Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Elixir 5 vs SLX vs oro K24. brakes
  • deanfbm
    Free Member

Which has been faultless for you?

I have juicy 3s at the moment, they can’t cope with the heat i generate, they fade really quickly. i keep on cracking tri-align spacers and am getting fed up of the small gap between the rotor and pads.

SLX is attractive because of the servo wave lever/pad movement, lots of pad/rotor clearance. Doesn’t have tri-align spacers. How do they cope with heat?

Elixir 5s are attractive cos i have juicy 3s at the moment, the pivot point fits my short fingers well. Do the cook as bad as juicy 3s? Any more power?

deanfbm
    Free Member

Evening crew bump.

PlopNofear
    Free Member

I like my SLX’s, on long descents they seem to work fine. Good power, more than enough and they haven’t failed yet.

dab

Got juicy 5’s and I’ll never buy SRAM again
    Shimano all the way 😉

steve_b77
    Free Member

Have both Avid Elixir 5’s and SLX brakes, the SLX were on my FS and now reside on my HT.

The Elixirs have more power and feel better to be fair, the SLX’s can feel a bit lacking in power sometimes although their not, must be the Servowave thingy.

Haven’t got anywhere near cooking either brake on long descents either, they both get hot and stinky but never loose power 😀

Fade wise they’re both on an equal level, both get noisy in the wet, pad life is better on the Shimanos so far. Avids aren’t exactly hard to bleed either unless you’re a hamfisted ijiot

Avids look better, and are pretty damn cheap at Merlin especially with VIP discount 😀

billyboy
    Free Member

I’ve been on SLX ssss for about six months. They don’t dazzle but I haven’t had reason to complain yet.

mikey74
    Free Member

Shimano = hassle free for many years, and then replace when they do eventually go wrong.

I won’t buy any other brakes.

I have SLX brakes, by the way, and used them for the first time in Whistler bike park last year (baptism of fire!!), and they performed flawlessly.

Before that I had the old Saints, and they lasted around 6 years before I eventually replaced them.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Elixir 5 vs SLX vs oro K24. brakes’ is closed to new replies.