Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Enigma – any owners out there?
  • thumbie
    Free Member

Looking at the Enigma range, particularly the Echo or Eclipse frames. Good reviews in the press but any forum opinions from owners or people who have ridden one.

TIA

drew

I've got an omega radius which probabley rides pretty much the same as its a Mark Reilly ti frame and I've got to say I think its the bees knees. Stiff, fast, comfortable and will pretty much last forever. I bought mine as a frame second hand but If you can afford it what's not to like.

GJP
    Free Member

There is a guy (JoB, I think) who has a couple – a steel elite and another, I assume a steel, single speed CX. The CX is on Enigma's site in the users bike's section. Not seen him post on here for a while though

A guy at work also has a steel elite with couplings. He speaks very highly of it he also has a Colnago C50 and a Van Nicholas so know a bit or two about bikes. Only complaint he had was that their lead times for custom are little on the long side – but that may not be an issue for a stock Ti geometry.

I don't have an Enigma but have two Omega's (Ti Alchemy and a carbon one) from what was then Mark Reily's own company. Two friends also have Omega Radix's I think which is in effect what evolved into the Echo. All of us are very happy with them – although to be fair for my friends these are their only serious road bikes.

I am looking for an excuse to buy one – but thinking more along the lines of a steel one. I am at that age 😆

GJP
    Free Member

Radius – rather than Radix thanks drew.

I would probably rather have had the all Ti Radius rather than the Ti/Carbon Alchemy – but at the time I got the higher model for a lower price than the Radius – so couldn't complain too much.

mathewshotbolt
    Free Member

i have the ego hardtail – love it

BigCol
    Free Member

I have a custom built Enigma Echo. I've been very pleased with it – it is easily the best handling and comfiest road bike I've ever owned, but still nice and stiff out the saddle. I descend on the road significantly faster on this bike than any of my others! (previously owned: Custom made raleigh Ti frame, custom graham weigh 853 frame, custom made Mercian 'king of mercia', carbon fibre look KG386 and specialized allez).

Both Mark and Jim were very helpful, mark certainly seems to know his stuff in terms of geometry / fit and handling. As above though – when I ordered mine the lead times for custom were a little on the long side (this was going back nearly 2 years), but then it was well worth the wait in the end!!

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

I have a slightly odd-ball prototype steel hardtail. Much like the Ego geometry I think. I love it. Much more stable than my old Klein Attitude going downhill, but still climbs just as well.. Can be placed accurately and chucked around equally as well. I grin like a loon when I ride it!

drew

I'll second BigCol on the handling. I'm probabley no where good enough to really put it to the test but I had somebody following me on a Trek on a fast, twisty , pedaly descent and they said that their bike just couldn't keep up because of the flex. Now it could have been the wheels as mine were campag neutron ultras compared to bontrager race lites but I've got to say the frame just feels absolutely rock solid on these occasions.

thumbie
    Free Member

Thanks fellas…praise indeed I think.

I had considered the steel custom route, but will have a chat with my LBS tomorrow who stocks Enigma frames & go from there.

Thanks again…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Enigma – any owners out there?’ is closed to new replies.