Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Emigrating to other countries..?
  • loddrik
    Free Member

How do you go about it? Do you start the process and then look for a job? Do you have to secure a job first? What sort money do they expect you to bring? Etc etc?

I know it’s a bit vague but my heads all over the place…

iDave
    Free Member

job first in most cases

meehaja
    Free Member

unless you are planning a permanent move, in which case applications can take years, so get in there now, then hunt for a job.

Get skilled as well. A friend of mine who is a paramedic moved to BC, prior to moving he trained as a plumber.

xiphon
    Free Member

Why do you want to emigrate? Britain has plenty to offer, which is why everybody wants to live here…

Kbrembo
    Free Member

Check Visa/work eligibility first.

Good Website

john_drummer
    Free Member

Britain has plenty to offer

yeah, including our wonderful weather. and the traffic jams. and the wonderful “newspapers”

anyway, it was a long time ago, but my sister & her then husband emigrated to Canada back in the early 80s; they had friends who had already done it, who were prepared to “sponsor” them, and IIRC they got jobs lined up before they made the journey.

She’s still there, in northern Alberta, so something must have been right

SaxonRider

Don’t go to Canada. It’s full.

john_drummer
    Free Member

full of bears & moose & elk & wolves & things.

and did I see any of them when I was there? 1 solitary elk in 2 whole weeks.

oh, and a family of raccoons in Stanley Park, Vancouver.

Nick_Christy
    Free Member

i have been thinking about bc or us for some time now.

england has very little to offer at the moment in my eyes except the norm.

i want something a little more than that so im in search. my search has taken me to spain and austria and now thinking where might be a great place to settle.

will watch this space

john_drummer
    Free Member

Vancouver’s lovely, I’d be there like a shot given the chance

flower

SaxonRider

As a Canadian ex-pat, I’ll be happy to help… convince people that it’s a good country to live in.

I know sweet f.a. about visas and things, except in reverse.

donsimon
    Free Member

Emigrating to other countries..?

Other countries are always the best ones to emigrate to. 😈

I spent some time in Madrid before deciding to move here, got a job, then went to collect the rest of the stuff I wanted and stayed. I’ve been in the UK once in 11 years, about 10 years ago and don’t miss a damned thing. 😀

trailmonkey

My 5 year countdown to life in the sunshine started in January.

Already started clueing up on employment, health care, property and logistics issues. Can’t wait, I hate this **** cold, miserable rock.

SaxonRider

Sorry, Trailmonkey; I don’t know where your place in the sun will be, but I lived in the Caribbean for a year and could never live there again. I missed seasons SO much.

mikey74
    Free Member

I’d love to move to BC, Canada myself, but it appears that they aren’t hiring many architectural technicians at the moment 🙁

john_drummer
    Free Member

we have a factory in Surrey, BC, but all our ‘puter jobs in North America are in Florida, which TBH doesn’t appeal – I can sweat for England at -15C so I’d just love the humidity there 🙁

john_drummer
    Free Member

I missed seasons SO much.

that would be Winter, Still Winter, Summer and Nearly Winter then 😉

don’t get me wrong, I loved the place, I’d happily live there

trailmonkey

or, very cold rain, cold rain, rain, cold rain.

GEDA
    Free Member

Where do you want to go and why? EU is easy, you just have to get a job. I went to Sweden with my old job so had it easy. I wanted to do it to learn a new language and experience a different culture. I would wholly recommend it and just remember nothing is forever and if you don’t take risks you don’t get anywhere.

iDave
    Free Member

the OP should try Saudi, no need to deal with pesky women then

john_drummer
    Free Member

or, very cold rain, cold rain, rain, cold rain.

that sounds like here

trailmonkey

that’s because i was talking about here

cynic-al
    Free Member

Can you emigrate to your own country? 😉

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Emigrating to other countries..?’ is closed to new replies.