Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Ending a cash thieving broadband contract and what to replace it with?
  • wonnyj
    Free Member

Ok so I've just done my time with a virgin broadband package, which was great to start with but then they talked me in to the freeview and phone line package, and now I'm ready to get rid of it all as I can't go back to the nice broadband only deal i had originally.

So I'm quitting my Virgin broadband but am now not sure what to replace it with. Any one got some recommendations, combining good speed ( >10Mbts ) and low cost ( £10 a month? )

PenrodPooch
    Free Member

Well its only 8mb but I get that and free calls from AOL for 6.99 a month. And you needn't use their software anymore so its a pretty good deal I think

davcow
    Free Member

Have a look at PlusNet good cheap packages. Can also do phone as well.

wonnyj
    Free Member

That sounds a lot more like it.

Currently paying £26 for 10mbts with freeview and phone line. Was paying £11.99 for broadband only originally.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Do you have Virgin / NTL line or a BT line?
    That will be the limiting factor as to what you can have, plus the speed of your broadband will depend how far you are from the exchange. TRy SamKnows to get a better idea of what you can expect to get from your current line.

R.lepecha

anything but wankwank (talktalk as you may know it) jut stay well away. we were with tiscali and it was greatt then they were bought out by the all mighty shitheap of talktalk. and its gone downhill.

Flaperon

Be – http://www.bethere.co.uk

You have to be on the right exchange but the speed is great and the customer service is exemplary.

wonnyj
    Free Member

sam knows loads.

I do have a virgin (previously ntl) line. But sam gives me the choice of the following:
    BT (various)
    AOL LLU
    Bulldog LLU
    TalkTalk (CPW) LLU
    Sky Broadband / Easynet LLU
    Orange LLU (Formerly Wanadoo)
    Virgin Media (Cable)

I'm with Orange for my mobile so I could get upto 20mbps for £9/month, which is pretty good.

Edric64
    Free Member

We are with talktalk what problems do you have ? ours seems fine

R.lepecha

talktalk customer service is rubbish. our internet has constantly been going off and on since talk talk bought tiscali out.

Spongebob
    Free Member

It depends on where you live mate.

Go to several broadband finder web sites and see what comes up.

I used to use NTL which was taken over by Virgin. Virgin quietly jacked my monthly bill up from £10 to £18 without asking me or notifying me! When I queried it, they steadfastly refused to honour my original agreement with NTL and maintained all was correct with the billing, which had been a verbal NTL agreement. The proof was in the direct debit history, but they weren't interested in investigating this whatsoever.

BTW, try getting a written signed contract out of ANY of these telcos – sheesh, a written contract signed by both parties should be made law!!

So I cancelled Virgin and they slapped me with £36 to terminate even though i was months outside the contract period i had agreed to with NTL. I also never got the extra month I paid for at the beginning of the contract. To top it all, they shut my email accounts down on the day of termination. No period of grace to get these accounts in order, unlike all the other ISP's i have been with in the past.

The word i'd use to describe Virgin is not fit for publication on this site. Sufffice it to say, I would not recommend them to anyone, EVER!

I have a friend who went against my advice and he ended up regretting it too. I had to get my "I told you so" hat out. 😆

wonnyj
    Free Member

No, I wouldn't use them again either.

wonnyj
    Free Member

Is the customer service and reliability from Orange for broadband reasonable?

stumpy01

we've been with talktalk for a while now & it's been fine.
    I think we get phone (inc. BT line rental), free evening & w/end calls & 8Mb broadband for £20.

The broadband is fast. I just re-installed Windows on her indoors laptop as the HDD failed & put Norton on it. It downloaded 99Mb of Norton in ~2 mins.

R.lepecha

we get free landline calls all the time. and the internets relitavley fast, when its working. i dont know how much it is cos my parents pay for it. but were thinking of switching isp's to plus.net. but also as far as i know we dont run a bt line? so we would need switching back over.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

phone virgin up and tell them you want to leave then haggle your way to a better deal with them. thats what i do for mobile contracts and just done with bt for phone and broadband. they'll do you a good deal to keep you as a customer as thats cheaper than finding new customers.

skidartist
    Free Member

anything but wankwank (talktalk as you may know it) jut stay well away

Every telco I've had broadband from has been bought up and ruined by Talktalk a few months after I sign up (with the exception of BT who are so crap even talktalk couldn't ruin them). Quite funny really as I was at school with talktalk's chief exec, he was a nice kid and I've nothing against the guy. However although our paths have never passed since I've always resolutely tried to avoid giving his company any of my money, and yet reluctantly I often do. So while I'm keen to recommend Plusnet who are good value and have been painless to do business with, the fact that I've signed with them means that talktalk's chequebook will be getting dusted off again.

maxray
    Free Member

Hmm had been debating going back to virgin from sky… will give it a bit more thought now.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Funny this should come up now, I have been a very happy Virgin customer for years, shame I had to write them a silly email tonight having cancelled my contract on Sunday 🙁

What does it take to make large companies realise the majority only want a decent service, & the money is only a secondary thing.

BigJohn

I have Virgin TV Phone & Broadband. If you call them and cancel the TV it's a lot cheaper, and you still get the TV.

I can't understand it either…

bauchlebastart
    Free Member

Ditto, the above experiences with Virgin. I am currently trying to leave them, even though they insist I am still under contract. Seems any small change or ammendment to your service (even if it is to correct their own errors) results in resetting to a new 12 month contract. Customer service has been woeful, they don't answer emails or letters, and seem to have a brick wall approach when you try and argue your case. On top of that their landline call prices are some of the most expensive. As soon as I can I am going ditching their broadband, phone service and changing mobile provider also, just don't want to give them any more of my money.

retro83
    Free Member

O2 LLU service is great! Doubled my speed compared to Sky Max Speed ADSL and it's only £7 a month.

The tech support even managed to fix a problem I had as well, which seems to be unusual for a broadband company.

carlosg
    Free Member

http://www.simplifydigital.co.uk/radiotimes .

Like comparison site for broadband/phone/tv ect.

I've been with O2 for a couple of years now £7.50 pm, their customer service is fantastic and uk based/freephone/24 hour , had a few problems at the start with the wireless signal dropping out but thats not happened for a long time.

Cougar

O2 LLU service is great!

O2 LLU is Be Internet rebranded. So they're pretty good, and will offer you a discount over Be's prices if you have an O2 mobile.

From what the OP has said here, I'd be tempted to go with Orange. Presumably that's the same idea that O2 are working to, discounted if you have an Orange phone. You'll struggle to beat that without going for a TV package bundle I reckon.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Orange broadband, they couldn't provide a service to us for weeks due to a problem with their servers, couldn't fix it, contract was up, they were horrendous to exit and had truly, truly, lousy customer service. I'd never touch another Orange product again based on those experiences, and we'd been customers with them from the original Freeserve days without any problems.

Now with Talktalk, BB & phone, and not had any problems, only problem was with router that a call to customer services put right.

Cougar

I wondered about that. I've never had any dealings with them myself, being on O2 since the early Jurassic.

Out of that list then, all other things being equal and without doing any further research, I'd be going with Bulldog. If it were me though, I'd compare pricing for all the LLU providers on the SamKnows site, and have a look online for consumer reviews (with the caveat that you're always going to get some unreasonably disgruntled people.)

I'm currently with Sky, also on that list, but from memory it's only really bargainous if you sign your life away to their phone package and everything else. Might be worth a look at their prices though?

ourmaninthenorth

Wait until the end of the year – I know of at least one of the ISP mentioned above intends to have a fibre (to home) offering available.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Pipex.

BoardinBob

O2 LLU service is great! Doubled my speed compared to Sky Max Speed ADSL and it's only £7 a month.

+1

4.5meg with Sky LLU

Went up to 9 meg with 02 LLU for £10 a month

Trekster

stevenmenmuir – Member
    phone virgin up and tell them you want to leave then haggle your way to a better deal with them. thats what i do for mobile contracts and just done with bt for phone and broadband. they'll do you a good deal to keep you as a customer as thats cheaper than finding new customers.

Always seem to be happy to let me go!! Obviously not spending enough??

ourmaninthenorth

Pipex.

Won't help the TalkTalk naysayers – Pipex was bought by Tiscali, which was then bought by TalkTalk (when TalkTalk was part of Carphone Warehouse – TalkTalk is now a separate company).

Cougar

Pipex.

I'd been with Pipex for years, like since the mid-90s Pipex Dial era. Never had a problem with their provisioning, it was always second to none, but I had cause to ring their support line for an issue and they were so utterly, shockingly, diabolically bad that I upped sticks and moved to Zen.

Zen were excellent, can't fault them but they simply couldn't compete on price with LLU providers so I ended up moving to Sky when I got Sky TV.

Pipex used to be market leaders, but I wouldn't touch them with yours these days (unless they've bucked their ideas up since I threw my toys out of the pram with them). Sad really.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Ending a cash thieving broadband contract and what to replace it with?’ is closed to new replies.