• This topic has 26 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Esme.
Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Emergency Contact Details?
  • Esme
    Free Member

Just read a thought-provoking post over on a kayaking forum:

Back in April we had a rather silly situation develop. After the death of one of our party, the Police were desperate to obtain an address to visit for next of kin. We were able to provide a phone number taken from a mobile but no one in the party knew the parents or where they lived. In this case, as a student, the university held the required details but was closed that day. Committee members were available but are apparently not allowed to retain this info due to data protection laws. We eventually resolved the issue by finding the driving licence.

So . . . would your riding companions know who to contact on your behalf?

crikey
    Free Member

I’m an ITU nurse and this situation crops up occasionally. My advice is don’t panic about it; we find relatives or significant others quite quickly without any need for special procedures……

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

I’ve got a Road-ID and always wear it on a ride (especially as I’m diabetic)

Would be sensible if everyone had something like it

http://www.roadid.com/Common/default.aspx

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Your uni will have a press office that are available at all times for this very scenario.

northshoreniall

Yep, also ICE number on phone and brother in law gave me ICE tag for Christmas – is usb stick dog tag with all my details, n.o.k., allergies etc.., and even translates into several languages.
    Particularly aware as asthmatic so make point of carrying it and making riding mates know where inhalers are stashed. Anyone am out paddling/ walking/ biking with gets told all this as if asthma kicks off I probably won’t be able to tell them.

mcobie
    Free Member

The club I ride with have started giving members “dog tags” which have a URL printed on them with unique user name and password which when logged into provide all emergency details like medical issues and ICE details.

becky_kirk43
    Free Member

The uni club I go walking with won’t let you on a walk without an emergency contact number. The uni is given a copy of this, one is left on the bus and the walk leader has one as well.

My biking buddy’s know where I live, and I hope would be able to use my phone to get a phone number if necessary.

househusband

I’ve got a Road-ID and always wear it on a ride (especially as I’m diabetic)

Same here – and for the same reason!!!

crikey
    Free Member

…and having emergency contact numbers should come a long way down anyones list of priorities….

I’d be a lot more impressed with some decent first aid training and getting someone to where they can get help rather than worrying about telling relatives….

Fix the problem first, tell people later…

DickBarton

Mcobie – could you send me some details on that please? Sounds like a good idea…we have first aid knowledge/provision on our club runs but things like this for club members could be handy…

Personally I’ve got a Medic Alert – wear it on my wrist 24/7…does the job.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Wot crikey says.

dr_death
    Free Member

I’m an A&E doc and what Crikey says about both getting hold of people and learning some first aid is true…. (I’m sure it’s the only reason I get invited out to ride so often!!)

Oh and NorthShoreNiall – A lot of hospitals won’t let you insert any old USB stick anymore so as to prevent viruses – they block them unless they have been OKed by the IT berks (or work around the protection like mine does….).

Drac

Committee members were available but are apparently not allowed to retain this info due to data protection laws

May I suggest the committee bothers to read the data protection act and see if an authorised body such as the Police asks they can release the info.

northshoreniall

Dr Death for that reason, i think, there is also a blank engrave-able dog tag too so can put basics on (am itu nurse myself in the north east and love the faff around memory sticks- must be somebody raking it in somewhere).

While agree first aid knowledge and how to use it are great, am trainer myself, in the situation described it was somewhat beyond this if from same thread saw on ukriversguidebook?

Drac

USB is a waste of time, try as I might I can’t read them.

mlke
    Free Member

I know Esme was quoting but it seems a bit frivolous to describe the death of a party member as being “silly situation”
    It’s hardly a jolly student jape to return to the student union with one fewer alive people than you set off with.

MarkN
    Free Member

I carry a card with me that has my deatils, next of kin and numbers etc. But as has been said if anyone does find me at the side of the trail tend to the first aid issue first please. Thanks 🙂

andymonty
    Free Member

i have a dog tag i got engraved at local trophy centre

also have a thermal heat label with my name and emergancy contact number stuck to the back corner of my lid….

AnalogueAndy
    Free Member

Funny enough this came up at post ride pub drinkies a few months back, someone spotted the letraset label with NoK, blood and ‘organ donor’ details on the inside of my Giro and asked why I bothered.

A few years back a member of the road club was found unconcious (and later slipped into a coma) at the road side with no ID whatsoever. Police called our Secretary and it took a few calls to potentially very worried loved ones to establish who he was.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Road ID for me. Acts as my medic alert too.

ace_sparky
    Free Member

Road ID for me too, simple, all the info you need quick.

Drac

Seems there’s an ice app for iPhone

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

What a handy app for the iPhone. The iPhone that will probably have a pin code to access like just about everyones is

cinnamon_girl

Once again I’m having to remind myself to get something sorted due to most of my riding being done on my own.

Just a thought, often I use the car so perhaps a sticky label, attached to a dogtag, with its whereabouts.

I really don’t like thinking about this kind of stuff. 🙁

Drac

I don’t know anyone who pin locks their mobile.

bruneep

we just leave them to die, new riders are easy to find. No room for lame riders with us.

Esme
    Free Member

Interesting, and useful, replies – thank you

It’s not an issue when I ride with my regular buddies. But yesterday, I was out with four “friends” from another cycling forum. No addresses, no landline numbers, no partner’s names. With hindsight, it feels a bit irresponsible

Something to consider on STW rides, maybe?

(But at least I’ve done a REC course, and carry a first aid kit)

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Emergency Contact Details?’ is closed to new replies.