Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • empire-pmba-enduro-series-grizedale-gill-cycles report
  • philfive
    Free Member

Empire PMBA Enduro Series (Grizedale Gill Cycles) Report And Results.

Anybody else do this? what was your opinion on using a shortcut to the stage 2 start?

the set route from 1 to 2 was silly long and there was a way to get there without crossing any other stages, is this really cheating?

They are supposed to be fun events and as long as your not cutting corners on the race stages is it such a big issue.

wwaswas

I think it’s a bit like getting an uplift isn’t it?

Shortcut = less riding so you may be fresher for the racey bits?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

the set route from 1 to 2 was silly long and there was a way to get there without crossing any other stages, is this really cheating?

So there was a set route and people took a short cut. Sounds like cheating to me. the race/event is based on completing a distance and doing the tech stages.

gazc
    Free Member

i thought the rules of enduro was that everyone rode the same trail, including the ups, for the whole way round? i suppose cos the climbs/links aren’t timed people will disregard that rule if they see an opportunity to cut the course

saying that i did the NDH enduro at hamsterley a few weeks ago, pretty chilled out event and don’t think anyone would batter an eyelid/give a toss what route you took to the start of the sections

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

They are supposed to be fun events and as long as your not cutting corners on the race stages is it such a big issue.

Of course it’s cheating, if it was easier to do the short course then you could take a far ‘downhillier’ bike, fit supertacky tyres, full body armour for confidence etc. The whole point of Enduro is it’s a lap with timed sections. The transition sections are supposed to be hard enough that the people who put in the hours over the winter getting fit are at an advantage, either by not missing the next start time, being able to manage the above mentioned ‘downhillier’ bike up the climbs, or just being fresher (their choice, it’s a ballanceing act).

If it’s supposed to be a ‘fun’ event, why cheat? Do you hate riding your bike?

philfive
    Free Member

I agree about completing the whole route if it was timed but this wasn’t so you could have a 30 minute rest at each end if you wanted.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Precicely, and you’d be 30 min fresher than the guy your raceing against, which is an unfair advantage. Not far off joining an XC race on the last lap and being quicker than everyone who’s already been out for 2 hours.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The whole route may not have been timed but it was the route. End of, you ride the course. Apart from sportsmanship there is safety as if you skip out and crash the marshal’s don’t know where you are and may spend hours looking for you.

kimbers

its cheating, youd be dq’d if caught at the UK series

happened at a mini enduro I did last year at haldon loads of the locals and the pros, remember dan atherton turning up to the first stage in pristine white kit when i was covered in mud

ks562
    Free Member

Agree people taking the short cut was unfair. I rode the full track like we were meant to – it was a slog in blazing sunshine and I reckon those that skipped the long route would have had much fresher legs, especially considering the stage after the big climb was one of the super pedally ones!! It also mean’t a back log of riders waiting to start stage 2…

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

I went round with three locals who knew the forest like the back of their hands and they thought it was a strange way to get to moor top ( the start of stage 2). As we were going round (and up and down,then up and down again) we were wondering where is everyone else is then got to the start of stage 2 and there was loads of people waiting to set off. To me it looked like more people took the short cut than the proper route round. 👿

philfive
    Free Member

A lot of the people just went straight up the fire road towards moor top, the more intelligent ones went up the side of the black towards start of stage 1 and instead of a left turn they went straight on. turn right at the next jct and you@re back on the route to stage 2 but you have just cut the bottom off.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

It’s not an ‘inteligence’ test though. It’s a fitness and skill test. If the rules weren’t there the fastest time would be to stay in the car park, after all it’s just cutting out the loop-ey bit.

It’s no different to PED’s, would it not be cheating to take a sheload of EPO to make the climbs easier so you could also arrive at the start fresher?

offthebrakes
    Free Member

Why bother to do the event if you aren’t going to ride the course?

If you’re interested in competing, compete fairly, otherwise just go for a ride.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I know Grizedale pretty well but taking a short cut didn’t cross my mind as I just assumed you had to follow the route (there were signs up pointing which way to go, hence the assumption!).

andyrm
    Free Member

It’s cheating. Simple as.

I saw riders getting DQ’d last year at the EWS final for shortcutting a transition to arrive fresher – little did they know there was a waypoint……. Same at the Great Wood round of Enduro1 last season too.

scottfitz
    Free Member

100% cheating. Follow the route and the rules

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘empire-pmba-enduro-series-grizedale-gill-cycles report’ is closed to new replies.