Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 103 total)
  • Erlestoke 12 who's in?
  • pete68
    Free Member

Looking forward to this at the weekend after missing last year. The numbers are a bit disappointing though. Everyone seems to moan about the cost and poor course at Mayhem ,yet it still gets thousands of entrants. This is much cheaper,albeit only 12 hour and the course is better by miles. Don’t understand why.

frogstomp

Yup! 12 hour pairs for me.. Salsa Spearfish most likely.

Weather’s looking potentially interesting.. hopefully it’s just be showers to damp things down a bit.

Looking forward to it!
    8)

Clink

I did it last year – great singletrack/course, nice chilled atmosphere. I’ve not entered yet – waiting to see what the weather does…

david47
    Free Member

I’m in and can’t wait… Did Mayhem for the last two… And said never again…
    Watched a course video for this last year and it looks so much better than either of the Mayhems…
    But don’t mention the rain…

njee20
    Free Member

Considering doing the 6 hour as everyone says it’s a good event.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

I was planning on doing the 6h single speed but I can’t get time off this weekend 🙁

DT78
    Free Member

Maybe 12hr pairs, will make a decision on weds based on weather reports. Had my fair share of long races in bad weather. Not fun. If it is forecast just showers we,ll sign up

gee
    Free Member

6hr solo for me.

offthebrakes
    Free Member

Was hoping to go as I love the event, but I can’t get the logistics sorted in time for a Saturday midday start and a 12hr solo.

There’s always the 6hr, but then you miss out the night-riding, which is the best part. Last couple of years I’ve done the 6hr 6pm start, but they’ve scrapped that this year as only 5 of us raced it last time – shame.

Fantastic course, wish I was going!

composite
    Free Member

I entered ages ago and was down for the 12hour but a knee injury has ruled me out. I’m very disappointed, I had been looking forwards to this for a while. 😐

seanbolton
    Free Member

I am in the 6 hour pairs.

Weather is looking cool with potential showers, so hopefully it will be reasonable conditions.

MaxWall
    Free Member

Weather is looking decidedly mixed but with more than half the course in wooded singletrack(with plenty of room for over-taking) it should stay in good condition!

As one of the organisers of this event from its birth, I’ve never really understood why the numbers don’t increase more each year? Having said that with a high percentage of tight twisting singletrack 500+ riders would make it interesting in places!

There is a separate timed wooded section courtesy of Red Bull again this year, just a tad longer than last year with up and down hill included.

I might even get chance to race a lap or 2??

See you all there on Saturday!

DanW
    Free Member

I am doing the 6 hour solo purely to enjoy some nice singletrack and bimble round for a longer ride than I’ve ever done before. I’ve been getting 5 hour rides in for the past few months so just chugging round for 6 hours would be an achievement in itself for me. Certainly won’t be bothering Gee! 😀

No problem with a bit of rain as it’ll just get grippier. I was absolutely cooking last weekend so cooler weather would be appreciated if you can order it in please 😀

As one of the organisers of this event from its birth, I’ve never really understood why the numbers don’t increase more each year? Having said that with a high percentage of tight twisting singletrack 500+ riders would make it interesting in places!

Massive thank you for anyone who has organised the various SPAM events in the past. Very relaxed, very enjoyable and great courses. The small numbers and relaxed atmosphere are part of the attraction.

Do the Winter events still get 1000+ riders like they used to?

I’d imagine that the lack of advertising accounts for the smaller numbers. Other events are always in your face about when they are coming up (not necessarily a good thing but it gets the numbers in). Also, I think the SPAM events have a great reputation from anyone who’s done them but perhaps don’t have the reputation some of the other events do amongst people who haven’t done one… if that makes sense?

Really looking forward to it!

P.S> Shame that there will be no night riding in the 6 hour as originally planned. I guess it makes sense with people wanting to get home at a sensible time and I guess there’s lots who aren’t keen on night riding but it could have been a nice way to end

offthebrakes
    Free Member

As one of the organisers of this event from its birth, I’ve never really understood why the numbers don’t increase more each year?

Possibly due to it being bank holiday weekend, so many people have family commitments?

I know that Gorrick’s Torq 12:12 is on a B/H weekend too, and is very popular, but in that case it kicks off at noon on Sunday. So people have got the whole of Saturday to travel, get tents pitched and pits set up, pre-ride the course etc etc, and then have a relatively relaxed morning before the off?

Also, maybe a bit early in the season for a lot of soloists? In both 2012 and 2013 I felt I hadn’t really got enough big rides in through the endless grim winter to do a 12hr in May, whereas later in the year summer I had.

Don’t want to knock the event in any way though, done it 5 times and loved each one (in different ways!)

gary

Really enjoyed it when I did it a few years back and missed it the last couple of years because I had other things happening that clashed. Was all set to do it this year but Charlie’s little bash in Dorset caught my eye – this weekend seems to be full of events I’d like to do.

Hopefully I can have another bash at it next year!

c_klein87

6 hour solo for me, praying for dry weather! I like that its small, makes life easier. might take a spare mud bike

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

Finely Tuned Ride is holding a Cotic Demo day this Saturday at the Erlestoke12 for info go to; http://www.finelytunedride.co.uk/cotic-demo/

So more of a reason to come and race at Erlestoke, 😈

I’m in for 12 hour solo.
    I had an operation earlier this year, so my mileage dropped right down for a few months around that time.
    I’m back to normal now though, so I’m looking at this more a test to see if I’ve got my fitness back than as a serious attempt at racing.

Say hello if you see me. I’ll be the good looking chap in the Vegan Cyclists kit. 8)

andyv
    Free Member

12hr Singlespeed for me, my first event on SS. Did the 6 hour last year with gears going for the full 12 this year.

Well I say full 12, actual plan is to ride for 6ish hours, then have a BBQ with masses of meat, followed by acres of cake, and perhaps a splash of cider before putting in a night lap or two.

RobHilton
    Free Member

6 hr solo SS – I may regret…

pete68
    Free Member

As offthebrakes says, , I think it would be more popular if it was on the Sunday. A lot of people have other commitments on a Saturday. I forgot to say in my original post that I’m doing the 12 solo.

brassneck

It’s brilliant and was planning to be there, but my company 10K was plonked on the Sunday. Don’t fancy 12 hours then running. As more or less the only member of IT capable of running 10K I kind of have to attend 😀

Great event though, relaxed, a distinct lack of a-holes and a cracking, knackering course. Anyone thinking about it, who can, should go do it.

offthebrakes
    Free Member

Personally I loved it when it was Set2Rise, 6pm start left plenty of time to travel down and get set up, a few hours riding in the fading daylight, big chunk of night-riding, then the dawn laps and the finishing line!

But I can see how that would put off people who don’t often night-ride, or who don’t have enough battery-power for the whole thing, so I understand why it changed.

julianwilson
    Free Member

I have missed the last couple through it being the lad’s birthday and associated festivities. Which comes first of course, although I tell everyone else to get on and do it, it is still one of if not my favourite races ever. Well, the 6pm till 6am version was actually my favourite, though I realise why it was moved to more convetional hours.
    I think low riders-per-km also helps though, as does it not being very ‘corporate’ and the frankly excellent prizes-to-entrants-to-entry fee ratio. My favourite being that lad one year who won the 12hr solo singlespeed and could hardly walk to the podium let alone lift up his enormous prize. 😀
    Have a great race everyone!

adsh
    Free Member

Down for the 12hr solo though may change to the 6hr if very wet/muddy. Loved it last year.

missnotax
    Free Member

12 hour solo for me.

I have sent considerable time over the past few days wondering if I have bitten off a bit too much here!!

Please say Hello if you see me sobbing as I pedal around..!!

MaxWall
    Free Member

It’s always good to hear positive feedback for the event and the club, so thank you to all!

This year we have tried to add in some different things course wise but it sticks to what has always been best, cracking singletrack and a relaxed atmosphere.

A bit of rain wont do any harm as its dusty as hell out there!! 😉

pete68
    Free Member

Max wall, any reason why the events not on a Sunday? I know you get restrictions with army land so it could be that maybe.

MaxWall
    Free Member

Using MOD land is becoming more and more difficult yes, so much red tape and it changes each year so we stick with what know fits with them and us.

I think this year could be one of the best, it wont be too hot, some big names are registered for the event so that has to be good, as long as everyone has fun and no-one gets hurt then we all win.

The course is designed by us as a club and I think we do a fab job of providing what people want in a 12hr event. I myself preferred the old Set2Rise 6pm to 6am format but we went with feedback and changed it accordingly, having no need for lights in this years event we thought would appeal to a greater number of riders looking for a 6hr enduro.

singlecrack
    Free Member

I’m in ..was going to be SS class but now changing to Fat bike 12hr
    it’ll be slow and painful as I’ve not been on a bike for about 8 weeks

but will be helping AndyV eat and drink for 12hrs…

mikertroid
    Free Member

6 hour solo for me, am working all the previous night (Long Haul Pilot) and will come straight from work to the race.

Hope I don’t fall asleep half way round!

Might pack a set of mud tyres in case; it was as dry as I’ve seen it in ages at the weekend, hope it doesn’t get too slippy!

adsh
    Free Member

So HT or FS. I seem to remember Gee used his spearfish last year but also that it wasn’t very rooty or bumpy?

gee
    Free Member

Yes I was on the spearfish last year. It was a bit bumpy round the fields and not crazy hilly so I didn’t mind the extra weight. I may ride a hardtail this year if it rains.

DT78
    Free Member

Well, mate and I went for 6hr solos rather than 12hr pair. First solo race of this distance. Will be interesting!

grtracer
    Free Member

Not done this event before, so really looking forward to 12hr solo, fingers crossed for the weather!!

adsh
    Free Member

Weather looks wet – and warm – and sunny ie a nightmare to dress for. Hmmm Gabba?

c_klein87

gabba might be a bit toasty, i’m worrying about tyre course, and I never worry about tyres, but being a local I know it gets pretty claggy there in the rain…..

LoCo
    Free Member

may do a 6 hour solo if can get enough DIY done in the next few nights 😉

Dyffers
    Free Member

I’m signed up for the 12hr solo, but I’m DNSing in favour of Charlie’s Gravel Dash on Sunday.

The decision was made before the forecast for biblical amounts of rain on Saturday morning, honest 😕

gringojimi
    Free Member

Currently got Thunder Burts on my race bike… That might be a little interesting 😕

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 103 total)

The topic ‘Erlestoke 12 who's in?’ is closed to new replies.