass stupidity, insularity, racism and ingratitude.

It’s always someone else’s fault isnt it?? Moan, moan, moan

DD they had read 5k words of TMs speech – that’s 1k more than Boris’ nonsense (that took me three efforts) – and then “agree” 😉 I am surprised they are still not there.

Barniers hard tone was balanced by soft stuff form France and Belgium. It’s nonsense to suggest that hey are not scared of brexshit too

Also great Swedish cartoon today which would make Jambas, ninfan and that other bloke happy. To late now that they have been silenced

mt
    Free Member

@kimbers. What’s wrong with cake? Not sure about unicorns, could they be used in a Tesco burger?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

WTF would they want to be associated with the shitshow that’s Brexit?

Who knows he may be the one executing brexshit. At least he is a genuine leaver unlike May

dannyh
    Free Member

Also great Swedish cartoon today which would make Jambas, ninfan and that other bloke happy. To late now that they have been silenced

I don’t understand. Jamby is posting on other threads, so he hasn’t been ‘silenced’.

What a curious thing to say.

THM. Have you seen anything at all so far in the ‘negotiations’ to suggest that the U.K. is going to be better off or at least the same after Brexit?

If the answer is ‘yes’, please state what it is.

Otherwise, why the **** should I be happy with this shambles?

Viewing 40 posts - 33,521 through 33,560 (of 77,140 total)

The topic ‘EU Referendum – are you in or out?’ is closed to new replies.