Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)
  • Enduro World Series Gossip
  • asherh
    Free Member

Barel caught with his helmet off. Peaty and Lopes not happy as it’s against the rules…

Would do wonders for my fantasy team if he was demoted!

chakaping
    Free Member

Rules is rules.

Would do wonders for my fantasy team if he was demoted!

Mine too, not that we should let that sway the judges. Much.

ads678

Seems a bit petty to me, but I suppose it’s different to just racing your mates!!!

Where did peaty come anyway?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    grum
    Free Member

Rules is rules.

The rules are pretty stupid though. Hasn’t he still ‘got a helmet on’ technically anyway?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

grum – Member
    Rules is rules.
    The rules are pretty stupid though. Hasn’t he still ‘got a helmet on’ technically anyway?

Not really, it’s fairly obvious.
    The rules seem quite sensible, you need to wear a lid while out on course riding. Probably for your own safety (not trying to open that can of worms)
    You sign on to the rules when you start. Lid not done up in DH and your out. The important thing about rules is to apply them across the board.

glupton1976
    Free Member

Petty.

svalgis
    Free Member

I agree that the rules are for everyone, and you can either follow them or face the consequences (or race another discipline if they don’t suit you).

I’m starting to get really fed up with social media and how everyone is using it though. Is Peaty twelve years old? Take it up with the organisers or shut up for **** sake.

grum
    Free Member

You sign on to the rules when you start. Lid not done up in DH and your out. The important thing about rules is to apply them across the board.

That’s for safety reasons. Having to wear a helmet (correctly) riding slowly up a fire road has nowt to do with safety.

honourablegeorge

svalgis – Member
    I agree that the rules are for everyone, and you can either follow them or face the consequences (or race another discipline if they don’t suit you).

I’m starting to get really fed up with social media and how everyone is using it though. Is Peaty twelve years old? Take it up with the organisers or shut up for **** sake.

His original tweet was directed at the organisers, to be fair. So he is taking it up with them, albeit via the modern equivalent of shouting his complaint at them across the main street.

GHill

The rules seem quite sensible, you need to wear a lid while out on course riding. Probably for your own safety

Could be related to event insurance too.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

That’s for safety reasons. Having to wear a helmet riding slowly up a fire road has nowt to do with safety.

So are you going to ride around and put up the “Helmet Zone” signs that specify when and where you need to, or specify that above x-kph you have to stop and put a lid on monitored by speed camera?
    How about wear a lid from A-B.

honourablegeorge

grum – Member

That’s for safety reasons. Having to wear a helmet (correctly) riding slowly up a fire road has nowt to do with safety.

Has everything to do with fairness though – lots of competitors suffered up the climbs in their full faces and/or carried XC lids, because they were told that helmets had to be worn at all times, and half wearing a helmet like Barel is doing in the pic was expressly forbidden.

vinnyeh

2 helmets are permitted, xc type during transfers – which having a time limit are really part of the race- and ff for the stages. Seems fair enough for me. Not aware of any other events where you’re allowed on the course without a helmet.

But as ghill says, probably an insurance requirement.

kudos100
    Free Member

Nothing wrong with pointing it out, but I’m not sure social media is the place to do it.

What do people think is a fair punishment? 10 second penalty?

Northwind

Hmm, when I saw the title I just naturally assumed some dude had been caught shortcutting :mrgreen:

Their rules are a bit weak tbh- the main series rules say “A helmet must be worn during competition”. So people were mumping about Dan Atherton being seen taking his off for a breather while standing still. In theory as long as you’re in the race you’re competing, so there’s got to be discretion or at least interpretation. And once you make a rule that needs discretion, you create arguments. I guess there’s also an event or region specific rule here on fullface as the series rules don’t discuss it.

I hate this “helmet all the time” **** personally especially when combined with fullface requirements (I might have considered a fullface for the UKGE but I’m not carrying around 2 helmets for the sake of being “protected” while riding up a fireroad or pushing up a swamp…) but these are the rules and it looks obviously against the spirit and the letter. He’s no enduro noob, he should know the script. But otoh, he is wearing a helmet and they don’t seem to have specificed all the usual “correctly fastened” stuff 😉

vinnyeh – Member

2 helmets are permitted, xc type during transfers

But you must wear a helmet while competing, so it’s illegal to change helmets 😉

michaelbowden

There is no Full Face requirement as far as I’m aware. I’ve done a couple of the Super Enduro events in Itay.

Most people carry a XC lid to use in the transfer stages, some people (inc Brian Lopes @ Sauze in 2011 using his pisspot) raced the stages in an open face.

legend
    Free Member

Crashing and landing on the XC lid you’ve strapped to your back must feel awesum! I would probably go full-face this weekend, but carrying two helmets puts me right off

Northwind

michaelbowden – Member

There is no Full Face requirement as far as I’m aware. I’ve done a couple of the Super Enduro events in Itay.

Hah, I’m a moron, I thought it was in France 😳

If that’s the case then it gets properly into the grey area, since it’s obviously safer to take a full face and not wear it on a fireroad climb, than it is to wear an open face all the time.

michaelbowden

michaelbowden – Member

Hah, I’m a moron, I thought it was in France

If that’s the case then it gets properly into the grey area, since it’s obviously safer to take a full face and not wear it on a fireroad climb, than it is to wear an open face all the time.

It may be they have changed the rules now that some of the Italian events have become part of the ‘World Series’.

ocrider

Wouldn’t the World Series rules trump the local ones?

5.4: Equipment Requirements

Safety Equipment
    All riders must wear a helmet during competition. The helmet should meet the regulations set by the EWS event organiser. The correct fitting, condition and suitability of the rider’s helmet is the sole responsibility of the rider.

Specific body protection and helmet requirements may also be stipulated at each event, in accordance with that territory’s national regulations. Any protection rules put in place by the EWS organiser must be followed by all competitors, no exceptions will be given.

So does that set the record straight concerning Barel?

BillOddie

Rules for Italian Super Enduro are as follows:
    9. EQUIPMENT
    •It is mandatory to wear a helmet during the whole duration of the race, both during the transfers as well as during the special stages.
    •While undertaking Special Stages (P.S.) it is mandatory to wear CE approved full-face crash helmet, gloves, knee-pads and back protector.
    • Contestants lacking a helmet at departure will be disqualified.
    •Two types of helmets are allowed. A lighter XC version helmet during the transfers and full face helmet during the special stages.

michaelbowden

Looks like the rules have been tightened up to include the FF and back protector.

scottfitz
    Free Member

Crashing and landing on the XC lid you’ve strapped to your back must feel awesum!

But if your wearing your mandatory back protector it shouldn’t be too bad.

andyrm
    Free Member

In all honesty, I’m a bit disappointed in Peaty doing this. Doesn’t come across the the professional, legend kind of behaviour you’d expect – more a petulant whiny forum dweller.

Fact is (and facts are all that matters)

A: Peaty was well off the pace so this is irrelevant
    B: Barel is wearing a helmet according to the rules so no infringements
    C: If the rules don’t say “must be fastened” they can’t enforce it
    D: Peaty should behave himself better in public and contact organisers directly, not be an online b*tchy teenager

I like the bloke and admire everything he’s done, just can’t help thinking he has let himself down a bit here.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Barel only carried a FF helmet it seems, and is not wearing it while riding in that pic, he’s merely carrying it on his head. That contravenes “It is mandatory to wear a helmet during the whole duration of the race, both during the transfers as well as during the special stages”

walleater

Barel is keeping his head (and as such, his body) significantly cooler by lifting his full face helmet up so I’d say it’s pretty unfair, as daft as that may sound. If anyone disagrees, try it! Riding up hill in a full face helmet is a pretty horrible experience.

wrecker
    Free Member

Barel ain’t wearing that helmet.

scruff
    Free Member

Good Morning Canada !

walleater

Good Afternoon West Midlands!

scottfitz
    Free Member

Urge must love that pic the only guy in the with an Enduro style helmet (Urge Archi-Enduro) is not wearing it. The others all have Full DH lids (as far as I can tell)

Gotama
    Free Member

Shame really, Peaty comes across as complete knob here. As above if he had an issue maybe mention it to the organiser, can’t imagine Barel will be too chuffed with this childish approach even if his interpretation of the rules was pushing the limits somewhat. Sure he can breathe easier with it perched but no better than wearing an xc lid. And would an xc lid that others swapped to really slow him down strapped to his pack on the descents 😕

Mention it to organiser, Fab gets told not to do it again, everyone happy. This way Fab gets told not to do it again and the rule is changed slightly, Peat and Lopes look like petty berks given they were so far off the pace anyway.

ddmonkey

“Barel caught with his helmet off. Peaty and Lopes not happy as it’s against the rules…” OR is it because he smoked them? I love the video clip of Barel chasing down Minaar and making him look like a Sunday driver 🙂

mrplow
    Free Member

Just as well Barel has a stake in URGE, he can give himself into trouble for marketing his own helmet as too hot. :mrgreen:

kudos100
    Free Member

Just seen this on Dirt:

http://dirt.mpora.com/featured/dirt-tv-world-enduro-series-punta-ala.html

Cannot wait to start racing some enduros!!

kudos100
    Free Member

“Barel caught with his helmet off. Peaty and Lopes not happy as it’s against the rules…” OR is it because he smoked them? I love the video clip of Barel chasing down Minaar and making him look like a Sunday driver

It’s great to see the ex world champ smashing the current world champ to bits.

scottfitz
    Free Member

It’s great to see the ex world champ smashing the current world champ to bits.

Yep

Cannot wait to start racing some enduros!!

http://www.rootsandrain.com/calendar/#!/2013/gb/sd/ 😉
    Will you be Smashing QECP? Pete recons he can take you. 😈

wrecker
    Free Member

I doubt Minaar is going to lose sleep over it. He’s likely to be in contention for the world DH series, and has had the upper hand over barel for a while it seems.
    http://www.rootsandrain.com/compare.html?i=11706×926

kudos100
    Free Member

Will you be Smashing QECP? Pete recons he can take you.

Just managed to get space in the last 20. Didn’t get one for forest of dean though.

Your doing it arn’t ya? Seem to remember you ditching all your team mates as soon as some of the DH boys showed up 😛

scottfitz
    Free Member

Yep doing FOD with original team ish, Me, Dave, Ewan & AliPaul
    Last time we raced I got the fastest times on our team, my guess is that will no longer be the case with Paul on our team he is a weapon!!

Should be good Not rode the AM bike for a while, Just the HT’s I will get the QE DH race out the way and start practicing.

kudos100
    Free Member

Nice side step their scotty 😆

Going to try and do the races at Swinley and Aston Hill. I’m hoping that next year there will be a load more enduro races.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘Enduro World Series Gossip’ is closed to new replies.