Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Eggbeater C – opinions…
  • jimbobrighton
    Free Member

Thinking of getting some eggbeaters, mainly due to my M520s being crap in the mud. found a cheap deal on some eggbeater C. Are they OK or are they simply made of cheese? realistically how often do they need a service, bearing in mind I have not touched my shimano ones in two years and they are fine.

Cheers,

Jim

SteveTheBarbarian
    Free Member

My SLs’ are ready for a rebuild, but I’ve been using them for 2 years, and at least 3000 miles in all conditions. Internally, they’re all the same, so will wear the same – I just don’t like the look of the Cs so much.

iRideSpesh
    Free Member

The only place the Eggbeaters belong is the bin…

iRideSpesh

kevonakona
    Free Member

MIne are fine got them om all bikes. Never serviced just a spray of lube every so often. Each is now over two years old and had lots of abuse, they’ve clocked well over a thousand miles each.

kaiser
    Free Member

aren’t there problems with them eating into the soles of some shoes?

Jezkidd
    Free Member

I’ve killed two sets, then saw the light and moved to time, similar feel but much more robust

fantom
    Free Member

go for it…

I have used them for 5 years, on both MTB and cross race bike. They are light and 4 sided so v.easy to clip-in in race or tricky downhill section. Never had a problem with them clogging with mud, and boy, they’ve seen some…

Yes after around 2 years they might need some new bearings, but this is a 5 minute job with a kit for around 12 from wiggle.

Only don’t buy the expensive titanium ones, no real advantage,

BearBack
    Free Member

I moved to Crankbros after ruining my knees with worn shimano’s. I need crankbros pedals for the added float.

I’m personally not a fan of eggbeaters, but love the candy’s and acids. I find the extra platform on these pedals really helps.
    If you’re one of those people who find themselves hovering between clipped in and clipped out if things get techy, then you’ll not appreciate the lack of platform the eggbeaters provide. in terms of trail pedals, candy’s better, acids best. IMO of course.

If you’re looking at budget, you’ll find the smarties are the candy equivalent of the Eggbeater mixer.. a price point pedal. The Candy C’s should be a similar price point to the Egg c’s.

Having platform will help reduce any shoe sole wear and I opted for shoe shields to protect my shoes.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

there is one excellent reason for using eggbeaters, both crank bros in the US and 2 Pure in the Uk offer quite extraordinary levels of customer service. very nice people to deal with!

smiffy

The open design means they are not as well sealed as Shimano, a small price to pay for far superiour mud and snow performance. They provide a snazzy adaptor to screw in place of the end cap to pump and flush the grease every now and then. I have the originals from when they came out in regular use in South Wales, so ignore internet hearsay. As above the insides are all the same, so C (for Chromed, like Shimano) will perform as well a S (Stainless, unique to Crank Bros). As for wearing your shoes, yes they do, just in a different place to Shimano. If you use the shim provided that wears first.

Trimix
    Free Member

Ive had two sets – each lasted 2 years with no maint at all. I may try maintaining the current pair as its easy and cheap.

They do give you more float than SPD’s which is a great benefit to some.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Eggbeater C – opinions…’ is closed to new replies.