Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • email adress why do folks..
  • nonk
    Free Member

not wright them out properly these days?
    yknow..whoeverATwhereverDOTcom.

Vortexracing

Nigerian scammers are the reason

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

mainly so automated phishing prgrammes can't pick them up and recognise them as email addresses. if you put your email address everywhere on the interenet, expect to get more spam/unwanted mail.

crazy-legs

write. Please try and get it right… 😉

🙄

retro83
    Free Member

because people crawl the web looking for anything@anything.something and add the addresses they find to their spam databases

nonk
    Free Member

sorry dude. brainless fek see.
    oh right shall do it myself now then.

IanMunro
    Free Member

The reason is, that some people believe that it's beyond the ability of a computer programmer to be able to write a programme that can search for the strings "at" and "dot" despite the fact that the programmer has the ability to write a programme that automatically sifts through the internet and has the intelligence to auto register and log on to forums 🙂

mrmo
    Free Member

although i doubt it works, it doesn't take a genius to modify the program to look for "at" and "dot" and assume that it is an email address.

IanMunro
    Free Member

For a simple example for how useless 'at' 'dot' are click below 🙂
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q="at+gmail+dot+com"+site:singletrackworld.com

naedeyw
    Free Member

Although people writing phishing programmes so they can sell lists of email addys or spam them are unlikely to want to sift all sentences with the letter combos 'at' and 'dot' in them plus any spaces and re-arrange them as actual email addys. They tend to take the easy route for easy results.

IanMunro
    Free Member

naedeyw, it's a trivial bit of code for a programmer interested in doing such a thing.

naedeyw
    Free Member

Having see your example Ian, it would appear it's a lot easier than I was aware. I take it that it would be fairly straightforward to write a programme to remove the brackets, spaces, etc and produce a list of actual useable addresses.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Yep there's something called regular expressions which is suited to doing exactly this form of patter matching.
    Your best bets for avoiding scam/spam are to just rely on your email spam filter or use temporary disposable email addresses in public places.
    You can try obfuscation by embedding it in an image rather than plain text, but it's a lot of hassle.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

But the software would have to realise it was an email address. It could do this by scanning all the text on all the site pages and matching .*\s?AT\s?.*\s?DOT\s?.* or somat similar [it's been ages since I used regex so someone will have to work this out properly!]

But there is gigquads of text to process on the WWW and it's much a more CPU intensive task than matching .*@.*

nonk
    Free Member

oh right maybee i wont bother me arse to start doing it then.

Rocketdog36
    Free Member

So folk dont spell ADDRESS incorrecty maybe ??

IanMunro
    Free Member

But there is gigquads of text to process on the WWW and it's much a more CPU intensive task than matching .*@.*
    It's slightly more CPU intensive, but when you factor in the time involved in downloading the text to search in the first place and the database management for the emails and the time wastage of doing that and not retrieving an address I doubt it has any significantly measurable effect. In fact i'd imagine it will still up your email address to CPU time efficiency.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘email adress why do folks..’ is closed to new replies.