Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • Electric guitar for beginners
  • seosamh77
    Free Member

Roter Stern – Member
    Bit OT but I find AmpliTube a bit of a con. I paid for what I thought was the full version but you get all these pop ups all the time telling you that for that feature it’s an extra five euros for that feature it’s an extra five euros and it was quite expensive in the first place IIRC.

Amplitube is expensive no doubt, you get a few free ones, that are fairl average, but then there’s a million other to buy. I do agree there are better out there(As I’ve just discovered above after a quick look prompted by this thread), amplitube just what I’ve had for a while now, I would recommend looking into others, technology is moving on fast on that front.

Edukator
    Free Member

Two different guitars in the same post as you guessed:

1/ classic vibe Tele = one of the nicest guitars I’ve played.

2/ the Squier Bullet Strat in the vid up top which is of the six screw kind and no more likely to return to tune after a dive bomb than my MIM strat. Whereas a well-set up two-bolt does go back to tune when you let the bar go – just my experience.

novaswift
    Free Member

My lad (14)i plays in brass bands but fancied the guitar as a 2nd instrument. I picked up a 2nd hand VINTAGE Les Paul for 150. I had Frank Usher who played with Fish from Marillion set it up for us and this guitar sounds fantastic. He was seriously impressed with it so have a look around for one of these. Serious value for money.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

the Squier Bullet Strat in the vid up top which is of the six screw kind and no more likely to return to tune after a dive bomb than my MIM strat

Guess you didn’t have yours set up very well. I had an MIM Strat with the vintage trem and OK is wasn’t as good as a Floyd Rose but it could certainly return to tune OK at least a couple of times. Strangely PRS are still using a six bolt trem so properly engineered they do work. Mind you I’ve long since swapped to one of these https://www.super-vee.com/

seosamh77
    Free Member

If find my MIM trem is ok, you need to always pull back on the tension to get it to return to normal if you use it alot, it’s fine for delicate tremolo stuff, but anything dive bombish will more or less kill it after a few go’s, I don’t really use a trem though, Most I use it is without the whammy bar these days, and just use the palm of my hand on the actual bridge.

RustySpanner

Harry, how have you two been learning?
    Actual lessons or Justin?

I keep meaning to learn properly.

seosamh77
    Free Member

My verdict on this is, f-ing awesome. tried another few out, head and shoulders above. download the trial, defo worth a go.

Inbred456
    Free Member

Vintage guitars are great. Check out Dave Simpson on YouTube. He has done a lot of reviews on these. Problem is he could make a plank a wood sound good.

seosamh77
    Free Member

I bought a vintage paradise, it’s no bad, ilkinsin pick ups are great in it, if you did a bit of fret work on it and replaced the bridge, nut and tuners it’d be a great guitar. I don’t like les paul style guitars though, so it lives in my brothers house now. Up to him if he wants to do the improvements.

RustySpanner

I like a lot of the Trev Wilkinson stuff and Vintage do some great designs – love the Lemon Drop and the Hendrixy Strat I tried was absolutely spot on.

I’ve got a Squier, one of the Vintage Modified Teles with P90’s.
    It’s my first guitar since I was a youth and I tried everything I could find under £300.
    It’s got a 1 piece maple neck that just felt better than anything else I tried.
    Got it from Johnny Roadhouse, because.

And it looks like this:

which helped.

I also cheekily phoned up ‘Guitarist’ magazine one lunchtime and had a lovely conversation with a staffer who heartily recommended the guitar.

Still fancy a 112V though, in blue
    🙂
    I can vaguely wave a soldering iron around and there’s loads of cheap pickups on eBay.

I console myself with the fact that Leo couldn’t play a note 😀

Harry_the_Spider

Rusty Spanner – Member 
    Harry, how have you two been learning?
    Actual lessons or Justin?
    I keep meaning to learn properly.

My lad is learning Classical through Bury Schools Music Service. I’m following his course at home to keep him motivated, but he is better than me.

RustySpanner

Oof, classical.
    How you finding it?

I find it hard enough keeping three chords together.

How much practice are you putting in?

Harry_the_Spider

All picking, no chords yet.

I try to do 10 minutes a day to keep up with him.

Learning to read music too, which I’m really struggling with.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Get your Angus Young on with one of these:

Epiphone SG Special

Throw in an Orange Crush amp:

Orangey Goodness

I think that would be a cracking set up for learning myself. Should have enough change for a wee bit of overdrive.

I quite like the look of this….

Travis

Harry… are you learning classical on an Electric?

If so, how’s it going?

I’m looking at getting a Guitar, and classical is more my style.

I have young children at home, so I’m looking at something electrical so I can plug in headphones to practise quietly.

Harry_the_Spider

Got both. My lad is being taught classical on his acoustic but he likes to have a mess about on the electric too. He does a Full-On-Hendrix version of London’s Burning.

I’m following him and playing both. I can just about grind out Everybody Hurts, but I’m still only 0.001% of actually being able to play it properly.

The amp that durhambiker kindly gave him means his room is definitely not a quiet place to be! My lad has had it up to 11 once, and got a bollocking off his mother that was up to 12. 😀

durhambiker
    Free Member

Good to hear that the amp is causing the kind of annoyance that Marshalls are supposed to create 😀

sbob
    Free Member

Top job on helping to spread the noise durhambiker. 🙂

beanum

VanHalen

i did 3 justin guitar lessons, got bored playing 3 little birds and then got the ultimate guitar app and started to play Back in Black which is much more fun. havent bothered with justin guitar since as its more fun working it out. There is probably loads of ‘technique’ but **** that – i just want to pretend im in a rock band….

now moving through the clashes ‘stay or go’; suicidals ‘i saw yuor mummy’, and on to the ‘March of the SOD’ and the offsprings ‘burn it up’

power chords for the win.

(the 8yr old is doing guitar at school so i`m doing her practice with her at home. bit od rockabilly, bit of michael jackson – all good practice but nothing more satisfying that smashing out a few saint vitus doom riffs)

its a good distraction from my fractured hip and minimal biking ability.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘Electric guitar for beginners’ is closed to new replies.