Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Energy drink for Hypoglycemic?
  • rickon
    Free Member

Hi chaps,

Does anyone here suffer from hypoglycemia? Essentially you have massive sugar crashes, which is exacerbated by simple sugars and carbs.

I’m wondering if there is such a drink on the market that would be suitable, and not cause sugar crashes.

Maltodextrin on its own, without fructose maybe?

Cheers

Ricks

Dibbs
    Free Member

Wouldn’t water be safer?

andyrm
    Free Member

I do – what I have found works best is a homebrew mix of 25% pure orange juice, the rest water and then a couple of tablespoons of normal sugar and a tablespoon of salt.

That’s in a 3 litre bladder.

Seems to work fine but I reckon it’s a case of test for yourself.

🙂

rickon
    Free Member

I’m thinking for longer rides, when you’re taking in carbs through your liquid.

The ideal option would probably be water, and then supplementing that with complex carbs and protien. The problem for me, at least, is that eating while riding usually gives me an upset stomach.

High5, Torq etc. are usually great, but after a certain amount of time I end up bonking from a sugar crash, so I need something to just maintain my levels a bit more stably.

rickon
    Free Member

couple of tablespoons of normal sugar

Blimey! That’d destroy me! After eating a Mars Bar I have a massive crash about 20 minutes later.

Oatcakes, Almonds and Apricots are my go-to food supply. But you can only eat so many Apricots before you really need the loo. And Oatcakes and Almonds are very dry, and not exactly easy to eat on their own.

thomthumb
    Free Member

would instant oats work?

http://www.myprotein.com/sports-nutrition/instant-oats/10529296.html

plain tastes like porrige on it’s own – i don’t mind it but slightly odd. haven’t tried flavoured.

rickon
    Free Member

Ah, is that actualy powder? That’d be spot on

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Energy drink for Hypoglycemic?’ is closed to new replies.