• This topic has 58 replies, 37 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by iainc.
Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • Estate boot size
  • thebunk

Mk1 Zafira can fit (at least) two in with both wheels still on. Plenty of room, and you can easily sleep in it.

As a car, they’re dreadful, but hey ho.

andyl
    Free Member

T4? Caddy? Golf Plus? they are a bit higher than a normal Golf.

GolfChick
    Free Member

Yeah i was toying with a caddy actually but the mpg is pretty awful, I think if I’ve any hope of getting the bike in occasionally like I want then it’ll be a touran. Cheers guys!

andyl
    Free Member

Someone on here mentioned their Touran felt like it was build down to a price the other day (think it was in the Tiguan thread). Might be just because it has more hard plastics so it can stand up to family life though so not a bad thing with a dog, bike etc going in.

Ford C-max and grand c-max are similar in size too and might be worth a look, especially for handling. No VW badge though.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Wanna have a word with my missus one woman to another? Trying to sell her on a Touran or similar but falling on deaf ears, I might just get away with an S-Max if I play it right…

matt_outandabout

That was me speaking of it being less well built than the preceding car – A 1999 Passat. It just was not the massiely solid car I was expecting, post Passat and post a cheap to fix and didn’t really go wrong Cordoba estate.

It was a pain in the arse, constant niggly repairs and high cost to fix.

Having said that, it is practical and it is efficient and it is comfy.

golflass – Do not get too het up on mpg. The cost of maintaining the Touran dwarfed driving a less efficient car. I would say the same for depreciation. I currently drive a Galaxy – that gets 35mpg if I am lucky on a long run, despite it being claimed to do 53mpg…

jambalaya
    Free Member

@maxtorque all the Yeti threads here describe them as reverse Tardis’s ie big on the outside small on the inside.

OP as suggested earlier the people carriers with removable seats are probably the most flexible and they have the height t fit the bikes in easily. Toiran is a mini/modern version of the same. Depending on your budget you’d get a bike in upright in the older shape Rav4’s as they had removable seats. Not sure they are long enough to sleep in though. You can get decent ones for £5-£10k

Northwind

We’ve got a yeti as a security vehicle, I’ve used it a couple of times for work and it’s not exactly that it’s small, it’s just that it’s big like a wardrobe not like a shed. So it’s fine for stacking things in etc but it’s not the right shape for bike use imo

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

The best way to do it is put the bike in upside down, back wheel first, with seat lowered as far as it’ll go.

The bike will stand up a lot better with the triangulation of the handlebars and saddle.

Depending on the bike, you may have to compress the forks to squeeze em in, but in so doing, when they extend to the roof, it’ll further help secure the bike.

Saves all the hassle with chainrings and mechs that everyone has been mentioning.

Worked for me in all sorts of estates, with all sorts of bikes… unless you have a full downhill rig, you should be golden.

scotroutes

I used to manage a couple of bikes, upside down, front wheel off and seatpost out inside a Honda Civic. The “tip-forward” seats give you lots of depth.

stumpy01

I made a ‘stand’ for my bike so I can get it upright in the back of the car if needed.
    But, my car is small (Ibiza) so I have to take both wheels off and the seatpost out. Part of the problem with my car is the fairly high boot lip that gets in the way as you slide the bike in.

I imagine most estates with both wheels off, you could keep the saddle in (just lower it) and slide the bike in.

I use wheel bags to stop things getting scratched up and from the tyres spreading mud everywhere.

Here’s some pics. It was supposed to be a quick mock-up to see if it worked, but it must be about 6 years old now! Well, the FSR in the pics has been disassembled since 2010….

nedrapier

Mondeo is the best choice for long, wide, flat boot and front wheel/saddle off, upright bike carraige. IMO, obvs.

We’re on our 2nd. We bought the first for precisely the same reasons – space, bikes, sleeping in as an option. We regularly get the bikes in the back and that’s how we do it. 120mm forks on a 29er no problem. 2 fit in on the small split, 3 or 4 on the large split (if 4, then a minute with the pedal spanner is worth it to save jiggling aggro)

When the 1st one died at 180,000 miles, we went to CarGiant and looked at all the big estates going, and bought another Mondeo. Lots are smaller and those that are comparable don’t make use of the space as well as the Mondeo – floor that’s not flat (octavia), sloping roof/tailgate (audis), narrow between the arches (passat, honda).

Looked at the SMax, but I think the load length with seats folded/out is shorter. Also, the tyres are expensive and some of the versatility comes from removing, rather than folding the seats. Drive to France with 3 and bikes in the Mondeo, you can un-pack, unfold the seats and take 5 on a trip to town. trickier in the Smacks.

iainc

Big comfy estate here (company car 5 diesel) however bikes are usually on 3 Thule 591 roof carriers. It is so much less faff, less mud inside. Economy suffers a bit I guess and security wise never leave unattended. Often loaded up with kids etc. If its just me I’ll put road bike or track bike in back with seats down, on side, fully assembled. Rarely do that with a mtb due mess.

renton
    Free Member

Nedrapier. How do you manage that then. Have you seen my pics on the first page.

I struggle to get my 27.5 in.

nedrapier

I was confused with yours to be honest! I think the top edge is lower than the main roof, so some angling is needed.

Just had another look at yours – turn the bars! You can have the bikes at a slight angle then if they’re a bit tall. secure with a tie down strap to one of the luggage tie down points and the jesus handle.

You’ll still have a trickier job than me – you’ve got higher rise bars, more travel and probably a bigger head tube too.

rkk01
    Free Member

Looks like our company car scheme is going to be phased out as existing leases expire – will be on the lookout for a bike / kid / dog / kayak friendly estate / people carrier / van at some point in 2015…

Mondeo or SMax both on the possibles list

turboferret

With my 2012 Passat, and HT 29er, or FS 26er, front wheel off and seat-post removed and upright. A rubber band from the rear-seat grab-handle around the stem keeps them nice and vertical.

Cheers, Rich

ciderinsport
    Free Member

Peugeot partner tepee?

Here’s mine with 4 fat bikes in, just the front wheels off!

2 bikes go in whole, at an angle no problem. I’ve had 3 fatbikes and 3 fat blokes in it at the same time – the 3 rear seats are individually removable, and that helps with the flexibility!

iainc

rkk01 – Member
    Looks like our company car scheme is going to be phased out as existing leases expire – will be on the lookout for a bike / kid / dog / kayak friendly estate / people carrier / van at some point in 2015…

Mondeo or SMax both on the possibles list

Indeed, thankfully mine has 2 yrs left….

Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Estate boot size’ is closed to new replies.