• This topic has 58 replies, 37 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by iainc.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • Estate boot size
  • GolfChick
    Free Member

I’ve been told a mondeo estate can fit a bike upright with the front wheel off and being as I’m shopping for a new car and this is something I’d like I was wondering if we knew which other estates this could be done with? I’d also like the boot floor to be completely flat when the seats are down so that I can sleep in the back. Cheers!

fadda

Not sure if it would feature for you, GC, but I bought a people carrier with the same motivation, and it’s brilliant. Seats out and you can wheel the bike in (I just have to drop the saddle a touch on my large 29er), seats in and I can take my son and 5 of his mates to footie or wherever. Drives like a “normal” car, too

You do need to be careful which one you get though – I made an expensive mistake with the Galaxy I bought first…

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I doubt I it. I’ve got an SMax which is based On a Mondy estate, and with the internal racks I can fit two bikes in the back upright removing the front wheeks and pushing the saddles down on the dropper, and then it’s an only just sneezes in with an inch or two to spare. They are medium 29er full suss AM bikes. Maybe a couple of hardtails with seat stems removed might squeeze in. The back end of an SMax is a lot taller than an SMax even though you lose some space on the floor due to the fold away 6th and 7th seats.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Oh, as far as sleeping goes I could easily stretch out in the SMax, I’m 175cm / 5’9″, so you should be able to in a Mondy estate.

cultsdave
    Free Member

In my Focus estate I can fit the bike in upside down with both wheels off. Don’t think it would fit with rear wheel on though. The Mondeo’s boot is bigger but not much if any taller. The good thing is both of them don’t have a lip so its easy to slide things in and out.

boriselbrus
    Free Member

Toyota avensis does what you want. Bike in with front wheel off and seat post out. Floor is flat and 1.9m long.

chrischim
    Free Member

Merc E estate will fit bikes upright with front wheels off and saddles down. If you take both wheels off one will go in the boot with the seats up and load cover over if you need to leave a bike in the car overnight.
    Lots of space for sleeping as well although a tent is probably more comfortable than a car.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Passats, certainly up to 2005, fit the description. With just one bike in, there’s room enough to sleep alongside, too.

nickdavies

Pretty much any estate with a fold flat load bay and not a too sloping roofline will work.
    New Passats don’t iirc, Octavia does, Astra, focus, mondeo all work.
    Hyundai i40 doesn’t. Octavia needs an optional raiser to get a fold flat load bay.

Bear in mind it’s trickier with a remote dropper, seat post normally needs to come out or its both wheels off.

Tracey

C4 Grand Picasso ticks all them boxes. We were looking for the same in 2007. You can even drop the seats individually. Loads of room to get a bike in and sleep along side of it. Looked around again in 2011 and couldn’t find enything to do the job better without buying a van so bought another. Did the same two weeks ago and again couldn’t find anything as versitile. Bought a third and since the first have done over 200,000 trouble free miles. Also has 20,000 intervals between servicing. All been 2.0 ltr diesel automatics.

renton
    Free Member

I will check later but I’m pretty sure I can’t do that with my mondeo.

Moses

Peugeot 308SW does this – it’s got a fairly high roof line.
    Coincidentally, I want to sell mine 😉

spooky_b329

I had a Mk.3 mondeo and it was a bit tight to put a bike in as you describe. Boots are generally good at hiding wear and tear but roof linings are not and it doesn’t take much to make them tatty.

You also run into issues with the fork legs dragging back and forth over the lowered rear seats or slipping over the edge, having to drop the saddle, and bikes moving and the bars hitting the windows or just rattling against the glass.

A thick sheet and the bike laid in one above the other was easier and quicker.

Bikes in upright and sleeping space…you should get something like a Transit Connect!

maxtorque

Surely you have to get a T5 with your nickname?? #dubbers 😉

Northwind

My bikes won’t go in my mk3 like that but it’ll depend on the bikes I’m sure. They just need a slight tilt to go in.

But it’ll take 2 complete, big bikes without even the wheels out. It’s not a very good idea, they’re much easier to maneuvre with the front wheel out.

(I decided one time to see how many bikes the thing can hold with just the front wheels off. Ran out of bikes at 6.)

crazy-legs

What spooky said ^^.
    My bikes never fitted in upright without taking both wheels off and then you end up with the exposed chainring causing damage.

Best way I’ve found is just one bike in on it’s left side front end in first, thick sheet over and next bike in on it’s left, rear end in first. Depending on the bike you sometimes need to drop the front wheel out of the second one.

I’ve slept in the back of both my old Mondeo and my current Vectra (58 reg), it’s got a completely flat boot and also no boot sill – look out for estates that have a big lip or sill round the boot cos it makes loading anything a total pain.

Greybeard
    Free Member

I can easily get 3 bikes in the back of a Mk 1 Focus, upside down, front wheel off all, back wheels off two and either back wheel or seat post off the other, depending on the size of the bike. With somebody sitting in the 1/3 split seat.

GolfChick
    Free Member

Yeah I did have a t5 transporter but that went along with the relationship. That’s what a shared car household does sometimes *shrugs*

Ideally want to be able to have the bike in stood upright as Ziva has to fit in alongside it with the back seats down. Octavia estate is winning atm, surprised a newer passat won’t fit them like this. The ford s max is a consideration but it’s a ford haha

GolfChick
    Free Member

Double post

kayak23

Berlingo.
    The greatest car ever made.

renton
    Free Member

Ok here you go. Sorry for the rubbish photos.

I managed it but it’s very tight. If you have a bike with a tall front end it may not go unless you dump the air out of the fork. Also if you can’t put the seat post all the way down like some dropper posts then you may struggle with that too.

You have to put it in at an angle to as shown in the last picture.

For your info that’s a large giant trance with 150mm 27.5forks and 30mm rise bars.

Tracey

Use to get Kevins SX Trail in Grand Picasso with 180mm Forks and just the front wheel off. We can get three in along side each other with 160mm forks and still use the third seat or one bike and Fins dog cage. Its like a Tardis inside.

GolfChick
    Free Member

wow thats seriously tight, cheers for that. maybe back to drawing board of it not being easy or getting something in-between like the touran and smax

renton
    Free Member

I had an smax previous to the Mondeo. Bikes would fit in that a piece of pee.

Tracey

I’d take the bike with me and try it before you buy. We did that when we were first looking. Tried the SX Trail in a S Max at the Ford garage in Sheffield and it didn’t fit. Salesman said we had the wrong type of bike for that car after he scatched his head for a bit. He was convinced that it would fit as the brochure showed a bike in the back of one

P-Jay
    Free Member

Accord won’t do it, the roof is too low – BUT it will swallow a DH whole, both wheels on if you lay it on its side.

The ‘trick’ for keeping them upright is to tuck the forks behind the front seats – you may have to remove headrests to do it though and it will depend how much you like your car as to how much dirt you’ll put up with.

One thing I’m sure of the boot in an Audi B7 / Seat Exeo estate it tiny, better shape than the boot in the saloon, but actually smaller. I gave up trying to carry bikes in there and got roof bars.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

For an SMax you have to either drop your saddle on a dropper or remove the seat post. If you’ve n XL frame you might struggle. A galaxy might have a bit more headroom in the back than the SMax as the back end is a bit taller and boxier.

To be fair thought it is a useful feature due to security, I tend not to use it. Its a bit of a PITA, you inevitably get muck inside the car no matter how hard you try to avoid it, and whatever mud or muck is on your bike after your ride you get the pleasure of its aroma on the journey back. I’ll use it for post work rides for security while the car is in the car park during the day, but after the ride it goes on the roof on the Thule 591. It is definitely nothing like ‘chucking the bike in the back of a van’.

spooky_b329

I decided one time to see how many bikes the thing can hold with just the front wheels off. Ran out of bikes at 6

I got four bikes in the boot sideways and laid down with the rear seats up, all wheels off and stacked on top. I used releasable zip ties to hold the rear mech forward against the chainstay (which is quick and I do it whenever I put bikes in a bike bag too) but a couple I had to unbolt the mechs to save them from damage.

Add 4 adults and a roofbox, road trip 🙂

butcher

Will depend on the bike as much as the car. Have to wind my fork down to 90mm before I can squeeze it in mine.

costello
    Free Member

my vauxhall signum seats fold flat,bike goes in complete on its side with the fork compressed to 120mm,..mines for sale if you want 😉

singletrackmind

Anyone tried this with a Subaru Legacy or Outback ?
    Neither economical , but if the primary criteria is capacity then maybe one of these would do?
    Volvo V70 would get you a 6ft flat sleeping area , but roof line is too low for upright storage.
    What about one of those god awful looking pretend people carrier Nissan Tino, Seat did one as well.
    VW Sharon no good ?

GolfChick
    Free Member

the Sharan is very similar to the galaxy and not fantastic mpg which is also a criteria, I might have a look at a touran tomorrow. I think my list of requirements is impossible and Ill have to cave on something!

maxtorque

What about a Yeti? They look tall?

Scamper
    Free Member

If looking at a sharan, what about the identical Alhambra?

Just about to get a grand Picasso. As mentioned above, plenty of room and with the seats forward the boot is almost as big as a sharan/Alhambra. Find people carriers tend to have deeper boots too rather than shallow offerings ie Passat.

matt_outandabout

Touran – you can get bikes in sans front wheel (we had for years).
    Alternatively, you can have the cave on wheels that is the Galaxy – we can fit a bike without front wheel across the boot, with middle row of seats still up:

squirrelking
    Free Member

Yeti’s are tiny inside though, I’d be surprised if you could fit a bike in as described (=given my old man rejected it for ferrying around a wolfhound which is still smaller than a bike.

Never tried it with the Leggy or Outback but IIRC it was doable in the Forester (this was some time ago with a DH HT and latterly a Norco Shore which is probably as big as big gets without being a Brooklyn).

What’s the problem with removing saddles BTW? There seems to be a massive aversion to it as if it’s the most difficult thing in the world 😕

cakefacesmallblock

Removing saddles can be a pain in the arse with dropper posts and cables.

Even in big estate cars ( I ve always had then as company cars, mostly to sleep in and carry windsurfing kit in years gone by) , leaving the back wheel in can give ‘issues’ with headlining damage.

I’m lucky to have the Superb ( company car for work ) and a T5, but am toying with buying a Caddy as a bit of a project to see how viable a bed / bike carrying set up could be in that.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Ah, I’ll go back to 2005 then…

andyl
    Free Member

Take the back wheel off too and knock up something like a lower “Andy Stand” or fake small rear weel to keep the rear mech out of harms way.

Dropping the dropper post helps too.

I can fit by bike across the back of the rear seats with both wheels off (tied to head rests) and wheels propped up at the sides of the boot. Dog goes on rear seat though if anything with sharp bits is in the boot. A slacker 650b FS might need a wider car to do that though.

timber

Pretty sure I got bikes into my Mk3 Mondeo upright with just the front wheel off, bit tricky when forks were over 150mm travel.
    It was of an age/mileage where I wasn’t too concerned about the interior.
    5 bikes and 5 riders was common and easy enough.

Wouldn’t have slept in mine, it was bloody filthy.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Estate boot size’ is closed to new replies.