Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Edinburgh climate camp
  • Xan
    Free Member

What's everyones thoughts on the activities of the climate camp. Has it won them or lost them support?

Liftman

Bunch of soap dodging wasters !

thv3
    Free Member

Lost them support.

Did some fairly childish and stupid things and a lot of their eco living was bought, provided and paid for by RBS, so a bit hypocritical there.

For example, they tried to break into the Gogarburn site with bolt cutters, despite having already been invited in by RBS security?

Obviously the front door was not a cool enough entrance for them 🙂

beinbhan

What i want to know is how they all got to Edinburgh seeing as thery are protesting about fossil fuels i presume they all either walked or cycled to Edinburgh

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

Liftman +1

druidh
    Free Member

Time to arm the police.

imnotverygood

Putting diesel on the city bypass was particularly dim. Could've caused a nasty accident especailly to a biker. muppets

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Water cannons to Gogaburn.

druidh
    Free Member

Nobeerinthefridge – Member
    [strike]Water[/strike] cannons to Gogaburn.

TFIFY

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

i want to know is how they all got to Edinburgh seeing as thery are protesting about fossil fuels i presume they all either walked or cycled to Edinburgh

So you can't own a car and be concerned about climate change ? ……..I didn't know that.

And there isn't a railway station or any other form of public transport in Edinburgh ? ………I didn't know that either.

crankboy
    Free Member

"One particular issue that has caused outrage has the been ‘oil on the road’ story that appeared yesterday morning so it’s probably worth setting out Climate Camp’s position on this to hopefully clarify the situation.

The long and short of it is that having asked around, the Climate Camp media team don’t know anything about it and as of yet no one has taken responsibility for it. Furthermore, Lothian and Borders Police’s new release regarding yesterday’s actions does not directly connect the oil spill with Climate Camp. Read carefully and you’ll see that the paragraph about the oil spill makes no connection to the Camp, but rather passively states the Police’s involvement in dealing with a spill. The connection is implied with it being in a press release about the Camp but there’s no actual evidence presented to support this.

While some of the comments to the blog have suggested that the police claimed they traced the oil back to the Camp there has yet to be an official statement from the police on this and again no evidence presented.

People familiar with the way the police have handled Climate Camp and movements for social change in the past will be aware that a tactic often used by the police is to try to discredit us.

For example, ahead of the Climate Camp at Heathrow in 2007 police told the media that activists were planning on issuing bomb hoaxes to disrupt travel which wasn’t true."

Not lost them any support with me and i remain cynical of the police psyop's rememer the lies about Ian Tomlinson's death last year..

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

Other than some vandalism I haven't really noticed their presence. They're not doing themselves any favours to be honest in their way of handling it.

johnfb
    Free Member

Ditto crankboy. I'm not convinced that they're winning any friends but the "diesel" scare reporting pisses me off. An unnamed "police spokesperson" just puts out a quote either without details or deliberately to mislead http://www.lbp.police.uk/press_release/articles/2010/August/23/2.htm

The police then retract the statement later but the story hangs around regardless, regurgitated in coffee rooms and forums, and the protest gets branded as "dangerous extremism".

Not best pleased with plod at the minute. Got hit by a car last week, 100 yards down the road found an officer. He wouldn't do anything to help because he was watching a group four van. Told me to make my own way to the station to register a hit and run that he could easily have pursued.

imnotverygood

Right… so vegetable oil/diesel was poured onto the A720 in the vicinity of a Climate Camp where the protesters are promising 'Direct Action' but it was obviously nothing to do with them 😕

beinbhan

[So you can't own a car and be concerned about climate change ? ……..I didn't know that.]

I didn't say they couldn't own a car, just don't understand how you can use fossil fuels to get to Edinburgh to protest about climate change caused by the use of fossil fuels!

scraprider
    Free Member

C.S gas mixed with water , then let rip with zee water cannons.

johnfb
    Free Member

Good link Stu. I don't know what gets my hackles up more, the fuzz making stuff up or journos failing to do any reporting.

konabunny
    Free Member

so vegetable oil/diesel was poured onto the A720 in the vicinity of a Climate Camp where the protesters are promising 'Direct Action' but it was obviously nothing to do with them

Where was the spill? There's been no evidence of it actually happening.

What was the substance? The A720 and the A8 are two of the busiest roads in Scotland, thousands of vehicles use it every day. Diesel spills are not uncommon ditto waste leaks from dump trucks.

What would be the purpose? All the disruptive direct action has been against RBS etc specifically and there has been nothing similar to that

What's to say that this isn't just a common or garden sticky/oily shit being spilled by a truck going to/from e.g. the food processing plant by the airport or at Ratho?

Still, I guess you can trust whatever the police press office says. Oh… wait…

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Edinburgh climate camp’ is closed to new replies.