• This topic has 140 replies, 56 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by hora.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 141 total)
  • Honda CRV owners …oh deary me
  • richmars

My Forester wasn’t great on mud. No way to lock the diff(s), and I don’t think they were any electronics to help. I’ve now got an X-Trail which has a diff lock switch and some electronics to help, and seems better in the same (or worse) mud. Both had A/T tires.

mildred

I own a 2003 mk2 CRV but drive Discovery 4, BMW X5 twin turbos and the odd basic freelander at work. I used to own an Impreza. The Crv is better than the x5 and impreza but not as good as the discovery and about on par with the freelander in axle deep snow and muddy tracks.

I don’t really care what a nonsensical unrealistic test says about any car. Real world is the important bit.

shifter
    Free Member

Zokes’ annual retelling of the big truck rescue story!

stumpy01

That test does seem pretty unrealistic and Honda have explained why the system doesn’t work in those circumstances. It even explains why it starts to slide off the rollers after a certain time.

Not sure what the issue is….if they had managed to demonstrate the same issue on a wet field or muddy lane, then yes….they might have a point.
    Can’t remember the last time I came across a load of material transfer rollers on the road, but I’ll be sure to look out for them, and if I find myself in a crv I’ll try not to stop my front wheels on them!

hora
    Free Member

The other AWD cars did OK.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

CRV isn’t AWD.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Dont confuse the poor lad kingocelot 🙂

zokes
    Free Member

Zokes’ annual retelling of the big truck rescue story!

😳

Meh. I don’t do much posting these days so just save the better stuff for re-telling 🙂

It’s still a damned sight better at being both a car and a 4wd than most things mentioned above

King-ocelot
    Free Member

trail_rat – Member
    Dont confuse the poor lad kingocelot
    POSTED 34 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

He reminds me of the guy opposite me at work, who came to driving quite late and is desperate to be part of the petrol head club, he told me he didn’t like my new car as he found v6s “too woolfy” I tried to explain it was a straight not a v and the difference between them but I gave up. It turned out his experience of v6’s was a quick test drive at a dealer…

CaptainSlow

I think we get too hung up on awd ability when looking at 4×4. It’s only part of why you buy cars like the crv

trail_rat
    Free Member

Slab sided forks mean the crv doesnt handle well in cross winds ….

Oh wait thats a different subject isnit it.

hora
    Free Member

Mikewsmith I missed your post. With that thinking you’d be happy on any bike in the market.

Yesterday I took a detour off the M62 due to snarl ups and drove over the A640. I wouldn’t have considered doing that in a Golf. Not that they aren’t capable on winters, I just feel relaxed and at ease with the way Subaru’s drive. Guess that’s why I always return to the marque. I’ve owned and driven many Golf derivatives. I found almost all of them abit vanilla. Mmaybe a better drive on the motorway but hey that’s opinion. My bro in law however is a VW Golf fanboi. Loves em. Its all personal preference.

scotroutes

“marque” 🙄

bearnecessities

“Get set….”

saladdodger
    Free Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7jJGURnBNQ

seemed to work in this vid

Does mine work I do not know and I most probably never will because if the conditions are that bad I will not drive.

So why did I buy a CR-V because it is a comfortable mile eater and suits our needs

stumpyjon

Mine’s worked well for 8 years, very reliable, only issues in the snow has been stopping not getting going (and that’s down to my driving not the car). Worked well offroad as well. Only issue we’ve had was putting new deep tread tyres on the front and leaving the old fairly worn tyres on the back. The transmission did not like that, very noisy, new tyres on the back and all was fine.

It’s not a proper 4wd but doesn’t pretend to be but works well when 2wd cars struggle. Now our old long wheelbase Vitara, that was a proper 4wd, low box and everything.

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

Seems pretty clear, there’s a front torque bias under normal use. Rear axle cant handle full torque on its own.

Hora, if you stuck one wheel of a landy on those rollers without the centre diff locked the same thing would happen. With the diff locked, one wheel on each axle on the rollers would have it stuck.
    Should they be remarketed as 1 or 2 wheel drive? Didn’t think so.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Or his subaru kenneth – same thing.

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

Yesterday I took a detour off the M62 due to snarl ups and drove over the A640. I wouldn’t have considered doing that in a Golf.

HARDCORE! I can see why you’re such an expert in off road abilities. Whilst driving a CR-V I regularly drove the A93 through Glenshee (only ever couldn’t get through when the snow gates were closed), B974 Cairn O’Mount (same). and A826 Aberfeldy-Creiff (no snpw gates so never didn’t make it),
    But Rochdale – Huddersfield, that is just awesome.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I’m acquainted with the head stalker on a Highland estate, whose house is up several miles of shitty track, and where the winter snowfall sometimes necessitates him driving his kids down to the main road on the snowmobile to catch the school bus. He has a Hilux, but guess what his wife uses after a series of truly awful LRs – that’s right, a CRV, which apart from snowmobile days that neither his quad or Hilux can cope with, gets everywhere they need to go and doesn’t ever break.

iolo
    Free Member

^^^That can’t be true ( actually I think it is).
    Hora says no way that’s possible but if they do get stuck he’ll pick them up in his Subaru.

soobalias
    Free Member

nice vid saladdodger, but although it shows the rear wheels spinning, it also seems to show a car out witted by 2cm of snow.

molgrips
    Free Member

only issues in the snow has been stopping not getting going (and that’s down to my driving the tyres not the car)

Fixed

trail_rat
    Free Member

It shows a driver outwitted by 2mm of snow. A fully prepped icelandic expolation truck drive like a fud would give similar results as the crv. Yet most 2wd cars driven with some sense would have made t.

The whole purpose f video seems l be to show how the crv rear wheels do work in real world

King-ocelot
    Free Member

soobalias – Member
    nice vid saladdodger, but although it shows the rear wheels spinning, it also seems to show a car out witted by 2cm of snow.
    POSTED 41 MINUTES AGO #

Did you read the description on the video?

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Yesterday I took a detour off the M62 due to snarl ups and drove over the A640. I wouldn’t have considered doing that in a Golf. Not that they aren’t capable on winters, I just feel relaxed and at ease with the way Subaru’s drive. Guess that’s why I always return to the marque. I’ve owned and driven many Golf derivatives. I found almost all of them abit vanilla. Mmaybe a better drive on the motorway but hey that’s opinion. My bro in law however is a VW Golf fanboi. Loves em. Its all personal preference.

Brilliant.

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

Or his subaru kenneth – same thing.

That reminds me of the Impreza I came across on the A90 during the 2010 thundersnow (yes, that is as awesome as it sounds).

I stopped to see if they needed a tow and got out to speak to the driver. I noticed one wheel spinning frantically. ‘Err, has this thing got a centre diff lock mate?’

‘Dunno, whats that?’ says he.

Following a quick squint at the dash, ‘try that button’

*pushes button*
    *drives off*

In conclusion, subarus are terrible. Or is it that you should know how the system works and drive accordingly?

stumpyjon

Molly, does now also have betterer tyres on, hence the saga with noise transmission. Does make a massive difference though with the right tyres.

hora
    Free Member

Rochdale? That’s 11miles from my Victor vector Charlie.

I posted a link then get hungover angry men protecting a retiree’s weapon of choice. Marvelous. Take a bow 😆 what next? Humbugs proven not to be soothing and you’ll get outraged?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Huh , we aint defending subaru’s though.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

I don’t think anyone’s been angry. They are just trying to educate you on different drive systems in cars to counter your opening statement which is poorly informed. It’s clearly not worked.

hora
    Free Member

Neither does the CRV in the OP clip. Give up. You’ll never win.

molgrips
    Free Member

Never win what? What is your actual point, Hora?

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Win what? Everything seems to be going in one ear and out the other with you not really understanding in between.

hora
    Free Member

So you are saying the car throttles test was a false flag? Why didn’t Honda UK pull it apart then? A prime opportunity.

A lockable diff. No offense but Subaru’s aren’t 4×4’s like landies. They are marketed as ALLwheeldrive. Not two spinning whilst waiting for the two rears.

ninfan
    Free Member

What doesn’t seem to tie up with the ‘type of 4wd’ comments is that, when you read the article, They raised this issue with Honda in the previous years review, and Honda seemingly responded with a software update that solved the problem. If they admitted it was a problem last time and changed the software, then it seems very inconsistent to deny there’s a problem now.

Test doesn’t seem that unrealistic for snow and ice.

molgrips
    Free Member

So to sum up – the CRV soft roader doesn’t have full 4wd and gnar offroad features.

Is that a big deal? Does their marketing suggest otherwise?

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

I hate to bring facts to this party, but here’s a good article covering the basics.

http://oppositelock.jalopnik.com/4-a-wd-1451744993

trail_rat
    Free Member

Yep i **** up , forgot my landies only 2 wheel drive till i ask it to be 4wd …..

Its not 1954 any more.

saladdodger
    Free Member

Ah well what the hell I do not really need a 4wd cos I live in devon not the third world 😉
    The CR-V suits me
    BTW how can you tell when the er rear axel kicks in ? would I notice? also I guess you would need winter tyres too

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 141 total)

The topic ‘Honda CRV owners …oh deary me’ is closed to new replies.