Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Employment advice please
  • JonEdwards
    Free Member

(This is going to be a bit of a ramble/vent, but bear with me)

Almost 2 years ago my other half got put out of work – bit of a complicated situation, but essentially, she’d been working on a modified contract of a years duration that allowed working from home, and the company decided not to renew the working from home bit.

Since then she’s had about 6 weeks “real” work, temping, although she’d been doing a variety of random bits & pieces that pulled in a bit of cash (the latest is cataloguing a library), but mostly living (frugally) off her savings.

Now, she’s a seriously sharp, intelligent person. Public school, Cambridge classics degree, never failed an exam in her life. Picks any mentally challenging stuff up very quickly – not quite doing the Times cryptic crossword in 5 mins (maybe make it 6) – but I’m sure you know the sort.

At her old company, she trained and passed her exams to be an accountant (ACCA), but they then shuffled her sideways to help out on the payroll side of a SAP HR project which needed beta testing – needed accountancy knowledge, but also to pick up IT stuff and work with the SAP consultants. The net result is, is that she’s mid 30s, has accountancy qualifications but no experience and has SAP HR experience but no qualifications.

…and she’s been trying for jobs solidly for the last 18 months and getting sweet FA nowhere. There’s been a couple of interviews. Most applications come straight back as “computer says no”, and I have a feeling that she doesn’t come across in interviews as especially confident – at best she’s understated, and she absolutely cannot bullshit or sell herself to save her life. Honesty may be a virtue, but it don’t make you look special. Employment agencies have been spectaculalrly useless.

The end result of all this of course, is that she’s absolutely down at rock bottom confidence wise “I’m shit and nobody wants me” was what came out shortly before I booted her out the door for a nightride…

I’ve been trying to get her to sort out some form of low paid work, just to get some cash in and stop her sitting at home moping all day – stacking shelves in Sainsburys or working in a pub or cafe (she’s a damn fine cook too), but she’s not having it – “it’ll look crap on my CV” (don’t put it on your CV then) “you won’t be happy if I have to get up at 4.30 in the morning to go to work” (if thats what it takes to get cash in, I’ll gladly deal with it). etc. It’s almost like having to admit to herself that she has to take a minimum wage job to make ends meet is an admission of failure.

I have very little experience in finding work – I’ve had 2 jobs total – the current one for 17.5 years now, and I fell into that by accident, so I’m not being listened to when I suggest stuff “oh you don’t know what it’s like” – maybe, but I’ve sifted CVs and interviewed plenty of people.

Any way. I’m at my wits end, as to what to suggest, and her getting upset and stressed is getting me stressed too, and tht ultimately leads to shoutyness (which won’t improve the situation at all).

Ideas please…?

Thanks!

allthepies
    Free Member

<resists linking to a hot-topic thread>

project
    Free Member

Since then she’s had about 6 weeks “real” work, temping, although she’d been doing a variety of random bits & pieces that pulled in a bit of cash (the latest is cataloguing a library), but mostly living (frugally) off her savings

conservative mp then

m0rk
    Free Member

Could she apply her accountancy qualifications if she had to? Assuming ANOther company would have to train in their policies, procedures, methods etc is it conceivable she could do ‘the job’?

If so… Some rewording of the experience at company X to be less prescriptive to SAP HR stuff could be done?

I see lots of CV’s at work, that have already been filtered by our recruitment team… It’s surprising how bad a CV can read sometimes… Maybe get someone neutral/brutal to cast an eye over? (this is a thinly veiled offer if you wanted)

j450n
    Free Member

Freelance accountancy for small to medium businesses maybe?

slightly less than competitive Set fee in exchange for multiple clients?

Everyone I know who’s gone it alone hates doing accounts apparently.

I know I’m going to.

Sandwich

Working in supermarkets can be difficult to achieve unless you doctor the CV quite heavily. The section supervisors can have a problem with people they think might leave for the next good job offer. Minimum wage can require dumbing down of the CV to get anywhere.

Clover

Whereabouts is she? There may be someone on here she could help out with accountancy experience to get cv points and then either move into full time job or go freelance.

I had to move swiftly from self employed to a job recently and it was easier than I expected. I do communications work though, so talking things up is my stock in trade.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Could she apply her accountancy qualifications if she had to?

Absolutely – she’s kept her CPD up to date, and she’s been trying for accountancy work – its what she wants to do, but no one is biting. Essentially she’s underqualified for senior roles, and is fighting against recent graduates for the basic stuff. Any kind of corporate job application that has an on-line form just knocks it straight back before she even gets a chance to be seen by a real person.

Everyone I know who’s gone it alone hates doing accounts apparently

We have a lot of freelance mates or people who run small companies. They all hate doing their accounts, but they all hate paying someone else to do them more!

Whereabouts is she?

Sheffield

Thanks all!

nwill1
    Free Member

I work in the ‘welfare to work’ sector and have done so for five years…I’ve also been made redundant a couple of times and had a varied career including spending 5 years working in accountancy (I’m only AAT qualified). Add to that with promotions and applying to keeps job through various company changes/takeovers I’ve been through the process many times!

In today’s market it’s not easy to get a job but there are some key things you can do to ensure you get there…

CV – have someone experienced of knowledgeable take a look over it but be aware that each job she goes for amendments and adjustments will need to be made…a CV needs to quickly an clearly demonstrate she meets the essential criteria.

Volume – as stated it’s not easy get a job, a lot of effort needs to go into every application, but the more she applies for the greater her chances (stating the obvious but needs to be said).

Interview skills – just like biking practice make perfect, there is a lot to be gained in improving interview technique I’ve trained and coached many people to succeed at interview…yet when I have one I spend hours and hours preparing (failing to prepare is preparing to fail).

Perseverance – it sometimes looks and feels grim support her through out the whole process and never give up…she will get there!

I know the above is slightly vague but if she works on those areas it will help, there is a lot online that can support with the above…it’s all well and good going through the motions but she needs to be doing the right things in order to secure the job she deserves.

Good luck!

Chew
    Free Member

Jon

Thats my background (although CIMA) so can offer lots of insight into how the market works. Email in profile if you want something specific, CV looking over, contacts or even some interview feedback. I’m based up in Leeds but usually down in Sheffield every couple of weeks with work.

I’ve done plenty of recruitment at that level so have a very good knowledge of what people (like me) are looking for.

Many potential issues, but the main 2 from experience are either people dont know how to sell themselves via interview, or someones qualifications arent matched via their experience whilst studying (ie. they become over qualifed).

Anyway, feel free to get in contact.

br
    Free Member

Location?

1 If urban conurbation then get herself onto the temp market
    2 If rural, then need to travel to 1

I can’t imagine that anyone with decent SAP HR skills can’t get a job, even if just a temp role (somewhere).

NZCol

where are you based ?

totalshell

shes going to have no chance of a role at the sharp end in a supermarket.. her cv will rightly hilight that given the chance she ll be off and leaving her work chums in the doo doo. replacing staff is far from like for like and if one leaves they are rarely replaced so the team leader ( all been made redundant this week at tesco..) has to be sure everyone they employer is A competetant and is B definately stll going to be around in six months..

ianfitz
    Free Member

Get an appointment with an adult careers guidance counsellor (like what my wife is) at Sheffield futures. They can help with cv as well as advice about what your best course of action is.

Email is in profile if you want a bit more info or whatever

rickmeister

Jon, I do career coaching professionally.. Email in profile …

Clover

Doing some work for free to put on CV is no loss if she’s not working. I would rather set myself a goal of doing x work for y weeks for nothing to add to cv than unlimited minimum wage stuff (if obtainable). Current experience always helps. And someone being grateful boosts confidence.
    That and getting CV looked over.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Employment advice please’ is closed to new replies.