Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 121 total)
  • Elbow – worst band ever?
  • PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I’m sure there are worse, but I find every track I have the misfortune of hearing sounds like a particularly grating dirge.

Nico
    Free Member

<cough>Coldplay</cough>

agent007
    Free Member

Define ‘worst’? Totally subjective, depends what sort of music you like.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

But they so achingly worthy….and Northern. Surely that counts for something

😈

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

They are the worst? Fact?

johndoh
    Free Member

Toploader?

funkmasterp

Nickleback, Oasis or Bon Jovi here. One sound like a shite pub band performance of a 60’s and 70’s guitar band Jive Bunny megamix the other two are too Dad Rock for my tastes. It’s all subjective though, one person’s worst band will be somebody else’s favourite. It’s not like anybody forces me to listen to them.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Radiohead.

So depressing that they make Elbow sound like the Vengaboys in comparison.

martinhutch

Mercury Rev

So, so, dismally boring.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I like both Elbow and Radiohead, don’t mind Coldplay or Mumford and sons either.

Fire away.

scud
    Free Member

Not a fan on Elbows music, but got to see them at Wembley a few years ago and they are fantastic musicians and he has a great voice, full of emotion and often singing without backing. He had an easy going demeanour on stage too, stopped one record half way for the band to do shots.

Coldplay to me is the musical equivalent to magnolia paint.

Whereas Radiohead seem to me like they are always more interested in trying to be clever and his voice is kinda like a form of tinnitus.

Then you get Red Hot Chilli Peppers who have somehow managed to be one of the best bands i have seen live and one of the worst bands i have seen live about 3 years apart!

IHN

Nobeerinthefridge – Member

I like both Elbow and Radiohead, don’t mind Coldplay or Mumford and sons either.

Fire away.

*links arms*

All for one and one for all, my brother.

IHN

Elbow[b]Pink Floyd[/b] – worst band ever?

Pimpmaster Jazz – Member

I’m sure there are worse, but I find every track I have the misfortune of hearing sounds like a particularly grating dirge.

FTFY

fasthaggis

What this thread needs,is the OP’s top 5 bands of all time.

Mugboo

Love Elbow and they are even better live.

Coyote
    Free Member

Nobeerinthefridge – Member

Fire away.

*links arms*

All for one and one for all, my brother.

*Joins the line*

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Fasthaggis +1.

mcj78
    Free Member

Pimpmaster Jazz
    I’m sure there are worse

Correct – scouting… for… girls… 😡

binners

vondally
    Free Member

Seen them live at a festival and they did nothing to convince me that they are dire…..truly awful……

I am a northern born bred and raised and there is no excuse for Elbows dirge…..

Pleasant chaps by all accounts

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Define ‘worst’?

Bad singing voice, lack of a decent tune, poor instrumental skills, uninspiring.

So that makes New Order the worst, not Elbow.

DezB
    Free Member

Ah, you know what you’ve gone n done now… wait for it..

swavis

The Smiths

[/end of thread]

loddrik
    Free Member

Elbwho…

Garry_Lager

Mercury Rev

So, so, dismally boring. Mercury Rev’s latter stuff is tedious, no doubt about it. They had a bit of a Bez situation, though – the guy who shambles around on stage and seems to be contributing nowt is in fact critical to the sound.
    Their first two albums are stellar, David Baker was then thrown out for doing everyone’s head in, and the seeds of tedium were sewn.

hot_fiat

On current form: The Stone Roses
    Following the sad demise of their drummer Jon Brookes, The Charlatans: clearly he was the only one sho could stand up to Tim & say “FFS NO!”

Agree with most of those mentioned above, In particuar Mumford & Sons, Coldplay, Mercury Rev & Radiohead. Saw Mercury Rev live in ’98, they were amazing back then, prior to disappearing up their own posteriors.

terrahawk
    Free Member

everyone around here (well, all the 40-something mums and dads) love Elbow cos Guy Garvey lives here. The big chubby bundle of inoffensive shite.

I’m sure there’s a competition between them all as to who ‘knows’ him the best. One chap tries ever-so-hard to look like him too.

The bass player’s daughter is in the same class as one of ours. Meh.

edhornby

The xxx , make elbow look like the prodigy

terrahawk
    Free Member

but anyway. The Smiths. The 2nd-most overrated load of crap ever after James Brown.

binners

Burn the heretic!!!!!!

Pyro

I’d add Athlete to the list, though they are mercifully short-lived in the charts. Elbow and Coldplay, though, totally agree. And the Smiths. And probably the Cure.

JoB
    Free Member

that ‘Entertainment Wallpaper” over the Mumford and Sons picture is meant to be a watermark and not a description yeah?

chakaping
    Free Member

Mercury Rev

So, so, dismally boring.

Hmmm.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVxAQLtpMBA[/video]
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xO_2XPnojpE[/video]

Though I don’t know what their late period stuff’s like.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Na, Joy division, the most overhyped band in history….

nickc

Either manic Street preachers or Muse

Can’t decide

bikebouy
    Free Member

Morbidity droning at its finest..

franki
    Free Member

I absolutely love Elbow!!!
    Seen them 5 times iirc, starting with the second album (Cast Of Thousands)Tour, but not since they became hugely popular & the ticket prices doubled!
    Some of their songs are among the most emotional pieces of music I’ve ever heard. It’s a shame all you seem to hear on the radio is the more commercial stuff like One Day Like This. The first time I saw them perform Newborn live, it literally took my breath away – on a par with the best moments ever at a music event – a full-on assault of the senses.
    Guy Garvey is a great frontman and a sound, down-to-earth bloke. The missus and I met him at the Leaders Of The Free World album launch in Brum.
    I’m not hugely into these kind of bands as a rule, but Elbow have something special IMO.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Surely Sigue Sigue Sputnik must be in the mix .

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

Agree about the Smiths, Morrisey’s voice is the musical equivalent of root canal surgery

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Don’t really know Elbow but people mentioning them in the same sentence as Radiohead, Coldplay and Mumford & Sons leads me to think they’re going to be dire*.

I’d like to add U2 to the list.

Oh and don’t get me started on Muse. Can’t remember why but we bought my in-laws a ticket to see them a while back in Sheffield and they came away saying something like “it was a great spectacle and we want to take you lot to their next gig”. Fk that. I’d rather eat a brick.

* all the above is of course entirely subjective and my own taste in music is probably considered to contain many of the “worst bands ever”.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 121 total)

The topic ‘Elbow – worst band ever?’ is closed to new replies.