Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Endomondo – GPS – Android – App – Phone question
  • ChrisE
    Free Member

Anyone know of a way or an app that will keep the GPS on my phone turned off but will turn it on say every hour for just about a minute? I will be in the Alps next week for some long days and not guaranteed of charging every night too. I would like to run Endomundo and have it record say every hour so that friends in the UK can track us. The battery will normally only last about 5/6hours if the GPS is running.

I know I can turn most other things off, screen brightness down etc to save the battery

Ta
    Chris

ourkidsam
    Free Member

Juice Defender?

ChrisE
    Free Member

Nope Juicedefender doesn’t do it,

C

bikebouy
    Free Member

Nah, Juice Defender just turns of updaes and track signals etc. It can’t “turn Apps on/off” in a frequency timescale ie: 1x every hour.
    Seems liek a logical thing Endo could use as an addin in the Pro version though, log it with them.

verses

Not used it myself but this seems to be a swiss-army-knife of Android jiggery pokery and I think it should be able to do what you want;

Tasker

verses

Just found this alternative which is free, again I’ve no personal experience of it though;

AutomateIt

fogliettaz
    Free Member

Turn on the aircraft mode when using GPS and endomondo this will save loads of battery. The only downside is you cannot receive calls or emails.

coma2s
    Free Member

I think if you turn your gps on every hour using endo you will just end up with a straight line on the map from the last point your gps was logged

MrTall
    Free Member

My iphone4 lasts a good 6+ hours using endomondo.

I also bought one of those portable charge gizmo’s off ebay which was only around a fiver and can be plugged in to charge up the phone a bit while you have a mid ride break. If you buy a couple you could take some with you pre-charged to recharge your phone in the evenings and leave endo on for the whole ride?

clubber
    Free Member

Everytrail allows variable update frequency but I don’t know if it switches off GPS inbetween – the max is 10 minutes tho.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Why do you mates back home need to follow you ??

I guess you dont mind paying data roaming charges either….

ChrisE
    Free Member

The plan is to log say every hour, yes I know this will show lots of straight lines, and only upload to the www ever time I hit wireless which might be every couple of days.

My route is 700km though so even if it’s only every two days it’s fine

C

qwerty
    Free Member

what about using Latitude instead, it seems it does exactly what you want

stuartm555
    Free Member

How about just using cell triangulation rather than GPS? Not sure if Endomondo supports this – or whether there are enough mobile masts to give a decent position – but could be worth a look

Tasker could also be worth a look for turning GPS on and off every hour
    https://market.android.com/details?id=net.dinglisch.android.taskerm

druidh
    Free Member

ChrisE – Member

My route is 700km though so even if it’s only every two days it’s fineJust remember to switch it on twice??

Remember, every time you change position the GPS will take a minute or so to get its bearings.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Endomondo – GPS – Android – App – Phone question’ is closed to new replies.