Viewing 23 posts - 81 through 103 (of 103 total)
  • Erlestoke 12 who's in?
  • I didn’t do any endurance events in 2013, so this was my first 12 hour solo for well over a year.
    I started out on the Qoroz belt drive Rohloff, but after the belt jumped off on my third lap, I swapped to my single speed Lynskey, only managing another four laps before retiring at about 10pm as I doubted my ability to finish another lap in under two hours.

The tracks that SpamBiking use really do make the best courses that I have ever raced on. They are not purpose built and surfaced trails though, so when it rains it means more pushing than riding for me.

Thanks to all the marshals, especially those who were mucking in by helping riders drag their bikes up a couple of the steep climbs. It can’t have been much fun hanging around late at night in the rain.

My sub 9km/h race. 😳
    http://www.strava.com/activities/145248701
    http://www.strava.com/activities/145248681

gee
    Free Member

Hi

Given the rain the clagfest was inevitable. The trails were really fun though – it’s a fun course.

On the fatbike it was all rideable apart from the 2 steep sections out of the field into the fire road, so about 50 yards of a 7mile lap which, given the weather, would have been the case anywhere. I let some air out of the tyres after lap 1 and the grip was immense. It must have been 7ish psi. I was on Dillingers though – I think anything else apart from Nates would have struggled in that mud.

I think most of the fire road ended up attached to my bike. It looked like it had been pebbledashed. The bike didn’t clog up at all to the extent that it stopped the wheels going round, but it must have weighed about 40-50lbs at the end of the race. I could barely pick it up. Clean, it’s 26lbs…

Couple of things re the event – the entry info said there would be limited drinking water available. I needed to refill one drinks bottle prior to the start and asked 3 different people where the drinking water was and they all said there wasn’t any. The lack of results updates either on paper or via a PA was a shame as we had no idea where we were in relation to other racers. I had no support at this race so the only reason I thought I was winning was because I knew who to look out for. Having positions called as you come through the start is really useful when you’re on your own. A friend’d dad tried to find out the placings and time gaps during the race but I think he got a frosty reception.

Still, I’ll be back next year – this is definitely an event that should be bigger. It’s a really fun course – the final sections after the road climb were excellent.

GB

mikertroid
    Free Member

Results out!
    Quite pleased as came (just) in top third in my class (6h solo male).
    Not bad for an old duffer who didn’t get any sleep on Friday night.

Here’s to a dry one next year! Thanks to all once more!

gee
    Free Member

Massive thanks to all involved in making the event happen – putting up and taking down a race in those conditions is horrible.

gee
    Free Member

Where are the results mikertroid?

david47
    Free Member

Difficult to read results here http://www.ticktocktiming.co.uk/services.html
    See to be missing some red bull times as well…. Not sure as hard to read, you need you chip number…
    But once again, thanks loved the event 🙂

pete68
    Free Member

That just seems to be a entry list on the 12 and 6 hour “results”.,or am I looking at the wrong page?

Well, that’s cheered me up a bit.
    Looks like there were only 4 serious racers in the solo male category, so I managed to get 5th/28 simply by plodding on slowly after everyone else had retired.

Edit;
    Interesting to note that the top three solo riders all did 11 laps and were only beaten by two of the teams of 4. That’s some impressive riding.

david47
    Free Member

That just seems to be a entry list on the 12 and 6 hour “results”.,or am I looking at the wrong page?

it’s a tabbed excel spreadsheet, change the tab at the top 🙂

gee
    Free Member

I seem to have won session 3 of the red bull timed section and 2nd overall by 1 sec. Proof fat bikes are best.

DT78
    Free Member

I couldn’t actually ride section 3….!

First lap times on the 6hr solo seem odd. Is it +1hr for some reason? As if we set off at 12oclock with the 12hr riders?

gee
    Free Member

Yes I think that’s the problem.

njee20
    Free Member

it’s a tabbed excel spreadsheet, change the tab at the top [/quote]

They’re not in results order though even on the appropriate tab – 1/2/3 are marked, otherwise you’ve got to work out the times.

DT78
    Free Member

Does say provisional results so maybe they are still doing some data manipulation in the background. Anyways I seem to have come in 22/54 in the 6hr solo which is amazing considering I thought I was close to last with the amount of pushing involved. Seems I wasn’t the only one!

I’ve not registered a time for the 2nd red bull segment which isn’t right as I definitely rode it. Managed 56th put of 59 on segment 3. Seems I could push faster than a couple of people. I’m so proud 🙂

Edric64
    Free Member

Cant work out how to open it on my laptop!but as we were a team and told our category didn`t exist there is not much point looking anyway.

david47
    Free Member

Edric 64… Guess this it ?
    Earlestoke 6hr
    Race No Chip No Rider License # Team/Sponser Category Lap 1 Lap 2 Laps Complete
    215 AS00223 Chris Kelly Off Camber Team (3 max) Male (18+) 05:14:14,958 06:13:45,700 2 1
    215 AS00224 Mark Green Off Camber Team (3 max) Male (18+) 03:21:52,257 04:14:53,188 2
    215 AS00225 Andy Parsons Off Camber Team (3 max) Male (18+) 01:38:35,125 02:29:58,379 2
    213 AS00231 Oliver Childs Bike City T3 Team (3 max) Male (18+) 03:05:53,569 06:32:50,293 2 2
    213 AS00232 Edric Hobbs Bike City T3 Team (3 max) Male (18+) 02:02:31,921 05:34:52,652 2
    213 AS00233 Ian Chedgy Bike City T3 Team (3 max) Male (18+) 04:25:33,294 1

Take 1 hr off the first persons lap…
    Guess your team came second 🙂 or last 🙁 depending on glass half full or half empty;-)

Edric64
    Free Member

Cheers ! I cant make any sense of it though

david47
    Free Member

You went out first, did a lap in just over an hour,(taking an hour off your time, as that’s the elapsed time from the 12 hour start) then went out again for the teams 4th lap, in nearly 1 hour 10. You did two laps. From the line above yours, the extra number is the teams finishing place of 2nd.

pete68
    Free Member

Ok,my mistake on the results. Hopefully the full results will be a bit better laid out. My only criticism of the event is that a lot of riders,especially solos, have 2 bikes, so having the timing chip attached to the bike rather than the rider makes swapping over some what difficult. Also 2 number boards would be handy.

adsh
    Free Member

Great event awful weather. I brought wrong bike (bad workman blames tools) and gave up after 2.5 laps as I couldn’t even push (not enough mud clearance). I’d have been happy to continue bar that. If I’ve got a slight winge it’s that it was clearly a course for full muds and that could have been made a bit clearer? Had thought to bring spare bike but didn’t fancy leaving FS on bike carrier for 11hrs.

Edric64
    Free Member

Shows how crap their timing system is then my laps were way slower than the times they show me doing .My first lap was 1hr 12

pete68
    Free Member

Adsh, were you parked next to me? I was on the Orange Solaris.

c_klein87

had fun considering the mud! proved to myself i can MTFU when i have to! what a load of crap tick tock timing were though! how to make a simple task of timing and creating a race atmosphere so difficult! the results don’t make much sense without reformatting it completely. otherwise glad SPAM put on another good race

http://chris-noble-mtb.blogspot.co.uk

Viewing 23 posts - 81 through 103 (of 103 total)

The topic ‘Erlestoke 12 who's in?’ is closed to new replies.